Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Vw Polo -1.2 Tsi

• Please log in to reply

ktf

Posted 24 May 2011 - 01:14 AM

ktf

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 110 posts
Hi, All Sifu, Might I know what is the FC for this car, car maintenance , any problem for this car, resales value, because I want to search a car for my wife. please give some comment on this car.

teeaseye

Posted 24 May 2011 - 11:47 AM

teeaseye

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 129 posts
QUOTE (ktf @ May 24 2011, 01:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi, All Sifu, Might I know what is the FC for this car, car maintenance , any problem for this car, resales value, because I want to search a car for my wife. please give some comment on this car.

If u're worried about resale value, then this car is not for u.. better look elsewhere. Maintenance is not cheap compared to Jap cars in the same class. However, the average cost of RM700-800 servicing is done every 15k km interval.

FC is better than Myvi and probably matching Kelisa, but performance is exceptional for such a car; can easily shock a 2.0 no problems.

No real problems with the car.

If this is the 1st time u're planning to own a continental car, then there is no better brand to start with than VW. smile_tongue.gif

tiganasfx

Posted 24 May 2011 - 12:20 PM

tiganasfx

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 305 posts
Resale value = signing divorce papers before getting married

ktf

Posted 24 May 2011 - 02:52 PM

ktf

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 110 posts
QUOTE (tiganasfx @ May 24 2011, 12:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi, might I know what meaning .

kcyang

Posted 24 May 2011 - 02:58 PM

kcyang

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 156 posts
QUOTE (tiganasfx @ May 24 2011, 12:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

smile_thumbup.gif smile_thumbup.gif

br1

Posted 24 May 2011 - 03:15 PM

br1

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,825 posts
QUOTE (ktf @ May 24 2011, 02:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi, might I know what meaning .

before you buy you are scare of losing in 2nd hand value! then dont buy!!!

before get married scare of burden or paying / losing too much but shiok you keep quiet?
hahaha know what it meant bow?

rabpaul

Posted 24 May 2011 - 11:49 PM

rabpaul

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
QUOTE (ktf @ May 24 2011, 01:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I want to search a car for my wife.

This is the wrong car for your wife.
Vios and City are all much better options with good resale value, even the Forte or 308Vti is a better choice.
The Polo was designed as a young single person's first car (much like the Viva, Myvi) unfortunately because of local taxes its pricing makes is into a young rich mans car.

kenso

Posted 25 May 2011 - 07:31 AM

kenso

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,592 posts
QUOTE (rabpaul @ May 24 2011, 11:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
... because of local taxes its pricing makes is into a young rich mans car.

What makes you say ktf isn't a young rich man, thereby qualifying him to purchase this car? Simply because of him asking about resale value? That's a pretty big assumption, no?

At any rate, being in the same predicament as you were in, ktf, I'd say the Polo is a good buy for ladies to drive because of the following: -

- excellent power and handling, making it easy to drive, especially when joining fast traffic (ie highways) and overtaking. Taking corners at high speeds are a lot safer done in a Polo than in other Japanese makes (except maybe the Suzuki Swift which is also pretty nifty in tackling corners).
- the size makes it one of the (if not the) easiest car to find and secure parking
- safety with 6 airbags (front, side and curtain) as well as 5-star NCAP safety rating .... all the better to protect your wife
- the prestige of owning a VW vs any Jap is definitely better. The trade off vs any Japanese car is lower resale value (expect to lose minimum 15% resale per year vs probably 10% for Japanese makes)
- if considering against a Peugeot 308, the steering of the Polo is lighter, therefore easier to maneuver at parking lots
- Can't comment about FC as I have never driven a Polo long term but I am guessing it's comparable to the average 500-600km city driving per full tank Vios/City. Service maintenance is probably 20-30% higher compared to Vios/City which services every 5,000km vs Polo's 15,000km.

