Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

2011 Hyundai Sonata I45 - Personal Review

• Please log in to reply

tazzz2010

Posted 01 July 2010 - 11:21 AM

tazzz2010

6th Gear

• Members
  • 8 posts
Ya Informer, I agree with what you wrote.
Here's my 2 cents.
I've been browsing Malaysian forum which discuss about Hyundai car, particularly about Sonata since I am interested in it.
A lot of the comments are centered on how SD should reduce the price of the car, so that it's priced much lower than Camry or Accord, so that Malaysian will buy the car, and blah blah blah..

I personally think that SD should not price the new Sonata too much different from Camry or Accord. Just because a lot of Malaysian think that Hyundai is somehow a notch lower than Toyota or Camry, doesn't mean that positioning the Hyundai brand at much lower price is a good strategy. Lets say if SD really set the price at RM100k for the Sonata, do you think the sales volume will surpass Camry or Accord? It ain't gonna happen, because people will start to raise other points again (e.g. low resale value, lower brand image, etc...).

If you look at other non-mainstream brand such as Lexus and Audi, they don't purposely priced lower than the market leading brand (e.g. Merc or Beamer), because if they did, then it's like indirectly lower their own brand status.

Buying & owing a car is a personal choice. You buy the car for your own enjoyment. For me, as long as I like the car, I will buy it (of course need to be able to afford as well) regardless of what people think about the brand, what the resale value is, etc.. Just like I like the new Sonata and I am going to place a booking very soon. Even if the price is slightly higher than Camry or Accord, I will still buy it because I perceive the car to be of better quality & choice than other competing brands.

I'll choose Sonata not because I can't afford Camry or Accord, but because I like the car.
If more and more Hyundai car buyers start to have the same thinking, then perhaps the brand status will be elevated sooner or later.

Informer

Posted 01 July 2010 - 11:31 AM

Informer

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts
QUOTE (tazzz2010 @ Jul 1 2010, 11:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Here's my 2 cents.
I've been browsing Malaysian forum which discuss about Hyundai car, particularly about Sonata since I am interested in it.
A lot of the comments are centered on how SD should reduce the price of the car, so that it's priced much lower than Camry or Accord, so that Malaysian will buy the car, and blah blah blah..

I personally think that SD should not price the new Sonata too much different from Camry or Accord. Just because a lot of Malaysian think that Hyundai is somehow a notch lower than Toyota or Camry, doesn't mean that positioning the Hyundai brand at much lower price is a good strategy. Lets say if SD really set the price at RM100k for the Sonata, do you think the sales volume will surpass Camry or Accord? It ain't gonna happen, because people will start to raise other points again (e.g. low resale value, lower brand image, etc...).

If you look at other non-mainstream brand such as Lexus and Audi, they don't purposely priced lower than the market leading brand (e.g. Merc or Beamer), because if they did, then it's like indirectly lower their own brand status.

Buying & owing a car is a personal choice. You buy the car for your own enjoyment. For me, as long as I like the car, I will buy it (of course need to be able to afford as well) regardless of what people think about the brand, what the resale value is, etc.. Just like I like the new Sonata and I am going to place a booking very soon. Even if the price is slightly higher than Camry or Accord, I will still buy it because I perceive the car to be of better quality & choice than other competing brands.

I'll choose Sonata not because I can't afford Camry or Accord, but because I like the car.
If more and more Hyundai car buyers start to have the same thinking, then perhaps the brand status will be elevated sooner or later.

Ahhhh... a newbie... smile_thumbup.gif
Welcome to the AW Forum Circus... smile_clown.gif 059.gif

Pls do contribute more and share...

Here... We are FREE to speak our MIND...
And... that's good.... real good... smile_thumbup.gif
Courtesy:
iMotorMy...

chrishow

Posted 01 July 2010 - 01:32 PM

chrishow

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 152 posts
QUOTE (tazzz2010 @ Jul 1 2010, 11:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Here's my 2 cents.

smile_thumbup.gif haha, we have same mind set for New Sonata..
I have placed my booking yesteday and wait for my new toy to come.. the SA said should be delivered by end of the month (July). Hope so la..

jayraptor

Posted 01 July 2010 - 01:37 PM

jayraptor

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts
QUOTE (kenso @ Jun 28 2010, 08:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And in terms of wheelbase, the Ford Mondeo wins all

Mondeo - 2,850mm

Camry - 2,775mm

Accord - 2,800mm

Sonata YF - 2,795mm

Mazda 6 - 2,725mm

P407 - 2,725mm

Hi Kenso & skcheng,

Mazda 6 interior is slightly smaller than Accord & Camry but still larger than C-segment interior in terms of interior width, headroom & legroom. The downside of P407 interior space is only less rear legroom, the rest all fine. Already measured.

