Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Ford S-max In Malaysia 2010 ?

• Please log in to reply

daffo

Posted 24 June 2011 - 04:17 PM

daffo

Probation

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
QUOTE (scenic @ Jun 24 2011, 03:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What's wet clutch and dry clutch ? Thanks.

The wet clutch means that the box is filled up with cooling lubricant to give smoother performance and longer life (lubrication). Dry clutch means they are not immersed in the fluid. It is all dry. Ford Fiesta comes with the dry clutch

ymfoo

Posted 24 June 2011 - 08:11 PM

ymfoo

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 230 posts
QUOTE (daffo @ Jun 24 2011, 03:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Let's hope so. I have been looking for MPV. Have considered Mazda 5, Pug 5008, Grandis, the recond Estima. I was attracted to Grandis the most. If S-Max enter that price segment, I think my search is done. So there is a lot of anticipation from me. I have to read the ford forum more to accustom myself with this new taste of conti. Patiently waiting.

Me too, me too!!

Cars, Oh cars......

daffo

Posted 27 June 2011 - 10:11 AM

daffo

Probation

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
I am new to Ford. Just discovered that there is only one service center in JB and one sales center at Taman Tasek.
Went to the sales center last week asking a Sales lady about S-Max. She had no idea what it is and no other brief details given. I went to the shop feeling a bit off and left it even with very bad 1st Impression. I wonder what life is going to be owning a Ford. Perhaps she was expecting a potential Fiesta buyer. Perhaps the upcoming launching of new Ford model would bring some excitement to that center.

My situation here is actually trying to convince myself that it should be ok to switch to Ford. After all we are in a country with the mainstream T & H, trying to break from the 'colony'. So the story begins.....

zentra

Posted 27 June 2011 - 02:32 PM

zentra

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 386 posts
QUOTE (daffo @ Jun 27 2011, 10:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am new to Ford. Just discovered that there is only one service center in JB and one sales center at Taman Tasek.
Went to the sales center last week asking a Sales lady about S-Max. She had no idea what it is and no other brief details given. I went to the shop feeling a bit off and left it even with very bad 1st Impression. I wonder what life is going to be owning a Ford. Perhaps she was expecting a potential Fiesta buyer. Perhaps the upcoming launching of new Ford model would bring some excitement to that center.

My situation here is actually trying to convince myself that it should be ok to switch to Ford. After all we are in a country with the mainstream T & H, trying to break from the 'colony'. So the story begins.....

I have a similar dilemma as u - am thinking of switching to a "cheap" conti owned by one of the few local car monopolies, even after hearing of its bad after sales, but am willing to risk it as I believe currently the contis (and to a certain extent the Korean cars) have got much, much better features compared to the T&H (safety, power, looks, etc).

So it is a BIG risk (in terms of after sales, 2nd hand value, etc) and I guess you have to weigh the pros and cons. For me, Mondeo would be a perfect car for family, but costs too much to risk (and I guess the same can be said of S-max, in my case)...MAYBE in the next 3-5 years if SDAC really proves that it can sell AS WELL AS, support its cars properly then it will certainly be worth considering.

daffo

Posted 27 June 2011 - 03:25 PM

daffo

Probation

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
QUOTE (zentra @ Jun 27 2011, 02:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have a similar dilemma as u - am thinking of switching to a "cheap" conti owned by one of the few local car monopolies, even after hearing of its bad after sales, but am willing to risk it as I believe currently the contis (and to a certain extent the Korean cars) have got much, much better features compared to the T&H (safety, power, looks, etc).

So it is a BIG risk (in terms of after sales, 2nd hand value, etc) and I guess you have to weigh the pros and cons. For me, Mondeo would be a perfect car for family, but costs too much to risk (and I guess the same can be said of S-max, in my case)...MAYBE in the next 3-5 years if SDAC really proves that it can sell AS WELL AS, support its cars properly then it will certainly be worth considering.

This might be a chicken and egg problem.
Low demand, the price drops tremendously. So depreciation grows high within a short time span.

