Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Noise, Vibration And Handling

• Please log in to reply

sugen

Posted 12 July 2010 - 04:00 PM

sugen

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 918 posts
Bro,
your tired worn out at 35k which is pretty fast leh.. I had clock at 32k now, notice that not much wear out on the tyre.. Your stock Dunlop is a soft tyre?

QUOTE (Kevin @ Jul 12 2010, 01:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My stock tyres were Dunlop D01s and they were lousy. They finally worn out at 35k km and I changed to Falken ZE912s and the reduction in noise is very apparent. I won't recommend the Falkens for high-speed wet cornering though. High-speed straight line driving in the wet is not an issue.

Goodyear Assurance, Goodyear Excellence, Goodyear Ducaro GA, Goodyear NCT5 (god forbid, this tyre should be banned for life), buatan Malaysia Dunlops, Simes and Silverstones - all very ordinary tyres.

sugen

Posted 12 July 2010 - 04:03 PM

sugen

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 918 posts
Bro,
Can u share more on high FC.. as i found that Theta Rondo engine is good in FC..

QUOTE (buckeyes @ Jul 12 2010, 02:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As for handling, Rondo drives more like a SUV rather than like a MPV, so expect the ride to be more bumpy. Also, the fuel consumption is pretty high if you drive mostly in city area. However, driving on Highway will improve the fuel efficency greatly. As for noise, I don't consider it low, just acceptable.

Overall I think Rondo Spec-up is a value for money purchase especially with so many freebies throw in.

redwin

Posted 12 July 2010 - 09:36 PM

redwin

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 387 posts
My Rondo NVH...i bole say..good.

I using Michelin XM1 (tx to Pak Lah for duit minyak)..that i bought kat Klang...ok la..cheaper...i was told by the saleslady for low noise, either XM1 or Bridgestone (i forgot which model)...

now so far so good...
erm...

jacst

Posted 13 July 2010 - 06:58 AM

jacst

Advanced

• Members
  • Pip
  • 98 posts
QUOTE (Kevin @ Jul 12 2010, 01:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My other option was that Dunlop Veuro VE302 (difficult to find if you don't know where to look) but that is almost certainly noisier but with much better grip in wet and dry (I have them on my Sonata).

Michelin XM1 is another tyre I have used before and I quite liked them. Very good all-rounder tyres and I remember them to be just as quiet as the Falkens (redwin is using them so you may like to ask him).

Does that means if want better grip in wet and dry conditions, I have to sacrifice for noisier tyre?

wctan

Posted 13 July 2010 - 07:46 AM

wctan

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 143 posts
QUOTE (jacst @ Jul 13 2010, 06:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Does that means if want better grip in wet and dry conditions, I have to sacrifice for noisier tyre?

Yes more a less that is the trade off.. ;-)

Zap188

Posted 13 July 2010 - 02:39 PM

Zap188

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
Has anyone noticed that the roof is much thinner than the body structure. When it rains, the raining sound is so distinct in comparison with my previous car, Proton Waja.

darreltian

Posted 13 July 2010 - 05:36 PM

darreltian

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,823 posts
QUOTE (Zap188 @ Jul 13 2010, 02:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Has anyone noticed that the roof is much thinner than the body structure. When it rains, the raining sound is so distinct in comparison with my previous car, Proton Waja.

any hatchback/suv/mpv that are butt-less are prone to have louder noise generating from the roof when rain....unless adequately insulated...not due to thin roof sheet
another example is the swift

jacst

Posted 13 July 2010 - 06:38 PM

jacst

Advanced

• Members
  • Pip
  • 98 posts
QUOTE (darreltian @ Jul 13 2010, 05:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
any hatchback/suv/mpv that are butt-less are prone to have louder noise generating from the roof when rain....unless adequately insulated...not due to thin roof sheet
another example is the swift

Ya, now that this is mention I notice when it rains, the raining sound is so distinct in comparison with my previous vehicle, Ford Spectron XLT. Guess darrentian nail it.

Kevin

Posted 13 July 2010 - 09:48 PM

Kevin

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,080 posts
QUOTE (wctan @ Jul 12 2010, 03:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Goodyear Assurance, Goodyear Excellence, Goodyear Ducaro GA, Goodyear NCT5 (god forbid, this tyre should be banned for life), buatan Malaysia Dunlops, Simes and Silverstones - all very ordinary tyres.

Kevin,

Well said about the NVH of our rides. On the other hand, I do fully agree with you that the OE tyres are the main cause to the noisy ride. I am thinking of the following as replacement (and even thinking of going to 215/60/16 which is more common):

- anyone knows whether in PJ / Klang area can I get them cheaper? If yes, pls advice. Budget around $400 / pc max. ;-) Thanks!
1. Federal Formoza FD2
2. BS GR80 / 90
3. Michelin XM / Primacy LC
4. PS3

I know PS3 does not come in 60 series but I hope someone can correct me on this. I get my tyres from Hup Shun Sunway and with your budget, you can easily get Primacy LC or Bridgestone GS90.

215/60 R16 is not exactly plentiful as well as I use that size on my Sonata. Slightly better than the 205/60 R16 though.

What will really work is to use 215/55 R16 tyres (tonnes of these in the market) but that would mean a harsher ride. I did not calculate to see if this new size is within the tyre upsize limit.

Kevin

Posted 13 July 2010 - 09:49 PM

Kevin

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,080 posts
QUOTE (sugen @ Jul 12 2010, 04:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Bro,
your tired worn out at 35k which is pretty fast leh.. I had clock at 32k now, notice that not much wear out on the tyre.. Your stock Dunlop is a soft tyre?

Most of my tyres last about 35k km with regular rotation every 10k km. If I am in a good mood, they may last up to 40k km. It's my driving style smile_tongue.gif