Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Noise, Vibration And Handling

• Please log in to reply

ckkew

Posted 09 July 2010 - 10:58 AM

ckkew

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
Hi there guys. When the rondo was introduced in 2008, I heard good things about its low noise, impressive interior (lots of storage spaces!) and responsive handling. My question is - Is those comments still valid for the recent 2010 models especially the spec-up ones? Anyone care to comment?

jacst

Posted 09 July 2010 - 06:44 PM

jacst

Advanced

• Members
  • Pip
  • 98 posts
QUOTE (ckkew @ Jul 9 2010, 10:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi there guys. When the rondo was introduced in 2008, I heard good things about its low noise, impressive interior (lots of storage spaces!) and responsive handling. My question is - Is those comments still valid for the recent 2010 models especially the spec-up ones? Anyone care to comment?
I have the 2009 Rondo, but ...
low noise? It is not as quiet as my old Peugeot 406. On speed above 100kmh the noise is quite loud. Dunno if it is from the tyre or wind turbulence. Anyway the back panel behind the passenger is giving noisy problem. Have already sent to be re-solve 4 times already but till now the service agent is unable to solve it.

There is nothing impressive about the interior. The local agent short change the local people with poor interior materials and full bench passenger seat instead of split to facilitate access to the last row.

If loaded with 6 adults there will be no room for their luggage! There are space for small nick knacks like handphone and Can drinks. There are power point at the passenger rows as well.

Dun expect continental road handling. Also its turning radius is quite big. It has good pick up and able to sustain high speed at about 190Kmh without problems. Drive up Genting on auto is problematic, tends to over rev before dropping to the correct gear. Some forummer suggest to climb hills on manual. For almost a 2liter car dun expect good fuel consumption unless it uses the latest theta engine. I'm getting 12.5liter/100km and 50% is on the NS Highway.
Hope the above helps.

ckkew

Posted 10 July 2010 - 02:34 PM

ckkew

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
QUOTE (jacst @ Jul 9 2010, 06:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have the 2009 Rondo, but ...
low noise? It is not as quiet as my old Peugeot 406. On speed above 100kmh the noise is quite loud. Dunno if it is from the tyre or wind turbulence. Anyway the back panel behind the passenger is giving noisy problem. Have already sent to be re-solve 4 times already but till now the service agent is unable to solve it.

There is nothing impressive about the interior. The local agent short change the local people with poor interior materials and full bench passenger seat instead of split to facilitate access to the last row.

If loaded with 6 adults there will be no room for their luggage! There are space for small nick knacks like handphone and Can drinks. There are power point at the passenger rows as well.

Dun expect continental road handling. Also its turning radius is quite big. It has good pick up and able to sustain high speed at about 190Kmh without problems. Drive up Genting on auto is problematic, tends to over rev before dropping to the correct gear. Some forummer suggest to climb hills on manual. For almost a 2liter car dun expect good fuel consumption unless it uses the latest theta engine. I'm getting 12.5liter/100km and 50% is on the NS Highway.
Hope the above helps.

Your comments seem to suggest that there's a great difference in the build quality between the 2008 and 2009 models. I wonder how much build quality has further dropped or improved in the 2010 models?

Kevin

Posted 10 July 2010 - 09:09 PM

Kevin

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,080 posts
QUOTE (ckkew @ Jul 10 2010, 02:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Your comments seem to suggest that there's a great difference in the build quality between the 2008 and 2009 models. I wonder how much build quality has further dropped or improved in the 2010 models?

With all due respect, your question is very difficult to answer. It is not as if any one person here has 3 Rondos, each from 2008, 2009 and 2010, to drive on a long-term basis. That is why I do not comment when asked these sort of questions.

The only thing that you can be certain of is that 2008 models have the highest specifications of all 3 years. I have heard that 2010 models have introduced some deleted items in the 2009 model but I am not sure so I won't comment further.

Build quality I cannot comment but I doubt it will differ greatly since they are come from the same source (please do not consider 2008 models as CBU and 2009 and later models as CKD - that is a fallacy).

