Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

All Diesel Engine Eventually Need Overhaul?

• Please log in to reply

Tourist

Posted 02 November 2010 - 04:14 PM

Tourist

White Lightning

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,715 posts
QUOTE (bwsy2002 @ Nov 2 2010, 03:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As for immediate solution, I had changed my engine oil to Mobil 15W40 and I will monitor closely if the engine still consume engine oil severely. If not severe, than may be i can make a conclusion that i may have used wrong engine oil so far.

I doubt that Mobil 15W40 will solve anything.

Instead, you should try STRAIGHT RIMULA 40 instead. Not the Rimula 15w40.

http://www.alibaba.c..._Lubricant.html
I prefers to use my head than follow the crowd. After all, it is my money and not theirs.

bwsy2002

Posted 02 November 2010 - 04:28 PM

bwsy2002

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 132 posts
ok. I will try to ask around if I can get that type of oil. Is it mostly used by heavy lorry and truck and bus? will that oil suitable for small 1kz engine?

QUOTE (Tourist @ Nov 2 2010, 04:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I doubt that Mobil 15W40 will solve anything.

Instead, you should try STRAIGHT RIMULA 40 instead. Not the Rimula 15w40.

http://www.alibaba.c..._Lubricant.html

Tourist

Posted 02 November 2010 - 04:43 PM

Tourist

White Lightning

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,715 posts
QUOTE (bwsy2002 @ Nov 2 2010, 04:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ok. I will try to ask around if I can get that type of oil. Is it mostly used by heavy lorry and truck and bus? will that oil suitable for small 1kz engine?

You may find it very hard to believe but that super cheap Rimula SAE40 is better able to withstand tough diesel turbocharging than your super expensive HX7. You have fallen into the common "expensive must be better" trap.

Every Shell petrol station should have that Rimula SAE40. Very common and mostly used by old tired engine like yours.

I prefers to use my head than follow the crowd. After all, it is my money and not theirs.

byebye2u

Posted 03 November 2010 - 02:28 AM

byebye2u

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,805 posts
[quote name='bwsy2002' date='Nov 2 2010, 01:05 AM' post='1624779']
Sorry it is a mistake, the mileage should be 130,000 km.

May I know what type of engine oil you use for your vehicle?

Previously I used Shell diesel semi synthentic oil HX7 with the grade 10w-40, cost me RM100 per bottle (4 litre). I guess it is too liquid and it leaks heavily into combustion chamber. The engine has consumed about 4 litre of engine oil (total is 7 litre) for just 2500km driving distance !!! Consequently, everytime I start engine, the black smoke comes out from exhaust pipe with the black carbon particle in small pieces.

Now the mechanic advise me to use lower grade engine oil which is more viscous to reduce the leakage of engine oil. I dont know whether it gets better or not. The oil is Mobil 40W (i am not too sure as the engine oil comes in 100 litre oil drum)

Did you find out that your engine is a bit harder to start during that period of time when the engine consumed too mch m-oil?

"According to this website and assuming Malaysian HX7 has same specification, HX7 is a totally wrong oil to use (for example, ACEA said it is only for use in small sedan car diesel engines!). No wonder your engine gone so fast. Go get the far far cheaper RimulaX 15W40 or the even better Delo400 15W40. Both oil are far superior to HX7 for Japanese diesel engines. Both oil have the JASO DHD-1 rating."
/quote]

hi bro bwsy2002,
I agree with bro tourist that the problem can start with the wrong engine oil, for turbo diesel engine sometime the mineral oil can perform better than semi or synthetic as long the grade is correct. mine is rexton, so the oil grade is different from yours. previously i'm using fully synthetic but it is actually for petrol engine and consume 1.5 litre of oil for every 5000 km.the diesel itself has a lubricant properties ,( sometimes call "oil burner" )and will protect your engine too, so it is highly unlikely that after 130,000km with wrong engine oil will do so much damage to your engine.your valve,gasket,seal or something might have broken/damage, in my friend car his engine almost empty after 5000 km, after checking we found out it leaks into the gearbox!!.so check thoroughly before deciding to overhaul your engine.

