Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Polo Sedan

• Please log in to reply

crocky

Posted 20 April 2012 - 11:08 PM

crocky

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts
This sedan should use polo 1.2tsi while the hatchback With NA engine

kenso

Posted 20 April 2012 - 11:38 PM

kenso

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,592 posts
Have done the spec comparison against other B segment sedans:

http://kensomuse.blo...affordable.html

Does look rather overpriced for the specs they provide.

Supremo

Posted 21 April 2012 - 02:07 AM

Supremo

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 333 posts
People buy VW Bcoz of TSI & DSG technology not because of the so called premium boot sedan engineering. If i want to buy a car with boot, there are plenty of choices like Elantra, Altis or Forte... I wonder how VW salesman to convince buyers for this car... Good luck VW...

fandango

Posted 21 April 2012 - 07:41 PM

fandango

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 548 posts
sometimes pricing a CBU model in M'sia to complete with established CKD models in Msia aint as straight forward as it looks. the established CKD flers will kick up a big fuss to the govt if VGM tries to price their CBU Indian Polo in the same bracket as the volume sellers from H and T. in a way its justified because although CKD is just a low-value-added operations, it still provides a significant employment volume to the country, and coupled with the localization of certain parts (eg tires, wipers, carpets etc etc), its hard for a CBU model to just barge in and price itself on the same level, especially when there is more perceived value.

The only company that can get away with this is of course, N....but that's a different story altogether I guess.

Kevin

Posted 21 April 2012 - 08:32 PM

Kevin

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,080 posts
QUOTE (jolokia @ Apr 20 2012, 06:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Better than Elantra & Forte as well ? smile_approve.gif

Wow you determine car quality by opening & closing doors ? such a genius smile_thumbup.gif

Get a Volvo 244 GL sure the door too sound solid too. smile_big.gif

Actually, you can tell a lot about the inherent quality of a car just by closing the doors. Of course, you can tell more by looking at the doors themselves.

I note that the Polo Sedan's doors come in a single piece with no weld joints. Also, the roof has no weld joints smile_thumbup.gif

A German car will always be a German car.

khlee23

Posted 21 April 2012 - 11:45 PM

khlee23

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,714 posts
QUOTE (Kevin @ Apr 21 2012, 08:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Actually, you can tell a lot about the inherent quality of a car just by closing the doors. Of course, you can tell more by looking at the doors themselves.

I note that the Polo Sedan's doors come in a single piece with no weld joints. Also, the roof has no weld joints smile_thumbup.gif

A German car will always be a German car.

For me quality of VW cars is not the key point here. It is the pricing, given the fact that the CKD kits are from India and then assembled in Pekan here. The cost of this car should be quite low. And also the fact that conti cars has difficult time in capturing and changing mind set of Malaysian buyers, i.e. more towards Japs car.

So with this price point it will be an uphill task to penetrate into this market that is filled with options which much better specs.

Anyway, I wish VWM all the best! I could be wrong. This is just my personal view.

Life is short. Seize the day!

Kevin

Posted 22 April 2012 - 12:19 AM

Kevin

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,080 posts
QUOTE (khlee23 @ Apr 21 2012, 11:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
For me quality of VW cars is not the key point here. It is the pricing, given the fact that the CKD kits are from India and then assembled in Pekan here. The cost of this car should be quite low. And also the fact that conti cars has difficult time in capturing and changing mind set of Malaysian buyers, i.e. more towards Japs car.

So with this price point it will be an uphill task to penetrate into this market that is filled with options which much better specs.

Anyway, I wish VWM all the best! I could be wrong. This is just my personal view.

To me, there are 2 ways of looking at the Polo Sedan. From a typical Vios/City buyer or from the eyes of a Forte/Fiesta buyer.

A higher-spec Vios is around mid-RM80k to low-RM90k. Logically speaking, the premium the Polo Sedan is asking over a Vios is justified.

Of course, if you are one who would have considered a Forte or Fiesta, then the Polo Sedan is overpriced.

Are the current units CKD units or CBUs from India? I suspect they are CBUs from India because even the tyres are "Made in India". Unless only the units in the showrooms are specially brought in from India. If the first couple of batches are India CBU, then I am expecting a RM89,888 price when the car comes out of Pekan.

Judging from the crowds I saw at the showroom today, there is a lot of interest in the Polo Sedan and most of the viewers seem pleased that they can purchase a VW at under RM100k. Personally, I won't buy it but I know several people who might!

TheGunner

Posted 22 April 2012 - 12:43 AM

TheGunner

Knight Rider

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,953 posts
Our thoughts on the Polo Sedan, by Editor YS Khong: Volkswagen Polo Sedan - First Drive
The Gunner

Proud to be a Gunner

br1

Posted 22 April 2012 - 12:47 AM

br1

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,825 posts
QUOTE (Kevin @ Apr 22 2012, 12:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
To me, there are 2 ways of looking at the Polo Sedan. From a typical Vios/City buyer or from the eyes of a Forte/Fiesta buyer.

A higher-spec Vios is around mid-RM80k to low-RM90k. Logically speaking, the premium the Polo Sedan is asking over a Vios is justified.

Of course, if you are one who would have considered a Forte or Fiesta, then the Polo Sedan is overpriced.

Are the current units CKD units or CBUs from India? I suspect they are CBUs from India because even the tyres are "Made in India". Unless only the units in the showrooms are specially brought in from India. If the first couple of batches are India CBU, then I am expecting a RM89,888 price when the car comes out of Pekan.

Judging from the crowds I saw at the showroom today, there is a lot of interest in the Polo Sedan and most of the viewers seem pleased that they can purchase a VW at under RM100k. Personally, I won't buy it but I know several people who might!

Maybe for the 4 cars that kevin had mentioned above - are the same specs but look like the polo sedan alittle higher in price.
But to a real vw epxectation is min a polo hatch with the tsi, very much difference at a little higher price.
anyway, no comment and it all up to the buyer's individual choice

kenso

Posted 22 April 2012 - 07:17 AM

kenso

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,592 posts
QUOTE (Kevin @ Apr 22 2012, 12:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

However you choose to see it, the fact remains that:-

1) it's price very close to a TSi powered vehicle, the hallmark of VW today
2) it has an archaic engine that can no longer be sold (cheaply) in Europe due it being only Euro 2 compliant and it's not exactly a fast sprinter being the only VW model that's not a sub-10 second century sprint car
3) aside from having 2 additional airbags over the competition (except Fiesta) and 4 one-touch power windows, there is no features worth mentioning

The only positives is it's badge and (most likely since I have not tested it yet) its handling.

For that, I find it hard to justify the RM100k price tag