Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Camry: To Buy Or Not To Buy ?

• Please log in to reply

simonlim

Posted 13 January 2009 - 10:33 PM

simonlim

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,578 posts
QUOTE (dawshuenn @ Jan 13 2009, 10:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi ALL,

Thanks a lot. Appreciate all the expert opinions here. I thoroughly agreed with the comments.

Went to NAZA today (TTDI) and saw the 2.4V Camry (recon). 2006 model, about 30K mileage and selling at RM171K. Front and back lights are different and better looking dashboard with a LCD screen. But despite all the gimmicks and more advance specs, paying this amount for a 2 years old Camry is not worth it.

End up in UMW Toyota dealer at TTDI. Since I'm already there, went in to ask if they have the 2008 pearl white model (2.0G) that I've been looking for. To my surprised, they have 2 units available. Immediately booked it .. :-)

FYI, UMW is offering 4K off for the 2008 models, thus, why pay more. Hope to get the new Camry in 4 weeks.

Happy Chinese New Year. Cheers all !!

Alex

SMaRT DECiSiON!!!

<SiMoN LiM>
Toyota Camry 2.4V ACV30

Joytoy

Posted 13 January 2009 - 11:06 PM

Joytoy

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,148 posts
QUOTE (dawshuenn @ Jan 13 2009, 10:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi ALL,

FYI, UMW is offering 4K off for the 2008 models, thus, why pay more. Hope to get the new Camry in 4 weeks.

Happy Chinese New Year. Cheers all !!

Alex

Why they need 4 weeks ???????????????

Should get the car out in 4 days !!!!

Didn't you take a look at the Mark X ?

Oh yes - I think good decision to skip the Naza Camry. RM171k for 2 year old var & 30k km? What about warranty ?? Those Naza b@stards & BN cronies just wanna suck money from us during this economic condition !

New ride for the new year! Hope to hear from you in the camry threads rolleyes.gif

khen

Posted 13 January 2009 - 11:29 PM

khen

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,637 posts
QUOTE (Joytoy @ Jan 13 2009, 11:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Didn't you take a look at the Mark X ?

Oh yes - I think good decision to skip the Naza Camry. RM171k for 2 year old var & 30k km? What about warranty ?? Those Naza b@stards & BN cronies just wanna suck money from us during this economic condition !

New ride for the new year! Hope to hear from you in the camry threads rolleyes.gif

yeah i saw this model too..probably an overseas model...size is the same as the local Camry..and i dun think the dashboard is nicer than the local Camry, it's more squarish looking. I got the pics in my HP..heheheh smile.gif

vijay80

Posted 14 January 2009 - 09:09 AM

vijay80

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 159 posts
went to Mazda showroom in jb (tmn sentosa).. hmm kindda like the Madza6 2.5..looks awesome n powerful... but worried on the resale value..
Vijay-Jb

alldisc

Posted 14 January 2009 - 09:17 AM

alldisc

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,705 posts
QUOTE (Joytoy @ Jan 13 2009, 11:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i second joytoy, the car may not be at the branch/dealer itself but maybe still at the stockyard of other dealers but it wont take them 4 weeks to get the car and register it.

otherwise, for new camrys 4 weeks waiting period is normal. toyota having a hard time to fulfil demands.

khen

Posted 14 January 2009 - 12:07 PM

khen

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,637 posts
i also tot of this before...but i bought it anyway even thu i know this model may get a facelift in 12mths time...
it still looks very nice in its category...Honda Accord 2.0. disappoint me......but i pray the facelift is not massive...else next time the 2nd hand car dealers will have advantage to cutdown the price if i ever sell it after >5years hehehehe...

i am not sure whehter the price of Camry will drop in this year or not...but what i experienced during 1997 times when my civic price increase nistead of drop...n that is when the HOnda come out with free service vouchers , extended 3yrs warranty to counter the recession...the car price for new cars did not really come down... just my 2sen tots..

dawshuenn

Posted 14 January 2009 - 05:56 PM

dawshuenn

Probation

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
QUOTE (khen @ Jan 14 2009, 01:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i also tot of this before...but i bought it anyway even thu i know this model may get a facelift in 12mths time...
it still looks very nice in its category...Honda Accord 2.0. disappoint me......but i pray the facelift is not massive...else next time the 2nd hand car dealers will have advantage to cutdown the price if i ever sell it after >5years hehehehe...

i am not sure whehter the price of Camry will drop in this year or not...but what i experienced during 1997 times when my civic price increase nistead of drop...n that is when the HOnda come out with free service vouchers , extended 3yrs warranty to counter the recession...the car price for new cars did not really come down... just my 2sen tots..

Hi again,

Vijay, I've actually test drove the Mazda 6 as well ... what an excellent car. Same goes to the Peugeot 407. But will be really tough to maintain cars like these. The parts will kill you and difficult to find. Not to mention the resell value of the car. One of my fren who bought the Mazda 6 in 2005, need to sell it off last year due to financial difficulties. After letting it go, he still owes the bank some large amt of money .... can u imagine the depreciation rate !!!

Not try to be negative here, but is just a fact to share. Besides all the minus points I mentioned, Mazda 6 is really a great car to drive, superb handling and damn powerful. Not to mention, damn sexy.

As for the Camry I booked, it is still in Toyota Thailand. Will arrived in 3 - 4 weeks. Well, is not an issue for me. I'm not in a hurry and not rushing to show off my new car during the CNY. Hahaha.

Cheers.
Alex
Alex

techie

Posted 14 January 2009 - 06:18 PM

techie

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,379 posts
The Mazda 6 is sports sedan, the 2.5 is powerful, responsive and handles well but its interior is rather small compared to Camry & Accord. It is also going to depreciate a lot more compared to the other 2. Congrats on your purchase smile.gif

Joytoy

Posted 14 January 2009 - 09:54 PM

Joytoy

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,148 posts
QUOTE (dawshuenn @ Jan 14 2009, 05:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi again,

As for the Camry I booked, it is still in Toyota Thailand. Will arrived in 3 - 4 weeks. Well, is not an issue for me. I'm not in a hurry and not rushing to show off my new car during the CNY. Hahaha.

Cheers.
Alex

Oh that's why it will take 4 weeks.

Maybe they will ship it together with some Thai girls tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif

simonlim

Posted 15 January 2009 - 12:15 AM

simonlim

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,578 posts
QUOTE (Joytoy @ Jan 14 2009, 10:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh that's why it will take 4 weeks.

Maybe they will ship it together with some Thai girls tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif

haha, thai girls come free together with the new car as part of the recession rebate??? laugh.gif tongue.gif
<SiMoN LiM>
Toyota Camry 2.4V ACV30