Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Reduce Harshness

• Please log in to reply

MASsenger

Posted 31 October 2012 - 09:03 PM

MASsenger

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,393 posts
Got myself the Peugeot 408T. Very pleased with the cars performance and handling. However due to it's sports tuned suspension,the ride is harsh. What can be done to reduce harshness. I don't mind compromising handling abit to improve comfort. The car gets quite bouncy above 150kmh,unless the road is smooth!

The REALdeal

siv75

Posted 01 November 2012 - 02:36 PM

siv75

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 375 posts
Congrats on the sweet new sweet ride. You sure you don't want to slowly ease her into those high speeds? smile.gif

Why do you have to sacrifice handling? I'm using Koni FSD - added handling and comfort together. It's less bouncy at high speed and gets hard during corners - adaptive handling. It is softer over bumps so the ride is more comfy, and during bounces, it doesn't bounce more than once (no boing boing feeling).

Cheers.

simoniz

Posted 01 November 2012 - 03:27 PM

simoniz

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 255 posts
QUOTE (siv75 @ Nov 1 2012, 02:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Congrats on the sweet new sweet ride. You sure you don't want to slowly ease her into those high speeds? smile.gif

Why do you have to sacrifice handling? I'm using Koni FSD - added handling and comfort together. It's less bouncy at high speed and gets hard during corners - adaptive handling. It is softer over bumps so the ride is more comfy, and during bounces, it doesn't bounce more than once (no boing boing feeling).

Cheers.

Siv75, the Koni FSD so good ah... it is exactly what I want to look for.. is it a coil over? adjustable?

raydenstan

Posted 01 November 2012 - 05:17 PM

raydenstan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
QUOTE (MASsenger @ Oct 31 2012, 09:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Got myself the Peugeot 408T. Very pleased with the cars performance and handling. However due to it's sports tuned suspension,the ride is harsh. What can be done to reduce harshness. I don't mind compromising handling abit to improve comfort. The car gets quite bouncy above 150kmh,unless the road is smooth!

That is because the energy has been transferred from your suspension to the chassis and makes the entire car feel bouncy.
The stronger the chassis (means less flexing/twisting) will to put all the energy on the suspension itself without too much of it transferred to the ride. Making the suspension doing their work as they should be functioning.
I am using aftermarket adjustables too but perhaps not as harsh as yours. How much is the suspension rating do you have any idea?

siv75

Posted 02 November 2012 - 08:33 AM

siv75

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 375 posts
QUOTE (simoniz @ Nov 1 2012, 03:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Siv75, the Koni FSD so good ah... it is exactly what I want to look for.. is it a coil over? adjustable?

Yes its quite good and a mile away better than my stock Honda absorbers. It is not a coil over - am still on stock springs but I can use larger tyres/rim combo on this without chaffing the fenders compared to stock. With larger shoes, the car looks lowered, but it really isn't.

It is also not adjustable because it uses adaptive damping - meaning it switches on the fly based on road situation. That's how you get best of both worlds. Something close to what you get with sporty german cars.

Mind you it is also not serviceable - but mine lasted about 3 years ... 120K before I needed to change. It could have gone more, but my butt too sensitive.

MASsenger

Posted 02 November 2012 - 10:26 AM

MASsenger

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,393 posts
QUOTE (siv75 @ Nov 1 2012, 02:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Cheers.

She indeed is a sweet ride. Took it up to 200kmh, but felt like ride a horse la. Unless the road surface is smooth, gets very bouncy above 150kmh,someplaces had to bring down to even 130kmh!

Tks for the advice on Konis bro. Will check it out!

The REALdeal

MASsenger

Posted 02 November 2012 - 10:37 AM

MASsenger

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,393 posts
QUOTE (raydenstan @ Nov 1 2012, 05:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That is because the energy has been transferred from your suspension to the chassis and makes the entire car feel bouncy.
The stronger the chassis (means less flexing/twisting) will to put all the energy on the suspension itself without too much of it transferred to the ride. Making the suspension doing their work as they should be functioning.
I am using aftermarket adjustables too but perhaps not as harsh as yours. How much is the suspension rating do you have any idea?

Yes, due to the stiff suspension setup the energy is being transferred to chassis. Whilst the handling is superb,everyday drive is rather uncomfortable. I have no idea of the suspension rating,where would I get this info? Koni has been suggested,what do you sugget

The REALdeal

vr2turbo

Posted 02 November 2012 - 12:00 PM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 71,469 posts
QUOTE (MASsenger @ Oct 31 2012, 09:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

New ride? then they are on the Conti CSC3, right? Many have complaint about the harsh ride of these Conti, but too early to change.... smile_blackeye.gif

raydenstan

Posted 02 November 2012 - 12:50 PM

raydenstan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
QUOTE (MASsenger @ Nov 2 2012, 10:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes, due to the stiff suspension setup the energy is being transferred to chassis. Whilst the handling is superb,everyday drive is rather uncomfortable. I have no idea of the suspension rating,where would I get this info? Koni has been suggested,what do you sugget

For peugeot I am not familiar which brands are available, however perhaps you can search for Tein, Eibach, and of course Koni. I don't think your model has any electronic damping on the suspension set so should be able to plug and play to replace.
For the rating perhaps either you can seek for it from the net or from Peugeot themselves.

MASsenger

Posted 03 November 2012 - 10:49 AM

MASsenger

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,393 posts
QUOTE (raydenstan @ Nov 2 2012, 12:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
For peugeot I am not familiar which brands are available, however perhaps you can search for Tein, Eibach, and of course Koni. I don't think your model has any electronic damping on the suspension set so should be able to plug and play to replace.
For the rating perhaps either you can seek for it from the net or from Peugeot themselves.

Tks for the info bro. My concern is more on the harsh ride than the bouncy high speed drive. Since AES is being installed on all highways, got to keep speed to 110kmh.At this speed there is no bounce at all. As for the harsh ride, any rough road or pot hole is felt quite distinctly. This what i would like to reduce. I'm planning to change shocks with springs. I feel the springs have a role in this too.

The REALdeal