Personally I have no complaints with my 2008 model. Yes, it does not drive like a Continental car but it sure drives a lot better than a Japanese car smile_thumbup.gif I dare say it even has better high speed composure than a Toyota Camry! As mentioned earlier, 190km/h is not an issue as the car remains very composed and planted the faster you drive. A little bird told me that he has done even more than that (195km/h) until he ran out of road!

I too have owned a Peugeot 406 for close to 4 years and although the Rondo has poorer NVH compared to the 406, you must take into account the fact that one is a midi-MPV in a monobox design (which allows for more NVH intrusion) and the other a premium D-segment sedan (back in it's heyday - one hell of car smile_approve.gif ) I thing I would like to add about the 406 - it just isn't as reliable as a Korean car. Been there and done that.

Best that you go for an extended test drive to see if the car is up to your standards.

Jacst,
If you are running your Rondo on stock tyres, change to better comfort tyres when stock tyres are due for replacement. It makes a world of difference. The only other thing you cannot control is the wind noise from the side mirrors when you drive above 110km/h. It is a documented issue with the Rondo worldwide and probably due to the larger than usual side mirrors (but I am not complaining as I can see everything behind me with those lovely side mirrors).

awestone

Posted 10 July 2010 - 10:50 PM

awestone

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 154 posts
QUOTE (Kevin @ Jul 10 2010, 09:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
With all due respect, your question is very difficult to answer. It is not as if any one person here has 3 Rondos, each from 2008, 2009 and 2010, to drive on a long-term basis. That is why I do not comment when asked these sort of questions.

The only thing that you can be certain of is that 2008 models have the highest specifications of all 3 years. I have heard that 2010 models have introduced some deleted items in the 2009 model but I am not sure so I won't comment further.

Build quality I cannot comment but I doubt it will differ greatly since they are come from the same source (please do not consider 2008 models as CBU and 2009 and later models as CKD - that is a fallacy).

Personally I have no complaints with my 2008 model. Yes, it does not drive like a Continental car but it sure drives a lot better than a Japanese car smile_thumbup.gif I dare say it even has better high speed composure than a Toyota Camry! As mentioned earlier, 190km/h is not an issue as the car remains very composed and planted the faster you drive. A little bird told me that he has done even more than that (195km/h) until he ran out of road!

I too have owned a Peugeot 406 for close to 4 years and although the Rondo has poorer NVH compared to the 406, you must take into account the fact that one is a midi-MPV in a monobox design (which allows for more NVH intrusion) and the other a premium D-segment sedan (back in it's heyday - one hell of car smile_approve.gif ) I thing I would like to add about the 406 - it just isn't as reliable as a Korean car. Been there and done that.

Best that you go for an extended test drive to see if the car is up to your standards.

Jacst,
If you are running your Rondo on stock tyres, change to better comfort tyres when stock tyres are due for replacement. It makes a world of difference. The only other thing you cannot control is the wind noise from the side mirrors when you drive above 110km/h. It is a documented issue with the Rondo worldwide and probably due to the larger than usual side mirrors (but I am not complaining as I can see everything behind me with those lovely side mirrors).

like usual, you hit the nails at the right spot kevin. well said.

last time when i had my 2003 honda city i took it to a shop to improve its nvh. and the treatment has proven an effective cure for almost all NVH issues. take note here that i used the word 'almost all' alas i think the amount of about RM2k was well spent.

here is a link to the solution. wonder whether desmond ( the boss )still recognize me after all these years?

http://blog.autoworl...tion-explained/

jacst

Posted 11 July 2010 - 11:56 AM

jacst

Advanced

• Members
  • Pip
  • 98 posts
QUOTE (Kevin @ Jul 10 2010, 09:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Jacst,
Thanks for the insights.
BTW what brand and size of tyres do you suggest? I tend to travel on the highway a lot and hope this car is able to handle water puddles at high speed.

Kevin

Posted 12 July 2010 - 01:17 AM

Kevin

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,080 posts
QUOTE (jacst @ Jul 11 2010, 11:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks for the insights.
BTW what brand and size of tyres do you suggest? I tend to travel on the highway a lot and hope this car is able to handle water puddles at high speed.

