Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Toyota Corolla Altis Facelift Launched

• Please log in to reply

jayraptor

Posted 29 September 2010 - 10:57 AM

jayraptor

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts
QUOTE (scenic @ Sep 29 2010, 09:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How's DVVTi in comparison with iVTEC ? Thanks.

Hi scenic,

- iVTEC has mechanical valve timing actuators mounted behind the valves cam lobes. K20A in Civic has dual i-VTEC whereas the rest are SOHC engines for the CRV, City and Accord 2.0. More advanced tech when compared to generation 1 VVTi.
- Dual VVTi has hydraulic valve timing actuators in knobs mounted on the pulley of intake & exhaust camshafts. Dual VVTi defeated Honda's iVTEC for the 1st time.

---------------------------------------------------

I have just tested the Altis with 4 full size adults colleagues ranging from 5'5"-5'9" tall + the salesman with belly at around 5'5". Test unit available only the 2.0L. The 1.8E only for display. 1.6E not there at all. Now my review.

Price increased RM3k+ still acceptable for the new engines and gearbox. Vios & Camry facelift price increase are ridiculous since nothing more expensive added.

Engine:
The engines are tuned towards FC, having output/torque slightly higher than old VVTi engines (Check table below). Its output of 140hp@6200rpm with over rev technology is superb with CVT gearbox gives smooth revving. Torque being limited to 187Nm@3600rpm is big letdown. Wonder why can't they just leave it at 194Nm@4300rpm? Then no point buying the 2.0L if I can't harass Civic 2.0 owners, better stick to 1.8L. Pulling power is okay and 187Nm for today's 2.0L standard is considered low. Must be at least 190Nm above.

Performance & Handling:
Acceleration in the 10s range or better. While taking reading of its 0-100km/h, out of a sudden, an Iswara swerved onto my lane at far right wanted to overtake Wira in front without giving signal and yet struggling to overtake forcing me to brake and slow down. When comes to other colleagues' turn, it was closing lunch hour and the road filled with cars. 2 colleagues cancelled test drive.

Power is good but torque just normal. At 2000rpm (confirmed) can reach 80km/h, at 2400rpm get 90km/h then 2700rpm gets 100km/h, dunno at what gear because no indication. No lag but pulling power feel is just like driving normal 2.0L. Only acceleration is good.

Handling has improved over the old Altis. More stable cornering probably that is why the kerb weight has increased by more than 20kg (1.6L & 1.8L). Not much chance to try hard corner but at least get to do some normal cornering at 80km/h. Seems stable with the 2.0L.

Interior Space & NVH:
Interior width gone down, can no longer fit 3 full size adults behind comfortably. Need to squeeze a little, still better than B-segment cars. Door panels thicken because of stupid unnecessary round oval design. Headroom no change, still at 60mm b4 head touching roof.

Going through rough roads, humps and potholes very good, I give high score. Comfort level high if I don't put 3 persons behind. NVH very good overall, comfortable defeating many cars.

Practicality:
Not much electronic gadget, bad thing is EPS is compusory in 1.8E. I want hydraulic power steering. Turning circle improved from 10.6M down to 10m. 1.8 & 2.0 have 60:40 splitfold, very good.

In comparison Altis vs Civic vs Sylphy:
output : 147PS@6200rpm (descent enough with over-rev tech) vs Civic 2.0's 155PS@6500rpm
torque : 187Nm@3600rpm (HEY!! they limited the torque to 187Nm. Other countries get 194Nm@4000rpm)
vs Civic's 188Nm@4500rpm
kerb weight 1315kg (same as Civic 2.0)
Price : RM131k
>> What's the point having less torque? If I wanted super FC, I'll go for 1.8L already. The 2.0L should focus more on performance. If this is the case, I'll just buy Forte 2.0L/Lancer GT/EX (more space/power/torque) if wanted to save money for performance ride or spend few more K for the more luxury feel Sonata YF or even Camry.

output 140ps@6400rpm (over rev tech available, on par with Civic now at 140ps@6300rpm )
old Altis 136ps@6000rpm
torque 173Nm@4000rpm (good torque as it could reach 173nm at 4000rpm compared to Civic's 174Nm@4300rpm) /
old Altis 170ps@4200rpm
kerb weight 1270kg
Price RM112k-116k
My favourite Altis 1.8E, best practicality. I'll consider this 1. Stand chance to humiliate Civic. I think Altis 1.8 will pose dangerous threat to Sylphy 2.0 and even Civic 1.8.

