Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Coating Or No Coating?

• Please log in to reply

vx55

Posted 02 May 2014 - 10:32 AM

vx55

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 568 posts
QUOTE (ckl050877 @ May 1 2014, 01:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The car coating is just a polymer solution, no matter what they call for the coating. There is a maximum cost for the polymer solution. But there is no minimum cost because we can just add in solvent to dilute the original solution.

You pipped my curiosity when you mention that car coating is just a polymer solution.
I know there are polymer-based coatings, and also silica-based coatings. From my point of view, information gathering and tests, they are not the same, even though they might exhibit similar characteristics (which is determined by automotive usage).
I would like to hear more about your point smile.gif

jonlsl

Posted 02 May 2014 - 12:32 PM

jonlsl

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts
My 2 cents is layman terms is:

Polymer solution. Is like engine oil made from semi syn base stocks.

Silica and other fluorine based coatings. Is like engine oils made from Fully syn base stocks.

Its just an analogy not the truth as most LSP polymers and coatings are organic, inorganic or a combination of the two.

Lechuck

Posted 26 May 2014 - 02:15 PM

Lechuck

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 777 posts
WOW! I did a search for coatings (again!) and I happened to find back this old thread which I created a year back! In the end I did not get the new SUV but purchased a 2nd hand unit instead. The car is full of water marks and am still looking at coating options. But since it's a 2nd hand car (good condition though), wouldn't spending more on coating be wasted compared to coating a new car? Some outlets quote exorbitant prices for the coats, which I feel is more towards marketing gimmick (no need maintenance, etc etc) rather than anything. Anyone got any reviews on Permanon? It's not that costly yet I hear rave reviews about them.

clchong84

Posted 26 May 2014 - 02:31 PM

clchong84

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
QUOTE (vx55 @ May 2 2014, 10:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You pipped my curiosity when you mention that car coating is just a polymer solution.
I know there are polymer-based coatings, and also silica-based coatings. From my point of view, information gathering and tests, they are not the same, even though they might exhibit similar characteristics (which is determined by automotive usage).
I would like to hear more about your point smile.gif

hi i am detailing guy, i tested this on my own car, the difference between polymer-based and silica-based, polymer max 3 Months +, silica 18 ~24 months, polymer based easy to become black colour and silica based cannot. because last week i polish my car, the right side black become white and other side still same. you can see the photo i upload.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20140515_112937_02.jpg

jamespaul

Posted 26 May 2014 - 03:11 PM

jamespaul

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 180 posts
QUOTE (ckl050877 @ May 1 2014, 01:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Clear bra, for example Xpel is too expensive. I checked before, it costs RM5200 for C segment hatchback with full moonroof.

Coating can prevent oxidation which mean maintain the top coat clear glossiness. We usually get 5 years warranty for the coating. It definitely can not last for 5 yrs but hey, if the auto detailer willing to give you 5 years warranty, why not just send back to them every 6 monthly for top up the coating. At the same time, we can get rid of swirl marks.

The most expensive does not the best coating. It just depend how much the auto detailer wants to have the profit margin. However, it does not mean that we should go for the cheapest. The car coating is just a polymer solution, no matter what they call for the coating. There is a maximum cost for the polymer solution. But there is no minimum cost because we can just add in solvent to dilute the original solution.
We should choose the good service auto detailer but this is the most needed in Malaysia market.

how much is the 5 year warranty car paint coating? if i am not mistaken, Gzox costs around RM4500 (excluding 6 monthly top up).

if i am willing to spend north of RM4k (which i am not keen), i would go with clear bra.

plus, clear bra protects against stone chips

jonlsl

Posted 26 May 2014 - 03:58 PM

jonlsl

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts
QUOTE (clchong84 @ May 26 2014, 02:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
hi i am detailing guy, i tested this on my own car, the difference between polymer-based and silica-based, polymer max 3 Months +, silica 18 ~24 months, polymer based easy to become black colour and silica based cannot. because last week i polish my car, the right side black become white and other side still same. you can see the photo i upload.
add my facebook you will see more (john Look / Look Detailing - Professional Car Detailing Cental)

I am also doing the same test with DJSNIS. With my solid white 17yr old paint. Will see how it goes.

clchong84

Posted 26 May 2014 - 11:57 PM

clchong84

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
QUOTE (jamespaul @ May 26 2014, 03:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
how much is the 5 year warranty car paint coating? if i am not mistaken, Gzox costs around RM4500 (excluding 6 monthly top up).

if i am willing to spend north of RM4k (which i am not keen), i would go with clear bra.

plus, clear bra protects against stone chips

hi all my good friend, i am doing detailing, what can i share with you is RM4k i can get very good car paint and lacquer, this lacquer can last more that 5 years with regular wash only, not need to spend too much money. i done dodo juice supernatural infinity paint sealant (ceramic coating) RM 800 only.
for maintenance site you just want to polish use AIO product can liau, no need to clay bar no use i try it before.

jamespaul

Posted 27 May 2014 - 10:10 AM

jamespaul

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 180 posts
QUOTE (clchong84 @ May 26 2014, 11:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
hi all my good friend, i am doing detailing, what can i share with you is RM4k i can get very good car paint and lacquer, this lacquer can last more that 5 years with regular wash only, not need to spend too much money. i done dodo juice supernatural infinity paint sealant (ceramic coating) RM 800 only.
for maintenance site you just want to polish use AIO product can liau, no need to clay bar no use i try it before.

agreed that at RM4k, you can repaint your car already.

your RM800 dodo can last how long?

clchong84

Posted 27 May 2014 - 08:39 PM

clchong84

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
QUOTE (jamespaul @ May 27 2014, 10:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
agreed that at RM4k, you can repaint your car already.

your RM800 dodo can last how long?

1 shot can last 18 ~24 months. you also can top up with carnauba wax to extand the life time.

KrisMas

Posted 28 May 2014 - 10:00 AM

KrisMas

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,854 posts
QUOTE (clchong84 @ May 27 2014, 08:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
1 shot can last 18 ~24 months. you also can top up with carnauba wax to extand the life time.

.....not in Klang Valley weather..... smile_blackeye.gif