TomTom is previewing its new Android-based navigation app at the IFA consumer electronics show being held in Berlin, Germany, this week. Set for release in October 2012, the app will incorporate TomTom’s navigation, map, and traffic technologies. It will carry features such as IQ Routes and HD Traffic to direct users through the fastest routes and provide accurate ETA for better journey planning.
In summary, the TomTom Navigation app for Android will offer drivers:
- World-class navigation – The latest, most accurate TomTom maps available – with no need for a mobile signal or data plan.
- Lifetime maps – Free updates that ensure access to the latest maps and fastest routes.
- IQ Routes – Arrival times that drivers can rely on – at all times of day.
- Advanced lane guidance – Gives drivers extra clarity when navigating difficult junctions.
- Spoken street names – Makes turnings even clearer.
- 2D / 3D driving view – The clearest display for the safest driving.
- TomTom HD Traffic – Available as an in-app purchase. It’s the quickest way through traffic. Proven.
- TomTom Speed Cameras – Available as an in-app purchase. Save money and drive safely with real-time mobile and fixed camera alerts.
This announcement follows the recent release of the TomTom Hands-free Car Kit for Smartphones. The kit allows users to charge their phone and mount it in clear view. An in-built speaker then delivers the highest quality audio for loud and clear navigation instructions and calls.
Picture: Official TomTom release