120@6000 (old Altis 110ps@6000rpm) >> power is good, no over-rev available.
154@5200 (old Altis 146Nm@4400rpm) >> 154@5200 is sort of high compared to Forte 1.6's 154Nm@4300rpm. If at 4400rpm does it mean that the Altis has torque of around 148Nm range? Possibly just tuned slightly better than old Altis but have higher limiter.
kerb weight 1250kg >> drastic increased over old model at 1190kg.
Price RM105k >> still ok. Downside no split fold and high RPM for the torque, might not go for this due to many competitors such as Cruze, Forte and coming soon Avante, Verna RB, Focus, etc.

scenic

Posted 29 September 2010 - 11:44 AM

scenic

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,156 posts
Thanks Bro Jay for your sharing here. Cheers. Hmm, let me digest.
director's choice

swinee

Posted 29 September 2010 - 12:53 PM

swinee

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,042 posts
QUOTE (ralf @ Sep 28 2010, 09:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
UMWT has solid reason to jack up next gen Camry price liao..because of DVVTi.. smile_blush.gif

is normal lo..with every new gen of model coming up..sure increase one ma..
i dun recalled any manfacturer where newer model cost lower than outgoing model smile_tongue.gif

next gen all new camry will have new chassis, gearbox, new engine..so is a revolution...juet be prepared smile_approve.gif

swinee

Posted 29 September 2010 - 12:54 PM

swinee

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,042 posts
QUOTE (Joytoy @ Sep 29 2010, 01:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Cannot jack up too high or else how to be class leader ??

There's many kimchi marques trying hard to take some market share.
Of course kimchi marques are "buy once & no next time" but thats gonna affecct the market share.

Anyway for me - I will see what the Cmary has to offer. Mine's still in excellent condition. Maybe I will wait to the next next generation. Camrys are made to last

camry is class leader anywhere worldwide in terms of segment sales smile_blush.gif
is a whole new package..u'll be blown away

retro

Posted 29 September 2010 - 02:11 PM

retro

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 266 posts
QUOTE (jayraptor @ Sep 29 2010, 10:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi scenic,

Practicality:
Not much electronic gadget, bad thing is EPS is compusory in 1.8E. I want hydraulic power steering. Turning circle improved from 10.6M down to 10m. 1.8 & 2.0 have 60:40 splitfold, very good.

Hi Jay,

I would perfer hydraulic power steering as well. The Altis 2.0 that I tried last weekend was simply way to light in its steering for safe, fast driving. There was practically no weight at all. It is good if it is feather light at parking speeds but at about 70kph - 80kph, I expected it to load up a whole lot more but that was not the case. There was no feel and the whole driving experience was flawed because of the steering. But if one were to buy the car to just potter around town, then maybe the super light steering makes sense. But for b-roads, it leaves a lot to be desired.

All other stuff in the car is fine. Just the steering that was overly assisted that didn't do it for me.

Just my humble opinion after my test drive with it last weekend.

ralf

Posted 29 September 2010 - 03:16 PM

ralf

Hot Rod

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10,601 posts
UMWT really efficient, my car arrived within 4days after deposit placed.

There can be only one . âã

ralf

Posted 29 September 2010 - 03:18 PM

ralf

Hot Rod

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10,601 posts
QUOTE (swinee @ Sep 29 2010, 12:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
is normal lo..with every new gen of model coming up..sure increase one ma..
i dun recalled any manfacturer where newer model cost lower than outgoing model smile_tongue.gif

next gen all new camry will have new chassis, gearbox, new engine..so is a revolution...juet be prepared smile_approve.gif

I hope they do something with smaller displacement, 2.0 Camry, FC is so-so only.. smile_sleepy.gif

Joytoy

Posted 29 September 2010 - 03:38 PM

Joytoy

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,148 posts
QUOTE (ralf @ Sep 29 2010, 03:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
UMWT really efficient, my car arrived within 4days after deposit placed.

So you got the new Altis ??

swinee

Posted 29 September 2010 - 04:35 PM

swinee

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,042 posts
QUOTE (ralf @ Sep 29 2010, 03:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I hope they do something with smaller displacement, 2.0 Camry, FC is so-so only.. smile_sleepy.gif

erm...i dun think japanese be it a T/H , they are not going to have a smaller displacement engine..
they still stick to NA policy, so to pump out the output, they have to do wit some newer and more efficient technology like the Valvematic, Dual VVTI, D4-S...
so with those new tech, it might help to achieve better FC.. smile_blush.gif

and that is why there are some reason they are not doing good in Europe, they dun have a proper diesel engine and other Contis equipped thier cars with Turbo and smaller displacement to achieve a similar figures..but too bad T/H and nth to compare with it smile_blackeye.gif

ralf

Posted 29 September 2010 - 10:02 PM

ralf

Hot Rod

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10,601 posts
QUOTE (Joytoy @ Sep 29 2010, 03:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So you got the new Altis ??

Yes, i pick Altis but not Civic.