Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Diy - Headlamp Sanding And Polishing

• Please log in to reply

vr2turbo

Posted 18 July 2013 - 07:56 AM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 71,470 posts
QUOTE (jasondotcom @ Jul 17 2013, 10:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Glass lens are awesome. They can outlast the car even! Too bad most cars nowadays come with plastic lenses. I hate them!

Anyway, Good job vr2turbo! smile_thumbup.gif

Thanks brother... smile_thumbup.gif

I think because of some safety issues nowadays are plastic, but the thing is they don't produce plastic like they used too.
Like the tail lights, white part, they don't yellow or they just use cheaper materials.... smile_blackeye.gif

cute_boboi

Posted 18 July 2013 - 11:24 AM

cute_boboi

Heart Like a Wheel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,883 posts
QUOTE (vr2turbo @ Jul 16 2013, 06:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
First trial, not 100%. Could still see some fine line not visible by camera... smile_tongue.gif
New Cover? well, owner was very very happy with it.... smile_wink.gif
No problem brother. Next time we can DIT - Do It Together..... smile_thumbup.gif

Ya, I would like to learn from you how to use the different grade sandpaper and method to sand it up.

"When Columbus started out he didn`t know where he was going. When he got there he didn`t know where he was and when he got back he didn`t know where he had been." - Anonymous

vr2turbo

Posted 18 July 2013 - 11:45 AM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • 71,470 posts
QUOTE (cute_boboi @ Jul 18 2013, 11:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ya, I would like to learn from you how to use the different grade sandpaper and method to sand it up.

That one nothing much, only from the rough sandpaper then less rough until the smooth type.... smile_tongue.gif

vr2turbo

Posted 18 July 2013 - 12:27 PM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • 71,470 posts
Here is my second attempt. These headlamps still on the car, so have to tape them up with masking tape to sandpaper, to prevent sanding the painted area.

These lights were in slightly better condition, so I started with 800 grit sandpaper, to 1500, then 2000 and then polish.....
Before

After

Before

After

vr2turbo

Posted 18 July 2013 - 12:30 PM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • 71,470 posts
Before

After

Before

After

cute_boboi

Posted 18 July 2013 - 01:35 PM

cute_boboi

Heart Like a Wheel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,883 posts
QUOTE (vr2turbo @ Jul 18 2013, 11:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That one nothing much, only from the rough sandpaper then less rough until the smooth type.... smile_tongue.gif

I think method and skill / experience is also important. smile_thumbup.gif Not just wrap the sandpaper on a block and just gores & menang smile_tongue.gif

"When Columbus started out he didn`t know where he was going. When he got there he didn`t know where he was and when he got back he didn`t know where he had been." - Anonymous

vr2turbo

Posted 19 July 2013 - 07:36 AM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • 71,470 posts
QUOTE (cute_boboi @ Jul 18 2013, 01:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think method and skill / experience is also important. smile_thumbup.gif Not just wrap the sandpaper on a block and just gores & menang smile_tongue.gif

Flat surface then can use block, but for headlamps, it curves here and there so all finger power and elbow grease.... smile_tongue.gif

flowerhorn

Posted 20 July 2013 - 11:03 AM

flowerhorn

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 156 posts
Awsome results bro. Thanks for sharing. Bro Vr any idea if it would work with normal compound?

vr2turbo

Posted 20 July 2013 - 09:03 PM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • 71,470 posts
QUOTE (flowerhorn @ Jul 20 2013, 11:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Awsome results bro. Thanks for sharing. Bro Vr any idea if it would work with normal compound?

Should work the same. Only what level of compound....Just like on paint need lighter when finishing...

bhp

Posted 15 January 2014 - 03:29 PM

bhp

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
hey bro,do you use water all the way from 100 grit to 2000 grit?