We see T and H everywhere in Malaysia. Depreciation is then not that bad compared to the remaining competitors who then struggle to improve on many things. It takes a lot of effort to improve on things. But they have to start somewhere just like T & H. We need aggressive distributor with the right strategy. If you can't win your existing customers it would be difficult to attract new customers. No doubt they have quality build in these cars but it works elsewhere in other countries where they have larger customer base. Malaysia is different thing altogether. It is about managing perception and going through an evolution cycle. Who knows one day the Korean would be making progress here. Likewise conti. Otherwise it doesn't pay by being unique. Yes, there aren't that many Ford around and it doesn't become a boring sight to own a Ford. However it doesn't work when come to all the other important parts of owning these cars - aftersale, spare part, resale value and e.t.c.

ymfoo

Posted 01 July 2011 - 08:08 AM

ymfoo

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 230 posts
The Mondeo and S Max are launched!!

S-Max OTR is only RM188K. Considering S Max is sold at 10% higher in UK and S'pore market, our price is good!

Will go for a test drive, if everything is good, the deal should be done for me....

Cars, Oh cars......

daffo

Posted 01 July 2011 - 06:51 PM

daffo

Probation

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
QUOTE (ymfoo @ Jul 1 2011, 08:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

S-Max OTR is only RM188K. Considering S Max is sold at 10% higher in UK and S'pore market, our price is good!

Will go for a test drive, if everything is good, the deal should be done for me....

That would really be an exciting MPV new addition to the market after such a long, long time.
Direct competition would be Mazda 8 and Grandis. Price is in between those twos. It is like choosing the middle path. It is like 'Do you get a Mazda 8 or the outdated Grandis? Oh yeah, here come S-Max!'

Having said that, certainly the other considerations would kick in - spare part, maintenance and resale value.
Certainly Ford situation has been better than before but still not good enough. Poor thing.

ymfoo

Posted 02 July 2011 - 08:02 PM

ymfoo

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 230 posts
QUOTE (daffo @ Jul 1 2011, 06:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That would really be an exciting MPV new addition to the market after such a long, long time.
Direct competition would be Mazda 8 and Grandis. Price is in between those twos. It is like choosing the middle path. It is like 'Do you get a Mazda 8 or the outdated Grandis? Oh yeah, here come S-Max!'

Having said that, certainly the other considerations would kick in - spare part, maintenance and resale value.
Certainly Ford situation has been better than before but still not good enough. Poor thing.

Actually the Mazda8 is also at the end of its cycle. The engine is outdated compared to Mazda6. I have driven both Grandis and M8. The Grandis is nice, but the engine and gearbox is totally out of date and it is no longer even available in Japan! M8 is very quiet and smooth except there is hardly any power. There were only 6 people in the car and the M8 could not even pull fast enough to overtake. That was the reason I gave it up.

In terms of service, spare parts and resale value, no other companies except the T, H and N could give high points. And there is no good MPVs from them unless you go for recond. I have made up my mind not to get recond ( so I don't have to fatten the pockets of the open AP holders' pocket ). In reconds you also get warranty or recall issues, so no difference.

Will be going to the Curve to see the S Max tomorrow. It is good on paper but until I see and touch it with my own eyes, I am not convinced.

If you go through the Ford forum, there is hardly any complaints about the service centres unlike the Naza, Hyundai and Peugeot, which is a good thing. Or may be there are too few Fords on the road. But I see quite a good number of Fiestas in town though.

Cars, Oh cars......

Kevin

Posted 03 July 2011 - 03:01 AM

Kevin

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,080 posts
Do note that the S-Max on display at the Curve is not the specification that they will be bringing into Malaysia. The actual specs are on the leaflet on the car itself!

cruzeon

Posted 03 July 2011 - 02:17 PM

cruzeon

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 178 posts
QUOTE (ymfoo @ Jul 1 2011, 08:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

bro, welcome to the ford family. enjoy the comfy rides n safety smile_thumbup.gif