Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Best Time To Balik Kampung?

• Please log in to reply

br1

Posted 19 January 2012 - 09:46 PM

br1

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,825 posts
QUOTE (Dmax7 @ Jan 19 2012, 10:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No worries, cage ones. Even those claimed to be wild in PJ, not surprise from the cage besides rivers. How many can tell? smile_approve.gif

Can tell, - for soon hock especially, if the darker colour one is surely 101% cultured in pond, if wild soon hock the tail and fin are reddish colour one.

For pak sook koong and patin same - cultured one in cage are darker coloured, the real wild from the river are more whitish in colour. if I dont see it will ask the captain first, wild from river or cultured fish, if they say river wild - OK, even price higher but if the cheat - easily know when 1 bite in the mouth I know and can ask them to bring back - usually big restaurants dare not cheat as they know their customers will know when they take a bite! small restarant will argued and still say it is wild river fish.

I was in this line b4, hahahaha, and the 7stars grouper we send by air to hongkong from Sabah. Dont eat!!!! we use many type of medication, anti-biotic and ms222 "to sleep" the fish to keep and preserve the fish so it reach hongkong all alike!!! It is OK, but these fishes must be stored and fit for consumption after 7 days but do you think they will wait for 7 days to fee you? hahahaha. Just my 5cts!

Dmax7

Posted 20 January 2012 - 10:27 AM

Dmax7

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 270 posts
QUOTE (vr2turbo @ Jan 19 2012, 05:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The meat are softer leh...... smile_shock.gif

So, when are you guys balik kampung? Today at 4pm was in Sunway, main road all jammed up...... smile_shock.gif

Those cage fishes besides river quality different. May be moving water got more muscle like wild not lembek type unlike pond fishes. biggrin.gif

Dmax7

Posted 20 January 2012 - 10:42 AM

Dmax7

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 270 posts
QUOTE (br1 @ Jan 19 2012, 09:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Can tell, - for soon hock especially, if the darker colour one is surely 101% cultured in pond, if wild soon hock the tail and fin are reddish colour one.

For pak sook koong and patin same - cultured one in cage are darker coloured, the real wild from the river are more whitish in colour. if I dont see it will ask the captain first, wild from river or cultured fish, if they say river wild - OK, even price higher but if the cheat - easily know when 1 bite in the mouth I know and can ask them to bring back - usually big restaurants dare not cheat as they know their customers will know when they take a bite! small restarant will argued and still say it is wild river fish.

I was in this line b4, hahahaha, and the 7stars grouper we send by air to hongkong from Sabah. Dont eat!!!! we use many type of medication, anti-biotic and ms222 "to sleep" the fish to keep and preserve the fish so it reach hongkong all alike!!! It is OK, but these fishes must be stored and fit for consumption after 7 days but do you think they will wait for 7 days to fee you? hahahaha. Just my 5cts!

From motor to traffic jam to makan to fish biggrin.gif. Good to hear from fish expert.

How about breed type but besides river. Can you tell?

Yup, even prawns from the farm. Guess the farmers themselves also dare not eat, or special breed with less antibiotic for themselves. Those fishes in the market majority with formalin. Do we have a choice?

Spoken to some fishmonger cum fishermen in Bagan Datok. Understand KV folks went all the way there to get fishes during CNY. Some questioned them why taste different? So use to and prefer those taste with formalin in big cities.

Bought live lobsters kelong in east coast before. Keep them alive in hibernation mode for more than 7 hrs with some ice and salt water if not mistaken. Trick from kelong owner.

vr2turbo

Posted 20 January 2012 - 10:49 AM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 71,464 posts
That is because they want as fresh as possible, so they think from the port is the best......hahahahaha smile_big.gif

Actually, for those boats that stays a few days for fishing, the fish also deep freezed already..... smile_tongue.gif

So, most of you already balik or preparing to balik??

Dmax7

Posted 20 January 2012 - 01:04 PM

Dmax7

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 270 posts
QUOTE (vr2turbo @ Jan 20 2012, 10:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That is because they want as fresh as possible, so they think from the port is the best......hahahahaha smile_big.gif

Actually, for those boats that stays a few days for fishing, the fish also deep freezed already..... smile_tongue.gif

So, most of you already balik or preparing to balik??

May be some day those folks will follow fishermen to the sea when seafood depleted. biggrin.gif

Plan to be back only midnight tomm. Hope can get traffic condition update in the forum, radio, authority etc.

vr2turbo

Posted 20 January 2012 - 02:57 PM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • 71,464 posts
QUOTE (Dmax7 @ Jan 20 2012, 01:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
May be some day those folks will follow fishermen to the sea when seafood depleted. biggrin.gif

Plan to be back only midnight tomm. Hope can get traffic condition update in the forum, radio, authority etc.

Then it looks bad, as I had the same idea...... smile_blackeye.gif

jimliew

Posted 20 January 2012 - 04:44 PM

jimliew

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
So....when is the good time to balik?

br1

Posted 20 January 2012 - 05:23 PM

br1

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,825 posts
QUOTE (jimliew @ Jan 20 2012, 04:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So....when is the good time to balik?

considered grown rooted in KL/PJ already after 37 yrs here, I stay put for this 2 days ahead and 2 days after then only start moving out - so I dont need to be caught in jam with them. So I usually balik kg, during normal day and preferred on working weekday - for visit old folks and family, jalan2 cari makan along the way to & fro cum business trip - all in together. use to it already. hahahaha. 1 stone kills 3 birds - this way!

vr2turbo

Posted 30 January 2012 - 08:33 PM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • 71,464 posts
Went to North, early on Sunday Morning. Traffic not bad, some areas heavy but still running at 100kmh.
Came back on Thursday also had a good drive..... smile_tongue.gif

Heard my ex-neighbor mentioned Saturday was bad for going North..... smile_blackeye.gif

br1

Posted 30 January 2012 - 08:39 PM

br1

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,825 posts
QUOTE (vr2turbo @ Jan 30 2012, 08:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Went to North, early on Sunday Morning. Traffic not bad, some areas heavy but still running at 100kmh.
Came back on Thursday also had a good drive..... smile_tongue.gif

Heard my ex-neighbor mentioned Saturday was bad for going North..... smile_blackeye.gif

went to east cost on Fri 27/1 and back on Sun 29/1, Road Cleared - can do any speed you like (but watch out for wandering cows!!! 1 cow on the highway and many many cows on kampong roads after Kuantan)