After some teasing, a preview test drive and some information leak, the Perodua Aruz 7-seater is officially launched in Malaysia. We had posted details of the Aruz earlier when Perodua announced it open for booking, and we are happy to report that there hasn’t been any significant changes to the facts. That should be comforting news to the 2,200 people who placed a booking since Perodua started accepting it on 3 January 2019.
This is also the first major event for new Perodua President and Chief Executive Officer, Dato’ Zainal Abidin Ahmad who took over the reins from Datuk (Dr) Aminar Rashid Salleh who recently retired. “As a People First company, Perodua has always been about making advanced technology and the latest trends in the automotive world accessible to as many Malaysians as possible,” he commented.
“SUVs are enjoying a big rise globally. Buyers like their versatility, comfort, high driving position, good visibility and increased space while still maintaining a compact footprint. Above all, their appearance projects an active, adventurous and aspirational lifestyle that many desire. With the Perodua Aruz, many more Malaysians can now enjoy the benefits of an SUV, plus advanced features typically found only in pricier vehicles. This makes it among the best-value SUVs on sale today, with space, safety and efficiency elevated,” he added.
The Perodua Aruz is available in two variants – 1.5 X and 1.5 AV, priced at RM72,900 and RM77,900 respectively (on-the-road before insurance in Pen. Malaysia). Warranty is five years or 150,000 km, whichever comes first. The Aruz is the company’s fourth vehicle with EEV (Energy Efficient Vehicle) certification and claims a class-leading fuel economy of 15.6 km per litre. Further, 95% of the components are locally sourced.
The 1.5-litre Dual VVT-i 2NR-VE engine in both variants puts out 75 kW @ 6,000 rpm and 133 Nm of torque @ 4,200 rpm. The power is transferred to the rear wheels via a 4-speed E-AT. This 7-seater SUV boasts 213 litres of luggage space that expands to 514 with the third row folded down.
Features common to both variants are:
- ASEAN NCAP 5-star rating
- Eco Idle system
- Keyless smart entry & push button start/stop
- Built-in toll card reader
- Six speakers
- Two USB ports
- Two 12V sockets
- 11 cup holders
- Digital air-con controller
- Folding & sliding second row seats
- Six airbags (front, side & curtain)
- Anti-lock Braking System with Electronic Brakeforce Distribution & Brake Assist
- Vehicle Stability Control
- Traction Control
- Emergency Stop Signal
- Hill-start Assist
- Reverse camera
- ISOFIX points
- Solar & security window film
- 17″ alloy wheels
- Powered wing mirrors with integrated turn signals
- LED headlights with Follow-Me-Home function, light guides and manual levelling
- LED type rear combination lamps
- Integrated spoiler
The range-topping Aruz 1.5 AV adds on:
- Integrated driving video recorder
- Front fog lamps
- Automatic headlights
- Silver painted rear diffuser
- Roof rail
- Leather seats
- Multimedia system with navigation, Smart Link for Android & HDMI port
- Advanced Safety Assist 2.0
Advanced Safety Assist 2.0 (ASA 2.0) is a driving safety suite using a camera system upgraded to detect both vehicles and pedestrians to help reduce low- to medium-speed accidents. It features:
- Pre-Collision Warning: This alerts the driver when the system detects a risk of frontal collision
- Pre-Collision Braking: The system will apply the brakes when it detects an increasing risk of collision with a vehicle or pedestrian ahead
- Front Departure Alert: This alerts the driver when the vehicle in front has moved and you are still stationary
- Pedal Misoperation Control: This feature will suppress engine power output despite the driver’s throttle input if it detects an obstruction in front.
First Drive Impressions
Earlier on, we were invited to a short drive of the Aruz at Perodua’s test facility, to get a feel of the vehicle. The 1.5-litre 2NR-VE engine is no stranger as it can be found in several vehicles; the same goes for the 4-speed automatic. Power is sufficient to get this 7-seater vehicle going at highway speeds but we think it will be too optimistic for one to make aggressive or brisk overtaking manouevres at high speed, especially when loaded with passengers or goods. The transmission gears down seamlessly when necessary but the engine will roar at higher rpm which is expected given that there are only four gears to work with.
This however, is not a big problem in town driving as we move from traffic light to traffic light. For your school/tuition or pasar runs, the Aruz should be more than adequate to keep up with traffic flow. Also, the advantage of having a rear-wheel drive configuration means the front wheels have a smaller turning radius which makes the Aruz easy to manouevre in tight spaces.
It should also be frugal in heavy traffic since a 1.5-litre block will burn less fuel at idle; the Aruz is also equipped with an idle stop function which switches off the engine when you fully depress the brake pedal. Furthermore, 1.5-litre naturally aspirated means you are eligible for the petrol subsidy. You can read about a similar drive impression here.
Colors available are Ivory White, Glittering Silver, Electric Blue, Granite Grey and Amazon Green (new).
Currently, Perodua is offering all customers who purchase the Perodua Total Protect Plus motor insurance free Perodua Auto Assist benefits, unlimited unnamed drivers, flood allowance of up to RM1,000 and Personal Accident coverage of up to RM10,000.
Check out the videos after the image gallery.