Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Saga Blm

• Please log in to reply

Gunnerzz

Posted 15 September 2010 - 03:07 PM

Gunnerzz

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,102 posts
QUOTE (dabdab @ Sep 15 2010, 11:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
yeah gunn, those if all could weight maybe as heavey as a bicycle.

instead, we can go for an idea of weight saving like replacing our full size spare tyre for a slim spare tyre which can be purchased at chop shop. spare from earlier model of a honda civic with pcd 100 might do.

Thats one way but there are still lots of weight to carry around esp when there are rear passenger.
Last time i was thinking to dump the spare wheel but after installing air injector,the condition improved.

BTW,for a 1.3 the BLM is actually fast if u compare it with other 1.3 NA powered car.
If u know how to manipulate the throttle (auto tranny) u can drive with ease.
With manual,u hav to find the power band of the engine and keep the rev there.

hcgui

Posted 15 September 2010 - 04:13 PM

hcgui

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 267 posts
i've a 2008 BLM Auto. wad i've done to improve my ride (esp low end performance) are:

a) take out spare tyre n put under my seat a can of tyre repair kit bought fr ACE Hardware for RM20++
cool.gif increase cold tyre pressure to 33 psi front n 31 psi back
c) use my preferred 15W-40 mineral engine oil instead of 20W-50 sold by SC
d) replace air filter with Simota drop in
e) replace spark plugs with Bosch Fusion IR
f) installed Pivot Raizin n Spark Earth (bought both second hand at a good deal)
g) replace stock cam gears with Works Engineering ACG n tuned for low end torque
h) replace stock crank pulley with Mythelogy LCP
i) installed UR front strut bar

results: now it drives like a normal 1.5L saloon; performance wise nth spectacular but not feeling lacking anything anymore smile_thumbup.gif smile_thumbup.gif

hcgui

Posted 15 September 2010 - 04:36 PM

hcgui

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 267 posts
oh btw,

suspension wise, i'm perfectly happy with the rigorous research, testing n tuning works done by Proton's engineers, so i leave it stock standard. it does feel a bit soft when pushed near it's limit but still within reasonable tolerance. Proton is famous for it's Lotus Ride and Handling anyway, n they dont simply claim tat without sound engineering.

exhaust wise, going for a 4-2-1 or 4-1 extractor will definitely improve d engine performance by freeing the flow, but at the expense of mother earth, one which i'm not ready to trade. do u know that each catalytic converter cost nearly RM1k to produce because of the amount of platinum needed inside?

my 2 cents. smile_clown.gif

dabdab

Posted 15 September 2010 - 05:39 PM

dabdab

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 470 posts
QUOTE (hcgui @ Sep 15 2010, 04:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
oh btw,

suspension wise, i'm perfectly happy with the rigorous research, testing n tuning works done by Proton's engineers, so i leave it stock standard. it does feel a bit soft when pushed near it's limit but still within reasonable tolerance. Proton is famous for it's Lotus Ride and Handling anyway, n they dont simply claim tat without sound engineering.

exhaust wise, going for a 4-2-1 or 4-1 extractor will definitely improve d engine performance by freeing the flow, but at the expense of mother earth, one which i'm not ready to trade. do u know that each catalytic converter cost nearly RM1k to produce because of the amount of platinum needed inside?

my 2 cents. smile_clown.gif

yeah,
ACG i would say its the most effective way in shifting the torque band. definitely agree. can feel it. stronger acceleration and climb a slope sronger. smile_thumbup.gif

about the exhaust system, it contributes more on the mid-upper range. anyway this is what the R3 way of doing,do the header and skipping the cat. of course a bit of stain seen at the exhaust tip and unpleasant smell of the fume. so ungreen,
but cant resist this mod, the R3 style. ooops sorry R3,

handling wise, i drive with stock suspension nearly 6 month. its tuned to be soft in the rear. and average in the front. i enjoy the car barreling through road imperfection like a conti car. but if i go a bit aggresive at corner. woohoo ,,it scares me. true..

saga blm, have to be driven sedately. i agree, but sometime it overshoots. the campro hunger for needle up like gunnez say if play your right foot right the power is there. so have no choice i pay a visit to after market parts for suspension upgrade.

but i have to respect you for your being concern with cleaner emission with a very sensible modification. smile_thumbup.gif

hcgui

Posted 15 September 2010 - 07:01 PM

hcgui

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 267 posts
QUOTE (dabdab @ Sep 15 2010, 05:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
saga blm, have to be driven sedately.i agree, but sometime it overshoots. the campro hunger for needle up like gunnez say if play your right foot right the power is there.so have no choice i pay a visit to after market parts for suspension upgrade.

this one i totally agree. Saga BLM, Persona, and Satria NEO all has different personalities in terms of R&H. i've tested each one to almost the limit. hehe. they r just meant for different group of customers, so there's just no 'one-size-fits-all', or shud i put it 'one-setting-pleases-all' set-up. it's all about compromises and finding the right balance for the right targeted group.

Proton's Achilles heel has always been their engine, namely the rev-hungry Campro. it's designed from d outset to b driven hard, with perfectly tuned high end power, but when put in a sedate car like BLM, it just don't feel totally right, altho much improved with d IAFM. when it's in a Neo, it feels good tho racing it! but Proton got no other economical options, tat's d problem. end up every new model also Campro only. sad.gif

QUOTE (dabdab @ Sep 15 2010, 05:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
but i have to respect you for your being concern with cleaner emission with a very sensible modification. smile_thumbup.gif

thanks!