My stock tyres were Dunlop D01s and they were lousy. They finally worn out at 35k km and I changed to Falken ZE912s and the reduction in noise is very apparent. I won't recommend the Falkens for high-speed wet cornering though. High-speed straight line driving in the wet is not an issue.

My other option was that Dunlop Veuro VE302 (difficult to find if you don't know where to look) but that is almost certainly noisier but with much better grip in wet and dry (I have them on my Sonata).

Michelin XM1 is another tyre I have used before and I quite liked them. Very good all-rounder tyres and I remember them to be just as quiet as the Falkens (redwin is using them so you may like to ask him).

The problem with the Rondo EXS is that its tyre size is not popular hence limited option for one to upgrade to. Generally speaking, premium 60-series tyres are hard to find and if you do find them, they cost more than 55-series tyres smile_angry.gif If you don't mind, you can get tonnes of mass-market tyres in 60-series but they will fare pretty much like the Dunlop D01s. Noisy with poor grip.

Goodyear Assurance, Goodyear Excellence, Goodyear Ducaro GA, Goodyear NCT5 (god forbid, this tyre should be banned for life), buatan Malaysia Dunlops, Simes and Silverstones - all very ordinary tyres.

buckeyes

Posted 12 July 2010 - 02:13 AM

buckeyes

Driver

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts
QUOTE (ckkew @ Jul 9 2010, 10:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi, I have a 2010 Rondo Spec-up model for the past one and a half month. Some issues that I encountered were:

1) During delivery, noticed Rear spoiler cracked and Chrome piping outlet was not cut properly. (Both rectified within a week)
2) Radio and Dvd player malfunction after 13 days. (Just got my replacement unit last week after waiting for a month!)
3) Heard "ee ee" sound on uneven road and discovered that rear tools compartment not installed properly. (Rectified during my 1000km service)
Hopefully it's just my bad luck for getting a car with so much problems and not because of quality control issues at Naza!!!

As for handling, Rondo drives more like a SUV rather than like a MPV, so expect the ride to be more bumpy. Also, the fuel consumption is pretty high if you drive mostly in city area. However, driving on Highway will improve the fuel efficency greatly. As for noise, I don't consider it low, just acceptable.

Overall I think Rondo Spec-up is a value for money purchase especially with so many freebies throw in.

Kevin

Posted 12 July 2010 - 12:09 PM

Kevin

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,080 posts
QUOTE (buckeyes @ Jul 12 2010, 02:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi, I have a 2010 Rondo Spec-up model for the past one and a half month. Some issues that I encountered were:

1) During delivery, noticed Rear spoiler cracked and Chrome piping outlet was not cut properly. (Both rectified within a week)
2) Radio and Dvd player malfunction after 13 days. (Just got my replacement unit last week after waiting for a month!)
3) Heard "ee ee" sound on uneven road and discovered that rear tools compartment not installed properly. (Rectified during my 1000km service)
Hopefully it's just my bad luck for getting a car with so much problems and not because of quality control issues at Naza!!!

As for handling, Rondo drives more like a SUV rather than like a MPV, so expect the ride to be more bumpy. Also, the fuel consumption is pretty high if you drive mostly in city area. However, driving on Highway will improve the fuel efficency greatly. As for noise, I don't consider it low, just acceptable.

Overall I think Rondo Spec-up is a value for money purchase especially with so many freebies throw in.

For me, your problems are relatively minor and something that I can accept.

wctan

Posted 12 July 2010 - 03:17 PM

wctan

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 143 posts
Goodyear Assurance, Goodyear Excellence, Goodyear Ducaro GA, Goodyear NCT5 (god forbid, this tyre should be banned for life), buatan Malaysia Dunlops, Simes and Silverstones - all very ordinary tyres.
[/quote]

Kevin,

Well said about the NVH of our rides. On the other hand, I do fully agree with you that the OE tyres are the main cause to the noisy ride. I am thinking of the following as replacement (and even thinking of going to 215/60/16 which is more common):

- anyone knows whether in PJ / Klang area can I get them cheaper? If yes, pls advice. Budget around $400 / pc max. ;-) Thanks!
1. Federal Formoza FD2
2. BS GR80 / 90
3. Michelin XM / Primacy LC
4. PS3