Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Saga 1.3 Flx Review !

• Please log in to reply

dabdab

Posted 05 October 2011 - 10:41 PM

dabdab

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 470 posts
QUOTE (Nabworld @ Oct 3 2011, 12:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
hi
since there arent many reviews on the FLX online , i decided to write up one !

i got my car exactly one week ago...white FLX Excutive With dual airbags and abs

ready stock...took abt 10days to get the car (WVUXXXX)

the very first impression is u dont actually feel thrs a tiny 1.3 litre inside....the great thing abt the cvt is that its always in the torque band so u almost never have to rev it to get going...normal city driving will get ur rpm up to 2500 rpm...and its got more than enough power for highways....

so ive clocked 250km...and i havent ventured more than 90km /hr since its stil 'bedding in'....

the cvt itself is very very smooth...u never actually feel the gears or the gearbox even....n bcos u dont have to rev it to get going....the engine remains quite....having said that....if u do rev the engine...it actually sounds abit like a diesel engine!

abit of a clatter....

regarding the cvt....thrs a very low whining coming from the gearbox...which is COMMON IN ALL CVT's....from inspira to sylphy...i guess its the way it operates

one final note regarding the cvt , in trafic situations ,or in constant 10km/h drive n stop...its very hard to drive it smoothly , its sort of jumps once u feather the throttle...so from outside ppl think ur a novice drivning a manual car stil learning how to clutch !
its not exactly iritating(yet) , bt its sting u need to be aware of as it can be dangerous...

engine wise its actually not bad at all , it has a low inertia n revs very cleanly , throtle response is very good , its abit noisy bt i blame the total lack of any sound proof material on the firewall in the engine bay...
put it this way , u never feel u need more power....everything the engine/cvt combo has is more than enough in 95% everyday situation

interior wise it surprisingly very spacious,,,from the outside the car is pretty narrow , bt it has alot of leg and head room(im 184cm)...
dashboard is clean..nothing complicated...the meter now is white color(as of persona elegance) rather than the standard amber...

aircond is too powerful even on 1st level...the blower is very strong despite the tiny aircond vent...

overall interior quality is good....no nasty sharp edges....no rattles and funny sounds(so far)
u do need abt careful as plasticks have that easy scratch surface...

regarding ride and handling....
the ride is not as soft as u wd think...u wd think that a city car wil have a softer ride since our kl/pj roads are getting so horrible day after day....

i wont call it stiff....bt not soft either, bt the great think is that it has a really good damping...bumps and road imprefections dont disturb the cabin at all....bt u do feel the suspension working overtime to dampen everything...
and bcos of that , u also feel the whole body feels more than rigid enough to cope with the bad horrible terrible miserable inner city roads !

handling wise , frankly i havent explored much of it yet , from what ive felt , the steering is quite direct , bt no feel ,
it does lean abit on corners bt u feel it has alot of grip from those 14' tyres....

boot size is big and deep , bts the opening is quite small....
rear legroom is redicuously HUGE...really good packageing interms of the interior

regarding braking , nothing special....responsive in initial press , bt u want more u have to press quite a long way...the pedal itself has alot of travel....but the braking itself is ok...

headlights are really HUGE , its very bright....and has an unusual wide angle...really good

the front end lokos quite nice and grand...bt the rear not so much...real lights are tiny..makes the whole rear looks awekward...

i got free service for 1000km/5000km/10000km/20,000km......3 years warenty with FREE eco tint

cvt oil replace every 40k.....

so all in all....i was actually very sceptic abt cvts before...i wanted to get the saga FL 1.6....bt i noticed most cars going to get cvts for their future updates so i didnt want to miss out...and frankly speaking , the cvt in this 1.3 is abt 60% why i wanted to get this as my 2nd car....its worth every sen....very efficient....ofcourse im hoping reliabilty wise it wd be as good...

and being resonable , i did not highlight those small tiny niggles like ALOT OF PEAPLE do , bcos for jus rm44,500 , im getting so much car for the money .........

last bt not least , im very itchy to upgrade to 15' rims bt worried i mite ruin the nice damped ride i have with the original 14' rims!
i do have alot on my mind to change or upgrade , sound proof , beter brake pads,k&n filter and so on...bt its stil new....let it live first !

hope this review enlightens u abit....cheers!

