Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Opti-coat 2.0

• Please log in to reply

jonlsl

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:03 PM

jonlsl

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts
QUOTE (arch5069 @ Jan 9 2013, 01:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[quote name='jonlsl' date='Jan

1 week later just apply your fav, carnauba wax over the OC2.0 whenever you feel like it or spray wax to fortify the loss in beading.

I thought I read somewhere that nothing will stay on opticoat?

True to a certain degree. It will still stick there but not as well as it usually would. But this is what you want as the shampoo will remove some of the wax and thus along with it water spot minerals which will not have a chance to etch in to the OC2.0 or the clear.

arch5069

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:39 AM

arch5069

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 176 posts
QUOTE (jonlsl @ Jan 9 2013, 03:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
True to a certain degree. It will still stick there but not as well as it usually would. But this is what you want as the shampoo will remove some of the wax and thus along with it water spot minerals which will not have a chance to etch in to the OC2.0 or the clear.

Thanks. Its good that to know that we can apply a sacrificial layer. And as I've read OC is not that slick so with a wax layer should make insects slide again.

Can a sealant be applied instead of wax? I'm thinking of like Trackclaw.

eohl79

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:15 AM

eohl79

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,148 posts
QUOTE (arch5069 @ Jan 10 2013, 10:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks. Its good that to know that we can apply a sacrificial layer. And as I've read OC is not that slick so with a wax layer should make insects slide again.

You can apply sealant/wax but you have to do it more often than without OC. This is because sealant/wax do not bond well to OC vs bare paint. I've tried Opti seal/Opti car wax before and it lasts ~1 week before the slickness is gone after a car wash.

jonlsl

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:01 PM

jonlsl

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts
QUOTE (arch5069 @ Jan 10 2013, 10:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

OC is not slick but insects will be very easy to remove even without a topper. JUst regular car shampoo will do no longer need to use strong cleaner and bug removers. Read my post here and pics. Have you read the OC2.0 post if not you should read it from page 1.

g88

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:14 PM

g88

Duke of Hazzard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 48,280 posts
i have question. Does/CAN OC be top up ? Mean after applied and cure (say 24 hrs), then weekly, monthly wash.....after certain time the coating will become thinner right ? So can continue 'top-up' or even use conventional wax/sealant as topper ??

eohl79

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:39 PM

eohl79

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,148 posts
QUOTE (g88 @ Jan 19 2013, 11:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i have question. Does/CAN OC be top up ? Mean after applied and cure (say 24 hrs), then weekly, monthly wash.....after certain time the coating will become thinner right ? So can continue 'top-up' or even use conventional wax/sealant as topper ??

No the coating won't become thinner from my experience. You will get some scratches and swirls along the way. Water beading also drops a little over time. To remove cured coating, I've used and LC orange pad with Sonax perfect finish polish over a couple of passes to remove it. Not so easy... If within a few days before the coating has fully cross linked even a fine polish and LC black pad can remove it. You can top up whatever product to give looks or make water beading better whenever you like. The base OC2 is stronger than all your typical wax sealants. Your typical degreaser or tar remover won't even thin it or remove it.

g88

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:15 PM

g88

Duke of Hazzard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 48,280 posts
QUOTE (eohl79 @ Jan 20 2013, 01:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No the coating won't become thinner from my experience. You will get some scratches and swirls along the way. Water beading also drops a little over time. To remove cured coating, I've used and LC orange pad with Sonax perfect finish polish over a couple of passes to remove it. Not so easy... If within a few days before the coating has fully cross linked even a fine polish and LC black pad can remove it. You can top up whatever product to give looks or make water beading better whenever you like. The base OC2 is stronger than all your typical wax sealants. Your typical degreaser or tar remover won't even thin it or remove it.

Can it be layer..mean after apply after 12-24 hrs cure, another layer be apply to archive maximum protection ?

jonlsl

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:00 PM

jonlsl

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts
QUOTE (g88 @ Jan 20 2013, 04:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Can it be layer..mean after apply after 12-24 hrs cure, another layer be apply to archive maximum protection ?

Optimum originally said cannot layer, now they say can layer if you polish the surface to roughen it up abit. I never tried. Because its so hard to see if you have covered the surface, after curing for 1-2days, I give the car a quick shower and see how the beading is throughout the whole car, those places which don't bead as well I mark the spots and redo it.

g88

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:35 PM

g88

Duke of Hazzard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 48,280 posts
QUOTE (jonlsl @ Jan 20 2013, 07:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Optimum originally said cannot layer, now they say can layer if you polish the surface to roughen it up abit. I never tried. Because its so hard to see if you have covered the surface, after curing for 1-2days, I give the car a quick shower and see how the beading is throughout the whole car, those places which don't bead as well I mark the spots and redo it.

gotcha sifu !! Thanks for all the pointers ! I am think after every wash will top up with spray wax or detailer...wanna have the maximum protection , water beading and slickness....

hizami83

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:24 PM

hizami83

2nd Gear

• Members
  • 2 posts
Hi Sifu,

Newbies here. Would like to try out coating as keep hearing about them & coincidently getting my new car soon. From what I have been reading & what I can sump up is that Opti coat/guard are:
  1. Permanent & durable
  2. Some what neutral gloss (would not make the car finish look more depth or shine, all depend on the prep work done before application.)
  3. Better for light color car.
  4. Prone on getting waterspot especially on darker color cars.

The shop I went to is able to do Opti coat for me but he is recommending me another coating which is Gtechniq Exo. He said its the best coating he has tried out so far & asking me to try out. I don't buy what he is trying to say & just shut him off. He simply ask me to do some research online & come back to decide. Well I did.. I found out its a newly introduce product just mere one year ago by Gtechniq. A company that has C1. This Exo is claimed to be much more superior than C1 & extreme hydrophobic!
Since I could not find much info on it locally, I have to resort to read external reviews & forums. I found most of them really are praising it. The only common concern is that it's being new to the market hence it's durability in time is unknown.
How about you guys? Have you guys heard about it? My car will be coming soon & it's in darker red shade. Am now thinking of trying it out.