( on my rexton with the wrong grade engine oil, the engine sound rough after only 3000 km, no problem to start the engine )

byebye2u

Posted 03 November 2010 - 02:32 AM

byebye2u

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,805 posts
QUOTE (Tourist @ Nov 2 2010, 10:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That is the reason why I never bother paying for expensive Synthetic or Semi-Syn oil. What for? Better give money to charity instead.

agree bro, especially for turbo diesel the right oil grade is more important than expensive oil.

byebye2u

Posted 03 November 2010 - 02:45 AM

byebye2u

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,805 posts
QUOTE (bwsy2002 @ Nov 2 2010, 04:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

"I doubt that Mobil 15W40 will solve anything.

Instead, you should try STRAIGHT RIMULA 40 instead. Not the Rimula 15w40."

one more thing bro, I notice that your 13yrs prado drive only 130,000km..very low milage for me. diesel engine especially will take longer time to really reach the operating temperature, at least 10 minute of driving or 10 to 15 km!! for the engine oil to be really hot to burn any residue, dirt, water that trap inside it. there are chance your engine suffer from SLUDGE problem. remove the top engine cover or sometime can be seen tru engine oil cap. if not severe a simple flush can reduce the problem. if not $$$$.

Tourist

Posted 03 November 2010 - 07:05 AM

Tourist

White Lightning

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,715 posts
QUOTE (byebye2u @ Nov 3 2010, 02:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
one more thing bro, I notice that your 13yrs prado drive only 130,000km..very low milage for me. diesel engine especially will take longer time to really reach the operating temperature, at least 10 minute of driving or 10 to 15 km!! for the engine oil to be really hot to burn any residue, dirt, water that trap inside it. there are chance your engine suffer from SLUDGE problem. remove the top engine cover or sometime can be seen tru engine oil cap. if not severe a simple flush can reduce the problem. if not $$$$.

130,000-km is nothing to a diesel engine. From my personal 'seat-of-the-pant' experience, it takes about 70,000 to 100,000-km to properly run in an Isuzu engine because after that, only does the engine feels "lighter". So very unlikely to need overhauling, unless you did something stupid to the engine like using wrong oil or never change oil or torn air filter letting in abrasive dust or something.

Like some said, try straight SAE 40 Rimula oil (not Multigrade 15W40), then go onto wide open road and drive really fast as though the devil on your tail. Try dragging the engine to high rpm.

bwsy2002

Posted 03 November 2010 - 09:24 AM

bwsy2002

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 132 posts
OK Thanks for the advice.

All this while we are discussing the matter of whether need an overhaul or not.

I start to discover the engine consuming oil when it is difficult to start intermitantly, regardless the engine is hot or cold. Although I have changed to thicker oil, the starting problem seems to persist.

QUOTE (Tourist @ Nov 3 2010, 07:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
130,000-km is nothing to a diesel engine. From my personal 'seat-of-the-pant' experience, it takes about 70,000 to 100,000-km to properly run in an Isuzu engine because after that, only does the engine feels "lighter". So very unlikely to need overhauling, unless you did something stupid to the engine like using wrong oil or never change oil or torn air filter letting in abrasive dust or something.

Like some said, try straight SAE 40 Rimula oil (not Multigrade 15W40), then go onto wide open road and drive really fast as though the devil on your tail. Try dragging the engine to high rpm.

bwsy2002

Posted 03 November 2010 - 09:30 AM

bwsy2002

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 132 posts
Noted brother. I will bring the car to highway and speed it for hours to get rid of any residual dirt in the engine. I personally think the engine interior may be quite clean becos i just change the engine oil recently.

QUOTE (byebye2u @ Nov 3 2010, 02:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Tourist

Posted 03 November 2010 - 11:13 AM

Tourist

White Lightning

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,715 posts
QUOTE (bwsy2002 @ Nov 3 2010, 09:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I start to discover the engine consuming oil when it is difficult to start intermitantly, regardless the engine is hot or cold. Although I have changed to thicker oil, the starting problem seems to persist.

Thicker oil may make starting more difficult, not easier. But it may reduce engine oil consumption. 2 different things.

Again I am not a mechanic but doubt engine oil consumption has much to do with worn engine.