At the end of the day, since your wife is the main user, do let her test drive all the cars you have shortlisted and let her decide. Better to let the missus do the choosing coz if you picked the wrong car (meaning the car that does not resonate with her), resale value would be the LEAST of your worries smile_big.gif

pat1988

Posted 25 May 2011 - 08:01 AM

pat1988

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts
QUOTE (kenso @ May 25 2011, 07:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What makes you say ktf isn't a young rich man, thereby qualifying him to purchase this car? Simply because of him asking about resale value? That's a pretty big assumption, no?

At any rate, being in the same predicament as you were in, ktf, I'd say the Polo is a good buy for ladies to drive because of the following: -

- excellent power and handling, making it easy to drive, especially when joining fast traffic (ie highways) and overtaking. Taking corners at high speeds are a lot safer done in a Polo than in other Japanese makes (except maybe the Suzuki Swift which is also pretty nifty in tackling corners).
- the size makes it one of the (if not the) easiest car to find and secure parking
- safety with 6 airbags (front, side and curtain) as well as 5-star NCAP safety rating .... all the better to protect your wife
- the prestige of owning a VW vs any Jap is definitely better. The trade off vs any Japanese car is lower resale value (expect to lose minimum 15% resale per year vs probably 10% for Japanese makes)
- if considering against a Peugeot 308, the steering of the Polo is lighter, therefore easier to maneuver at parking lots
- Can't comment about FC as I have never driven a Polo long term but I am guessing it's comparable to the average 500-600km city driving per full tank Vios/City. Service maintenance is probably 20-30% higher compared to Vios/City which services every 5,000km vs Polo's 15,000km.

At the end of the day, since your wife is the main user, do let her test drive all the cars you have shortlisted and let her decide. Better to let the missus do the choosing coz if you picked the wrong car (meaning the car that does not resonate with her), resale value would be the LEAST of your worries smile_big.gif

Actually, only 4 airbags. I didn't choose the Polo because:-

1. Rear space very small. Ok if you have no kids.
2. Build quality not as good as Golf. Perhaps because it is made in South Africa (I was told).
3. Equipment level a bit low/sparse for the price.
4. Maintenance cost same as Golf.
5. For that price, I was comparing with Altis 1.8E (almost same price) and Pug 308T6 (slightly more ex).

If my max budget is around RM110k, I would go for the Altis (also best resale value). Another good value for money car would be the Fiesta 1.6. Flawed as it is, but good value for the RM82k asking price nonetheless (with free servicing I believe). The Pug is also good value but troublesome to maintain if you are unlucky. smile_approve.gif

teeaseye

Posted 25 May 2011 - 02:39 PM

teeaseye

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 129 posts
QUOTE (pat1988 @ May 25 2011, 08:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Actually, only 4 airbags. I didn't choose the Polo because:-

1. Rear space very small. Ok if you have no kids.
2. Build quality not as good as Golf. Perhaps because it is made in South Africa (I was told).
3. Equipment level a bit low/sparse for the price.
4. Maintenance cost same as Golf.
5. For that price, I was comparing with Altis 1.8E (almost same price) and Pug 308T6 (slightly more ex).

If my max budget is around RM110k, I would go for the Altis (also best resale value). Another good value for money car would be the Fiesta 1.6. Flawed as it is, but good value for the RM82k asking price nonetheless (with free servicing I believe). The Pug is also good value but troublesome to maintain if you are unlucky. smile_approve.gif

Yes, it is 4 airbags only for our local Polo TSI. Not sure why there was this perception that it has 6 airbags. Maybe if we count the 'Airbag' emblem in the cabin, it is 6 ??

Polo is meant to be a class below Golf, so everything else should also be a bit lower standard than the Golf.

No doubt Polo in Germany is like Myvi in Malaysia, but the Germans at least are getting a world class quality product, unlike us poor Msian public getting jaguh-kampung quality product in the form of a Myvi, and we are suckered for it.