Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Renault Espace !!!!

• Please log in to reply

chrischay

Posted 25 March 2002 - 05:20 PM

chrischay

Advanced

• Members
  • Pip
  • 58 posts
Gurjit, I found out that the new Citroen / Fiat are not cheap either. Selling price is about RM159K without insurance. Honest, me too, can`t afford to have brand new any of these MPVs; but for 2nd hand, still ok.

Espace 2nd hand is going for about RM100-110 depending on year registered; you can get quite well maintained once.

The new Kia Carnival has upgraded their look, I heard.
But personally I don`t fancy Kia because it looks bulky and petrol consumption must be hell lot too !!!Disapprove

chrischay

Posted 25 March 2002 - 05:28 PM

chrischay

Advanced

• Members
  • Pip
  • 58 posts
skynet8, you are lucky Quasar changed a totally new gearbox for you without $$$. I heard the Espace brand new gearbox (original from France) costs RM40K.

I hope my Espace doesn`t give me this problem (a real problem); I spoke to the previous owner of my Espace and they told me the reason they sold this car was because of the gearbox problem. They were quoted by Renault; to change a so called "re-cond" gearbox costs RM17K and the owner decided to drop it at a very..very low price. In fact, the middle man was the one that made a bomb out of this deal.

I was told that Renault car`s major problem is their gearbox; Scenic too, sharing this common problem.

Frown

xinu

Posted 29 March 2002 - 01:02 PM

xinu

Probation

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
Hi Chrischay;

I`ve decided to book the Espace I testdrove last Sunday. It was a tough decision especially after you posted about gearbox problem. Our salesperson who is also from Quasar seems very technical and he convinced me a lot, plus I really like it. I did not get to see other place to make comparison. Was told the condition of the Espace I testdrove was tip topped and from the history record never had major problem, only normal service. Apparently the previous onwer used it a lot on highway.

So in a few weeks time, I`ll be another proud owner of Espace. Mine is RED color with no sunroof or moonroof. Tought it is better not to have one otherwise, my kids will battle with each other to open the roof.

We should form an Espace club, shouldn`t we?

xinuBig Smile

HerrBush

Posted 30 March 2002 - 08:57 PM

HerrBush

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,315 posts
Chrischay, I noticed you also test drove a VW Sharan before buying the Espace.

Can you tell me, why you took the Espace over the Sharan.

I am thinking of getting a MPV sometime in September. Going to have our 3rd child then and having 2 infants and a toddler in a car is going to be quite the pain.

So far drove a Sharan with a 1.9 TDi PD engine to it. It was alright, except the gear shifting was not what I thought it would be.

Tried the Toyota Previa and it was not comfortable and the fuel consumption was somewhat high. But it could sit up to 8 comfortably, also did not care for the dashboard and the overall cheap feeling that came from it.

Also tested the Chrysler Voyager and it was a definate out, 3.3l V6 engine loved to drink and the diesel was really loud. But power wise is the best.

Now looking for an Espace, so far not had the chance to test drive one yet, want to test one that is used for about 6-12 months old.

By the way, what is the difference between a regular espace and a grand espace?

GURJIT

Posted 31 March 2002 - 02:49 PM

GURJIT

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 628 posts
the Grand Espace is longer, probably with some extras.

Cheers.

HerrBush

Posted 31 March 2002 - 06:04 PM

HerrBush

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,315 posts
The GE is longer??

I never noticed it to be longer.

chrischay

Posted 02 April 2002 - 09:20 AM

chrischay

Advanced

• Members
  • Pip
  • 58 posts
Hi,

The Sharan is definately a better car; power is fantastic. The unit my husband testdrove was a 2.8 litre petro engine. You don`t need to accelerate but just a slight tap; the car moves smoothly (I was in the car too). German technology. But bear in mind; some comes in 6 seater only depend on the model arrived.
The main reason why we did not go for the Sharan was because we found out there is no service backup from Auto Dunia. We were informed by Auto Dunia that order and replace of parts take approximately 3 months as they don`t keep stock here. Although the car is brought in by Naza Motors but they still extend their service. The only set back is the stock; imagine one have to put their car in the workshop for 3 months if there is any parts need to be changed. Unless you have extra carsssss...otherwise....

Regular espace is standard length without moonroof where grand espace comes with moonroof and it is almost a feet longer than the standard. The rest are the same.

I have seen 1 Chrysler Voyager nearby my house 2-3 weeks ago; it`s a nice car with leather seat. Anyway, since I chosen espace; might as well stick to it for 5 years at least.
Tongue

chrischay

Posted 02 April 2002 - 09:22 AM

chrischay

Advanced

• Members
  • Pip
  • 58 posts
it`s about a feet longer only and comes with a moonroof. Others are standard.

chrischay

Posted 02 April 2002 - 09:34 AM

chrischay

Advanced

• Members
  • Pip
  • 58 posts
Xinu,

Your suggestion is good; but how to go about doing this? Not only Espace Club, why not include other Renault cars too, ie. scenic, the new 4x4...kangoo.
So that we can share the common problem although this is not what we wish.

How did the sales person convince you to decide on this car ? Mine is Dark Green; so green that it looks like almost black. I am staying around Ampang area; we may look out for each other if there is an opportunity.

Good luck to all Espace owners !!! Wink

xinu

Posted 02 April 2002 - 10:09 AM

xinu

Probation

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
Hi;

Thought of sharing this info with the rest. And I`m glad I chose Espace. The Espace model
tested is the `98 model.

EURO NCAP CRASH TESTS VI

FIT FOR YOUR FAMILY ?

Crash tests
Europe`s top selling MPVs independently rated

RENAULT ESPACE
French favourite posts top result

TOYOTA PICNIC
One of the best in a serious crash

PEUGEOT 806
Fair balance between front, side protection

NISSAN SERENA