Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Opinions Needed Pls~

• Please log in to reply

DarthDude

Posted 01 August 2013 - 11:27 PM

DarthDude

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,344 posts
And you say you have an income around RM1.5k a month?

Ok... so that rules out a lot of new bikes as well as those over 250cc capacity.

Look- it's not macho but take a good look at the Yamaha Majesty scooter. There's a healthy Majesty community right here on Autoworld (see pinned thread on this page) and the guys there are very very helpful indeed.

No, it's not a "proper" bike but it'll get you around Seremban easier than any car, in more comfort than any bike and carrying all the stuff you need (raincoat, rain pants, rain shoes, laptop and shoulderbag) AND it'll take you touring. Mine took me as far as Danok and could have taken me much further.

One of the guys in the Majesty gang (Rasfan) even uses his on regular commutes between Port Dickson or Melaka and KL.

Yours for RM5k-ish and returns 75+mpg. Save on the purchase price and running costs and use your money restoring it gradually and then enhancing its looks. You'll be amazed how good they look all clean.... but still not a macho man bike.

My sincerest advice, given your financial capability as a fresh grad, is just enjoy that for now. Once your pay starts barking at 5 figures then take a look at the ER6s or Versys from Kawasaki. I know, not what you wanted but still an excellent introduction to big biking. Being common as muck means they're easy to buy second hand, easy to maintain and easy to sell after a year or so when you've figured out what sort of riding you like to do and what sort of bike you appreciate the most.

Getting into biking isn't like getting into cars. Overcommitting on something right out the box is a great way to waste a lot of money and time, with an outside chance of seriously hurting yourself.

Good luck- hope this helps
1991 Mercedes 300E24 Sportline
1997 Range Rover 2.5DSE
2005 BMW R1100S Boxercup Replica
2008 Gilera Fuoco
2012 Triumph Tiger Explorer

carlsonrt

Posted 03 August 2013 - 09:33 AM

carlsonrt

Probation

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
Thanks alot dude~ biggrin.gif

Do u mind if I ask about 1 more bike? What do u think about Keeway Dorado 250? Is it practical enough like the yamaha? Or not even close to it?

DarthDude

Posted 03 August 2013 - 02:27 PM

DarthDude

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,344 posts
Keeway Dorado after my time, dude- I dunno anything about them.

I think that it's very new. I'd wait a few more years to see if the company takes root like the Sym guys did, or struggles to do so but hang in there like the Kymco guys did, or just die like the Aprilia guys, the Gilera guys, the Piaggio guys and the Moto Guzzi guys did, leaving owners with worthless warranties and nowhere to turn to for parts and service.

Maybe someone else can help you with what they're like to ride and live with..... but the fact remains that you're probably best off waiting a few years to see if the company takes root and the product takes off- or not.
1997 Range Rover 2.5DSE
2008 Gilera Fuoco

carlsonrt

Posted 03 August 2013 - 02:47 PM

carlsonrt

Probation

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
Wow, seems like all the Italian guys are struggle to survive here in Malaysia lolz. Infact, I think Keeway is joined with Benelli, so they might struggle as well~ At first I read about dorado's specs, mentioned it has 2 cylinders. And since its a chopper so I thought it could be very comfortable if traveling long distance~ But now like u said, a clear look n survey is needed if I really wanna consider this bike.

DarthDude

Posted 03 August 2013 - 02:54 PM

DarthDude

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,344 posts
Well... Italians have always been overshadowed by Ducati which managed to establish a big fan following and which was well positioned by Naza so not only were the other brands up against a BIG brand name, they were also up against a MAJOR player in the distribution game.

Not so easy la I guess.... plus some of them made some pretty silly mistakes.

So.... it might be a good idea to put this one on the back burner for now and take another look at it in 4 or 5 years time.
1997 Range Rover 2.5DSE
2008 Gilera Fuoco

carlsonrt

Posted 03 August 2013 - 07:06 PM

carlsonrt

Probation

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
Majorly I'm targeting the benelli tnt600 now, hope it doesn't end up with bad repo or result in the future 4-5 years haha~

DarthDude

Posted 03 August 2013 - 08:44 PM

DarthDude

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,344 posts
Maybe you can look here.

Just bear in mind that as with most owner groups, the reviews will be overly positive and enthusiastic.

Good luck man...... I dunno anything about those but I have a nasty feeling it's not the right bike for you either.
1997 Range Rover 2.5DSE
2008 Gilera Fuoco

MrDuke

Posted 13 August 2013 - 05:15 PM

MrDuke

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 176 posts
Hi carlsonrt,
I suggest you consider a Honda CBR250R. Light enough in town and can easily cruise faster than cars (>110km/h) on highway without the engine feeling too strained. Second hand 2011/2012 model selling at around Rm15k or less.

Benelli TNT600? I don't know, non Japanese, reliability question mark...

MrDuke

Posted 13 August 2013 - 05:18 PM

MrDuke

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 176 posts
QUOTE (carlsonrt @ Aug 3 2013, 02:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wow, seems like all the Italian guys are struggle to survive here in Malaysia lolz. Infact, I think Keeway is joined with Benelli, so they might struggle as well~ At first I read about dorado's specs, mentioned it has 2 cylinders. And since its a chopper so I thought it could be very comfortable if traveling long distance~ But now like u said, a clear look n survey is needed if I really wanna consider this bike.

Imho, you do 10x better if you choose a Virago 535 instead of this unknown Dorado.

DarthDude

Posted 14 August 2013 - 01:43 PM

DarthDude

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,344 posts
QUOTE (MrDuke @ Aug 13 2013, 05:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Imho, you do 10x better if you choose a Virago 535 instead of this unknown Dorado.

Actually- I have to agree with this. Just put another 5- 7k aside for repairs and stuff since you're buying second hand.
1997 Range Rover 2.5DSE
2008 Gilera Fuoco