Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Sedan Car Or Pick Up Truck?

• Please log in to reply

roocarroll

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:14 PM

roocarroll

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 597 posts
If you are comparing a Vios or a City with a Hilux then there are a number of definite advantages to getting a truck the first being more metal for your money. You'll have higher running costs in the truck and they are less comfortable to drive but if you want the look and the space, the truck is a better option. You should consider your driving style too. If you like hitting the corners hard, you will hate driving a truck.

jayraptor

Posted 15 April 2012 - 01:34 AM

jayraptor

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts
QUOTE (jfy1774 @ Apr 12 2012, 05:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
dear all,

i'm planning on getting new ride but found some problem on making the decision. budget around 90k below.
ok on normal sedan car at market now but also jelous when see people using pick up truck for their daily used. so tough and macho + FC also like the same with average sedan car. just for city drive + sometimes offroad for fishing, but not so extreme one la.

normal car???
pick up truck???

really need advise on this, thanks

Budget below RM90k, if wanted brand new auto only won't get you any proper 4x4. If you don't mind manual, you could get several that are good. FC wise for 2.5L pickup truck is more equivalent to 1.6L car without VVT or 1.8L/2.0L with VVT depends how you drive. If driven well, you could get 9-10km/L average. New trucks with VGT could get you to 100km/h in 12s, comparable to Vios/City.

If wanted space and more family oriented with passion for power + less worry on getting scratch, go for trucks. If wanted just point A-B cost saving easy maintenance, go for car. Sorry, correction. Nowadays, RM90k budget have wide variety of 1.5/1.6L cars to choose from. Suggest you to test drive all kawkaw before you choose.

jfy1774

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:54 PM

jfy1774

Probation

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
QUOTE (jayraptor @ Apr 15 2012, 01:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Budget below RM90k, if wanted brand new auto only won't get you any proper 4x4. If you don't mind manual, you could get several that are good. FC wise for 2.5L pickup truck is more equivalent to 1.6L car without VVT or 1.8L/2.0L with VVT depends how you drive. If driven well, you could get 9-10km/L average. New trucks with VGT could get you to 100km/h in 12s, comparable to Vios/City.

If wanted space and more family oriented with passion for power + less worry on getting scratch, go for trucks. If wanted just point A-B cost saving easy maintenance, go for car. Sorry, correction. Nowadays, RM90k budget have wide variety of 1.5/1.6L cars to choose from. Suggest you to test drive all kawkaw before you choose.

jayraptor & roocarroll,

really appreciate on your advise.....something to thinked about when read your comment smile_approve.gif
basically i'm a light footer (only after married) since always kene sound by wife when drive like racer...hehehe..... so cornering and speeding not my aim when looking for new ride.
what your opinion if buy 2nd hand truck? ok ke since believe those truck sure kene lenjan teruk punyer before they sold it.

byebye2u, only 3 in my family, including me......so space should be no problem even when future + another 1 or 2...hehehe....really2 considering buying truck. also have manage to racun my wife to consider truck as daily drive since she is the one that will use it for work.

byebye2u

Posted 16 April 2012 - 08:05 PM

byebye2u

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,805 posts
QUOTE (jfy1774 @ Apr 16 2012, 12:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
jayraptor & roocarroll,

really appreciate on your advise.....something to thinked about when read your comment smile_approve.gif
basically i'm a light footer (only after married) since always kene sound by wife when drive like racer...hehehe..... so cornering and speeding not my aim when looking for new ride.
what your opinion if buy 2nd hand truck? ok ke since believe those truck sure kene lenjan teruk punyer before they sold it.

byebye2u, only 3 in my family, including me......so space should be no problem even when future + another 1 or 2...hehehe....really2 considering buying truck. also have manage to racun my wife to consider truck as daily drive since she is the one that will use it for work.

if you want to get a 2nd pickup, get somebody that know about it to assist you. some of the problem easily mask by 2nd dealer. there are owner using it for one year without knowing the turbo not functioning. he he he

roocarroll

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:52 AM

roocarroll

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 597 posts
QUOTE (jfy1774 @ Apr 16 2012, 12:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
jayraptor & roocarroll,

I'm not sure that a truck is suitable for a woman to drive daily to work but maybe your wife is different to mine. It's safer than a Vios though. If I were you I'd discuss a budget with her and then let her pick the car she wants since she's going to be driving it most of the time.

Second hand isn't a great option in Malaysia as there is so much scamming going on and with the resale values so high here and the interest rates higher on second hand cars but it depends on what you can afford. It's best to work out your budget before you go car shopping. Eyes wander easily in showrooms.

jfy1774

Posted 18 April 2012 - 12:10 PM

jfy1774

Probation

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
QUOTE (roocarroll @ Apr 17 2012, 12:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm not sure that a truck is suitable for a woman to drive daily to work but maybe your wife is different to mine. It's safer than a Vios though. If I were you I'd discuss a budget with her and then let her pick the car she wants since she's going to be driving it most of the time.

Second hand isn't a great option in Malaysia as there is so much scamming going on and with the resale values so high here and the interest rates higher on second hand cars but it depends on what you can afford. It's best to work out your budget before you go car shopping. Eyes wander easily in showrooms.

i thinked you're right, not to be selfish since she the one that will be using the car mostly. the car only mine after office hour and during weekend so better her to choose car she prefered that within the budget.
smile_disapprove.gif good advise roocarroll but there goes my dream owning a truck cause yerterday she really excited seeing preeve so i think i now which one she prefer now...huhuhu.....but nevermine la, small sacrifice for bigger gain later....hehehe.....

sape tk syg bini ooooiiiiiii.......thanks all for the advise

spirit36

Posted 29 May 2012 - 10:04 PM

spirit36

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,862 posts
Car is a better buy from the percentage of usage, fit for purpose and who behind the wheel most....
small comparison for you to decide...
1. Tire price
2. Service interval
3. Change sport rim (bigger size)...you be scary to know the cost to "uplift' the truck before you can buy the bigger sport rim...(for Hilux lah, others I think no issue)...
Happy Hunting and Test Drive... smile_thumbup.gif

fernandobu

Posted 07 June 2012 - 10:26 PM

fernandobu

6th Gear

• Members
  • 9 posts
I prefer having the hilux since it has the same D4-D engine together with the hi-ace, Fortuner, and the Innova. The engine seems to be a great platform since it is used to multiple Toyota Vehicles. The only difference is the drivertrain and the differential.
Driving in green
see available autoparts

Tourist

Posted 08 June 2012 - 06:19 AM

Tourist

White Lightning

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,715 posts
QUOTE (fernandobu @ Jun 7 2012, 10:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I prefer having the hilux since it has the same D4-D engine together with the hi-ace, Fortuner, and the Innova. The engine seems to be a great platform since it is used to multiple Toyota Vehicles. The only difference is the drivertrain and the differential.

It's the most unstable pickup for taking corner fast. Go to workshop and you will see the result.

I prefers to use my head than follow the crowd. After all, it is my money and not theirs.

roocarroll

Posted 28 August 2012 - 11:41 PM

roocarroll

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 597 posts
Ironically, I'm now thinking of buying a truck for my wife. We had a look at the Myvi, Exora and Avanza as second cars. My oldest child will be starting school soon so we need a second car. When we got to the Toyota dealership, the Hilux really caught her eye. The idea of my wife driving a pick-up truck seems laughable to me but at least I can be confident that she'll come out of an accident okay. I'm slightly worried for all the other drivers in the Klang Valley though.