Hi limbryan,

It is always wiser to test out a car inside out and everything before deciding which to go. The Sonata YF is one high tech master piece machine. I call it the practical, reliable & durable Mercedes for commoners like us. It could give the feel of luxury and Lancer GT at the same time. Hahaha... smile_big.gif No joke but true. Just drive below 3000rpm and the car is superb. Over 3000rpm transform into luxury enlarged Lancer GT. Get the one with VSC available in high specs, will give more perfect superior handling. I prefer the low spec but not sure whether they can fit VSC on additional charge? I like basic and with that great handling, having VSC will be perfect.

I think many should go for 2nd test drive without flooring the pedal this time. Just try cruising and normal city driving. That'll show its advantages for real. Remember to turn the radio off.

SJ48

Posted 01 July 2010 - 02:02 PM

SJ48

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 220 posts
QUOTE (Informer @ Jul 1 2010, 10:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Moral of the story is..., if some people complain that the 2.0L new Sonata got noisy engine rev, then buy the 2.4L version...
If they still complain... don't buy at all...
Because people with money, don't complain... they just "buy" what they want... laugh.gif
My 2 cents...

Well said informer. smile_big.gif

You buy car because you like, not because what other people say - this and that lah, bla bla bla.

Cheers.

Informer

Posted 01 July 2010 - 02:24 PM

Informer

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts
QUOTE (jayraptor @ Jul 1 2010, 01:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think many should go for 2nd test drive without flooring the pedal this time. Just try cruising and normal city driving. That'll show its advantages for real. Remember to turn the radio off.

yup...
Got another appointment this weekend...
Already spoiled with 6-speed Auto-gearbox smoothness after a few test-drives...

My ride seem to be obsolete now... smile_big.gif
Being poisoned all over the Forum threads... 059.gif

Cars... cars... and more cars...
What to think of next... 059.gif
Too spoiled... need a vacation without driving... laugh.gif
Courtesy:
iMotorMy...

tazzz2010

Posted 01 July 2010 - 04:13 PM

tazzz2010

6th Gear

• Members
  • 8 posts
Now I thinking whether to go for 2.0L high spec or 2.4L.
The 2.4L cost RM20k more than the 2.0L high spec., and I feel the added feature does not really justify the RM20k difference.
But the thought of having more horsepower in the 2.4L keeps enticing me to give it a second thought.
I wonder whether the difference in horsepower between the 2.0L vs. 2.4L will have significant effect on the driving experience.

Informer

Posted 01 July 2010 - 04:29 PM

Informer

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts
QUOTE (tazzz2010 @ Jul 1 2010, 04:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Now I thinking whether to go for 2.0L high spec or 2.4L.
The 2.4L cost RM20k more than the 2.0L high spec., and I feel the added feature does not really justify the RM20k difference.
But the thought of having more horsepower in the 2.4L keeps enticing me to give it a second thought.
I wonder whether the difference in horsepower between the 2.0L vs. 2.4L will have significant effect on the driving experience.

Once discussed with a friend about this...
That extra RM20k just gives you a bigger engine and different gear-shift differential...
Meaning... gear-shift is better on 2.4L with lower ratios...

On the other hand, there is a slight increase of HP and Torque difference between the two...
If you like smoother quiet ride... definitely go for the 2.4L...
because on the Highway... at 3,000RPM... both might be probably be the same...
Courtesy:
iMotorMy...

tazzz2010

Posted 01 July 2010 - 04:46 PM

tazzz2010

6th Gear

• Members
  • 8 posts
QUOTE (Informer @ Jul 1 2010, 04:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Once discussed with a friend about this...
That extra RM20k just gives you a bigger engine and different gear-shift differential...
Meaning... gear-shift is better on 2.4L with lower ratios...

On the other hand, there is a slight increase of HP and Torque difference between the two...
If you like smoother quiet ride... definitely go for the 2.4L...
because on the Highway... at 3,000RPM... both might be probably be the same...

How about the pickup acceleration between 2.0 vs. 2.4 ?
Is there data available somewhere which shows how many seconds needed for the 2.0 and 2.4 to reach 100km/h ?

Informer

Posted 01 July 2010 - 04:53 PM

Informer

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts
QUOTE (tazzz2010 @ Jul 1 2010, 04:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How about the pickup acceleration between 2.0 vs. 2.4 ?
Is there data available somewhere which shows how many seconds needed for the 2.0 and 2.4 to reach 100km/h ?

Of course 2.4L is better...
Like said before...
Look at the Sonata brochure...

Compare gear differential ratios...
got difference... 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 gears ratios...
but final drive, somewhat the same...
Courtesy:
iMotorMy...