15 inch, go for it, and go for 195 50, if u like corners. this will add more to your confidence.

powertrain

Posted 06 October 2011 - 07:27 PM

powertrain

2nd Gear

• Members
  • 2 posts
im new user. I start drive my new saga flx1.3exec 1week ago. rev rpm not more than 2k and below 90km/h. the little sound tiktaktiktak like that from engine.. what the prob? its normal engine system? I hope no prob at all.. Btw I love this car.. Smooth... Thanks Proton..

Nabworld

Posted 06 October 2011 - 10:14 PM

Nabworld

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,399 posts
that sound is normal....
its the IAFM module that makes that tiktik sound...aparently it wil smoothen out after ur 1k service
welcome to the FLX club btw !

powertrain

Posted 07 October 2011 - 03:12 PM

powertrain

2nd Gear

• Members
  • 2 posts
QUOTE (Nabworld @ Oct 6 2011, 10:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
that sound is normal....
its the IAFM module that makes that tiktik sound...aparently it wil smoothen out after ur 1k service
welcome to the FLX club btw !

Thanks.. smile_thumbup.gif

Gunnerzz

Posted 10 October 2011 - 07:21 PM

Gunnerzz

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,102 posts
QUOTE (powertrain @ Oct 7 2011, 03:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks.. smile_thumbup.gif

How fast can the CVT go?

Is it handling any better than my "older brother" BLM at 160kmh?

I reach 180kmh b4 being tapau by a manual BLM.
seems like the manual can go 200kmh?
sound impossible but that is what it looks like when the manual BLM pulls away from me when i was going 180kmh.

ntc2000

Posted 10 October 2011 - 10:53 PM

ntc2000

Knight Rider

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,286 posts
QUOTE (Gunnerzz @ Oct 10 2011, 07:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How fast can the CVT go?

Is it handling any better than my "older brother" BLM at 160kmh?

I reach 180kmh b4 being tapau by a manual BLM.
seems like the manual can go 200kmh?
sound impossible but that is what it looks like when the manual BLM pulls away from me when i was going 180kmh.

i drive 150 alr floating woh...........

mosh

Posted 11 October 2011 - 07:56 AM

mosh

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,557 posts

saga flx acceleration vids.

saga flx engine bay looks
http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

dabdab

Posted 11 October 2011 - 09:59 PM

dabdab

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 470 posts
QUOTE (ntc2000 @ Oct 10 2011, 10:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i drive 150 alr floating woh...........

at 150 you have to go to next level,,,the sport suspension. lower reducing the height of center of gravity and stiffer than standard to reduce bounce effect that reduce grip and floating feel.

but for flx proton have sort this out at least from its previous blm or fl.

nyzam

Posted 18 October 2011 - 02:31 PM

nyzam

4th Gear

• Members
  • 4 posts
QUOTE (Nabworld @ Oct 3 2011, 12:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
hi
since there arent many reviews on the FLX online , i decided to write up one !

i got my car exactly one week ago...white FLX Excutive With dual airbags and abs

ready stock...took abt 10days to get the car (WVUXXXX)

the very first impression is u dont actually feel thrs a tiny 1.3 litre inside....the great thing abt the cvt is that its always in the torque band so u almost never have to rev it to get going...normal city driving will get ur rpm up to 2500 rpm...and its got more than enough power for highways....

so ive clocked 250km...and i havent ventured more than 90km /hr since its stil 'bedding in'....

the cvt itself is very very smooth...u never actually feel the gears or the gearbox even....n bcos u dont have to rev it to get going....the engine remains quite....having said that....if u do rev the engine...it actually sounds abit like a diesel engine!

abit of a clatter....

regarding the cvt....thrs a very low whining coming from the gearbox...which is COMMON IN ALL CVT's....from inspira to sylphy...i guess its the way it operates

one final note regarding the cvt , in trafic situations ,or in constant 10km/h drive n stop...its very hard to drive it smoothly , its sort of jumps once u feather the throttle...so from outside ppl think ur a novice drivning a manual car stil learning how to clutch !
its not exactly iritating(yet) , bt its sting u need to be aware of as it can be dangerous...