Newkelisa

Posted 16 September 2010 - 08:05 AM

Newkelisa

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,537 posts
QUOTE (hcgui @ Sep 15 2010, 07:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
this one i totally agree. Saga BLM, Persona, and Satria NEO all has different personalities in terms of R&H. i've tested each one to almost the limit. hehe. they r just meant for different group of customers, so there's just no 'one-size-fits-all', or shud i put it 'one-setting-pleases-all' set-up. it's all about compromises and finding the right balance for the right targeted group.

Proton's Achilles heel has always been their engine, namely the rev-hungry Campro. it's designed from d outset to b driven hard, with perfectly tuned high end power, but when put in a sedate car like BLM, it just don't feel totally right, altho much improved with d IAFM. when it's in a Neo, it feels good tho racing it! but Proton got no other economical options, tat's d problem. end up every new model also Campro only. sad.gif

Except for cc the Campro in Saga Persona Neo are basically the same engine?

So what's the difference when put in BLM? Was it tuned differently in BLM?

Can't imagine if no IAFM. FC so and so only with my BLM.

I'm not surprised you're saying Campro more racing type. It was developed during TM time and he was a sports car type of person. Look at all the models produced under his time.

dabdab

Posted 16 September 2010 - 10:51 AM

dabdab

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 470 posts
QUOTE (Newkelisa @ Sep 16 2010, 08:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Except for cc the Campro in Saga Persona Neo are basically the same engine?

So what's the difference when put in BLM? Was it tuned differently in BLM?

Can't imagine if no IAFM. FC so and so only with my BLM.

I'm not surprised you're saying Campro more racing type. It was developed during TM time and he was a sports car type of person. Look at all the models produced under his time.

1.3 ,1.6 campro engine design is nearly the same . so the character is nearly the same. valve-train is the same.
the design is toward HP. it breathes batter at high. what happened with fixed setting, low end will suffer.

so here come iafm and vim to correct this problem. but iafm and vim is not as a real timed as a cvvt which is programmed to be adjustable at every 500 rpm throughout all the rpm range. so the competitor is more refine in adjusting the flattest torque even at low. so this advantage is taken to the gear ratio setting for more economical drive. the shift point and the final ratio is to well suit for economical drive.

although iafm taken place, the sweet spot started near midrange and stll bit lacking at low. and at the same time it has to counteract with campro an almost aggresive fixed cam design in order not to loose the HP at high.

so thats about it la, our friend might help to explain batter.

so if people are very concern about FC there are Viva or Myvi or Alto out there to grab.
but for me ride and handling the feel for the car a rigid body also something im looking into. so there are pluses and minuses. love and hate relation is lingering. but for me, when i start the engine ,drove off,,,,proton car is a joy for me. feel sporty..and wanting.

somehow, in 2011/12, proton will product its best engine. we know that dont we,

Gunnerzz

Posted 16 September 2010 - 11:32 AM

Gunnerzz

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,102 posts
IAFM is vacuum-controlled meaning its mechanical.
Making tis perfect is hard coz there will always be delay and being mechanically controlled,the ability is limited.

VIM is electronically controlled.
Coupled with the CPS system,it works just fine to produce a little more grunt on lower rev.
The effect is more evident with manual tranny.

dabdab

Posted 17 September 2010 - 09:39 AM

dabdab

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 470 posts
QUOTE (Gunnerzz @ Sep 16 2010, 11:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
IAFM is vacuum-controlled meaning its mechanical.
Making tis perfect is hard coz there will always be delay and being mechanically controlled,the ability is limited.

VIM is electronically controlled.
Coupled with the CPS system,it works just fine to produce a little more grunt on lower rev.
The effect is more evident with manual tranny.

thanks gunn for further info,
and the beauty of CPS high cam is its capable of 7000rpm for further HP. its perfect to anyone who is rev addicted.

i have some info here about the cvvt it gives some idea of how our car cam or valve timing can be set by using adjustable cam gear. if we look at the table, advance timing will cover nearly a wide range of our daily use of the car which it falls into category 2 and 3 in the graph shown. 2 and 3 is advance intake setting.

http://www.elantraxd...d...VT&p=218860

to joo i suggest this new setting for cam gear is a good deal if you want touch the engine for modification. me and hcgui already did it already. ...anyway its up to u to decide.

fredrick99

Posted 18 September 2010 - 10:10 PM

fredrick99

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 182 posts
Hi all,
My 2009 BLM Auto. wad i've done to improve my ride

a) 15" rim 195/50/15
b)Gab lowered sport spring
c) use my preferred 10W-40 mineral engine oil
d) replace air filter with redline drop in
e) replace spark plugs with Denso IR
f) Exhaust 4-1 ,s-flow rear
g) replace stock cam gears with aerospeed adjustable
h) replace stock crank pulley with redline lightweight crank pully
i) installed redline front strut bar,UR lower front 4 point,lower rear 2 point & ARB
j) brek sys.Change top brek booster to double layer,bendix CT brek pad.

Now need u guys to recomend which brek cliper is most sutible for BLM.
BTW do any of u guys know/seen anybody mod their brek sys b4 for BLM.

Any sifu can help me on this.