engine wise its actually not bad at all , it has a low inertia n revs very cleanly , throtle response is very good , its abit noisy bt i blame the total lack of any sound proof material on the firewall in the engine bay...
put it this way , u never feel u need more power....everything the engine/cvt combo has is more than enough in 95% everyday situation

interior wise it surprisingly very spacious,,,from the outside the car is pretty narrow , bt it has alot of leg and head room(im 184cm)...
dashboard is clean..nothing complicated...the meter now is white color(as of persona elegance) rather than the standard amber...

aircond is too powerful even on 1st level...the blower is very strong despite the tiny aircond vent...

overall interior quality is good....no nasty sharp edges....no rattles and funny sounds(so far)
u do need abt careful as plasticks have that easy scratch surface...

regarding ride and handling....
the ride is not as soft as u wd think...u wd think that a city car wil have a softer ride since our kl/pj roads are getting so horrible day after day....

i wont call it stiff....bt not soft either, bt the great think is that it has a really good damping...bumps and road imprefections dont disturb the cabin at all....bt u do feel the suspension working overtime to dampen everything...
and bcos of that , u also feel the whole body feels more than rigid enough to cope with the bad horrible terrible miserable inner city roads !

handling wise , frankly i havent explored much of it yet , from what ive felt , the steering is quite direct , bt no feel ,
it does lean abit on corners bt u feel it has alot of grip from those 14' tyres....

boot size is big and deep , bts the opening is quite small....
rear legroom is redicuously HUGE...really good packageing interms of the interior

regarding braking , nothing special....responsive in initial press , bt u want more u have to press quite a long way...the pedal itself has alot of travel....but the braking itself is ok...

headlights are really HUGE , its very bright....and has an unusual wide angle...really good

the front end lokos quite nice and grand...bt the rear not so much...real lights are tiny..makes the whole rear looks awekward...

i got free service for 1000km/5000km/10000km/20,000km......3 years warenty with FREE eco tint

cvt oil replace every 40k.....

so all in all....i was actually very sceptic abt cvts before...i wanted to get the saga FL 1.6....bt i noticed most cars going to get cvts for their future updates so i didnt want to miss out...and frankly speaking , the cvt in this 1.3 is abt 60% why i wanted to get this as my 2nd car....its worth every sen....very efficient....ofcourse im hoping reliabilty wise it wd be as good...

and being resonable , i did not highlight those small tiny niggles like ALOT OF PEAPLE do , bcos for jus rm44,500 , im getting so much car for the money .........

last bt not least , im very itchy to upgrade to 15' rims bt worried i mite ruin the nice damped ride i have with the original 14' rims!
i do have alot on my mind to change or upgrade , sound proof , beter brake pads,k&n filter and so on...bt its stil new....let it live first !

hope this review enlightens u abit....cheers!

dont worry to speed up the car... if you come and visit where your car is being born.. they tested the car at a rolling track at 100kmh... and when my first day I got my car... meter clocks 150kmh.. that was 5 years ago...

jflcorp

Posted 20 October 2011 - 08:25 AM

jflcorp

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 194 posts
QUOTE (hcgui @ Oct 3 2011, 02:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Great review there bro!!

I'm driving a 1st gen BLM with 4AT, March 2008. Performance wise, had abit of work done to suit my taste. not into power mod but driveability in town. ACG, LCP, Ir Plugs, VS+GC, and even switching to Mistu ATF help improve general driving tremendously. moving in slow traffic is just so much easier n smoother with ample more confidence!

For R&H, i've taken out spare tyre n replace with a tyre repair kit and even experimenting different tyre pressure tat suits me. Adding spring buffers, 3 UR bars and chassis foam also improves R&H as well as reducing NVH tremendously!! it corners so much flatter while improving ride at d same time! i'm tempted to move to 15' at 1st but now am quite happy on stock 14' esp on our not-so-perfect roads. some DIY soundproofing and ICE upgrade tops it up for me. haha.

enjoy ur ride bro!

Hi Bro Hcgui, i am awaiting my car soon. It's a FLX Manual, anyways, I also planned on the AMT Spring buffers as it is a very affordable add on to the stock springs. Btw which set up of UR bars did you go for? Did it really change the drive before and after? Because I planning to spruce it up immediately after taking the car out. I am looking at front strut tower bar, rear tower and strut bar 3 points and rear anti roll bar. How much is your set up? Chassis foam, i am not to bought into this idea though... Hmmm?