Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

All New - 2012 Camry

• Please log in to reply

RonKSLim

Posted 12 May 2011 - 11:47 AM

RonKSLim

Advanced

• Members
  • Pip
  • 95 posts
QUOTE (scenic @ May 12 2011, 11:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Even the Caucasians are concerned about reliability and cost of maintenance though car prices are relatively lower than us. 90% of the market force will go for these two aspects as well as resale value which is a real fact that one can't run away when's time to sell away. Who cares about top speed or how fast your car go from the moment the light changes to green in our daily life ? Just reading through some of the threads here makes one wonders how these people think in their heads challenging each other to a race, blah, blah how many tiang handicap, who reaching the top first ? Anything above 130km/h, you can drive any made of cars, you still die in there. At that speed, forget about Conti or otherwise, it does not matter anymore. sterb292.gif

Yep, reliability and cost of maintenance are big considerations... That is why Toyota does so well... The latest technology may not be the best route to take as cutting edge tech may also mean cutting edge problems... So Toyota's way is the right way to go... For Nissan I think they test out their latest technology in their niche cars (like the GTR and Fairlady) where they can take more time and care to build before flowing them down to the more ordinary mass cars... Or test them out in the Infinity and Lexus (for Toyota) range of cars first... Heard Infinity is coming to Malaysia... Great driving cars there with RWD but with engine sizes of 3.7 liters? Tough for this market... Will be very niche and in this connection, I don't think Infinity has the same brand affinity as Lexus! So I think it will be tough for the first few years...

swinee

Posted 12 May 2011 - 11:48 AM

swinee

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,042 posts
QUOTE (luvcar @ May 11 2011, 09:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Don't you think Toyota is so lucky to have people saying this

Knowing that Toyota is not giving u the latest tech, still wanna support them... How lucky Toyota is... But never know how to appreciate the customers, leaving the hardcores just continue to blind themselves from reality... smile.gif

Again, Toyota should be so happy to have supporters like this cause knowing the world car market is progressing so much, yet they are so slow in adapting to the asean market. Do you really think they are slow? I don't think so. Taking advantage of these hardcore supporters is their strategy. They have good tech cars but not for you guys in malaysia. So, u continue to wait la. Japanese company's business tradition is that they will never make a move unless they are in critical situation. Malaysia is a small market to them + so many hardcore supporters + weak competitors' strategies in malaysia (especially Japs and Contis), why should they give you good tech cars? just a waste of money for them. that's their strategy...Simple...

yeah, i do agree that the Japanese culture is kinda of "kamsiap" they dun offer much to the client until rivals really threatening their sales..tats y i could agree wit u that for Asean, ppl mainly buy Toyota is just for their brand name sake compare to EU buyers where they are more conscious for what they are purchasing..

swinee

Posted 12 May 2011 - 11:55 AM

swinee

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,042 posts
QUOTE (Tourist @ May 12 2011, 12:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think one should compare what is available RIGHT NOW. Don't compare what is available from Manufacturer A and what is going to available from Manufacturer B in 1 years later. If want to compare like that, why not compare car from Manufacturer A that is coming in 2 years later or 3 years later? How to compare?

hmm..i think it is bout right to compare the current gen wit the upcoming gen if they are the same segment..and u know that it is coming..
just like the upcoming K5/508 altot is not here, might forecasting reaching our shore by 2011, if interested buyer is serious bout a D-Seg car, it is worth the wait till the launching n decide.. smile_approve.gif

just like when F10 and W212 they are not reaching our shores the same time, but yet u would wait for them to see their prcing n spec as well den signed ur cheque book, dont u?

Tourist

Posted 12 May 2011 - 12:09 PM

Tourist

White Lightning

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,715 posts
QUOTE (swinee @ May 12 2011, 11:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
hmm..i think it is bout right to compare the current gen wit the upcoming gen if they are the same segment..and u know that it is coming..
just like the upcoming K5/508 altot is not here, might forecasting reaching our shore by 2011, if interested buyer is serious bout a D-Seg car, it is worth the wait till the launching n decide.. smile_approve.gif

just like when F10 and W212 they are not reaching our shores the same time, but yet u would wait for them to see their prcing n spec as well den signed ur cheque book, dont u?

I know Nissan have a replacement for their Teena to counter the 2012 Camry. Exactly when I don't know but I know it is coming for sure. Now how to do comparison like that?

I prefers to use my head than follow the crowd. After all, it is my money and not theirs.

scenic

Posted 12 May 2011 - 12:12 PM

scenic

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,156 posts
I must also admit that Toyota's suspension set up is very suitable for our road conditions albeit simpler in design. Therefore, gives a very comfortable ride which doesn't want comfort in cars that they travel. I had pushed my previous Altis really hard before. Yes, tyre screeching, body roll was very evident but the car didn't skid or give way. My take is that Toyota cars can still handle very well eventhough you get the feeling of handling like a sampan and body roll. We have to ask oursleves honestly then, how often we do mischief like this ? smile_blush.gif Cheers.
director's choice

scenic

Posted 12 May 2011 - 12:13 PM

scenic

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,156 posts
QUOTE (Tourist @ May 12 2011, 12:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I know Nissan have a replacement for their Teena to counter the 2012 Camry. Exactly when I don't know but I know it is coming for sure. Now how to do comparison like that?

I don't think the replacement will reach our shore anytime soon as overseas market just had their FL Teana launched recently. Our Teana just landed late last year only.
director's choice

neo79

Posted 12 May 2011 - 12:21 PM

neo79

N20 Soul

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,213 posts
TCM will not bring in anything one la, untill they know their range has already been exhausted... Very much like the Sentra. I dun think they will bring in the new Sentra/Sunny next year or 2013...

They are not like Toyota and Honda as they know fresh new models will keep people on a buying spree.

swinee

Posted 12 May 2011 - 12:38 PM

swinee

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,042 posts
QUOTE (neo79 @ May 12 2011, 07:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Dear Swinee,
In case you forgot, the Teana is a replacement for the Cefiro, and naturally a Cefiro only comes with a V6 engine or an inline 6 even for the A31 series, yes they do comes in inline 4 units as well, but thats the SR20DE unit and not the RB20DE and as things slowly progress, the A32 comes with the VQ20DE and the VQ30DE and so does the A33 with complete new revised VQ series engine, where as a Camry, is just a carry over job very much like previous models. So it is very much the 2.5V6 which would be the best seller for TCM, most Cefiro owners I know can't accept the MR20DE in the Teana smile_big.gif

And having driven the A33 and having a Camry 2.0E at home, I can say both are just the same pail.. Why? All of the basic gadgetry, features are almost the same. I don't seriously see any so called advance technology... But I do remember my A33 having Xenon smile_blush.gif And then the FL 2.4V came with Xenon smile_blush.gif And then front 2 powered seats, and Nissan own pariah Optitron meter smile_big.gif But of course, I am not being fair to compare a 3l and a 2l... smile_big.gif But the 2.4l... Ah... My 6 years old A33 powered seats works fine, but the ACV30 power seats failed after 6 months... Aiya!

With the ACV40, the difference is noticably greater as the Teana were introduced late into the market, but again, the difference is pretty much minimal from the ACV30 except for the Xenon, Optitron meters, which I believe is very much old tech by Toyota having been flown down the chute from Lexus. So, really its not really something shout about.

Nissan owns JATCO so naturally they would supply the transmission to Nissan... CVT has been all over the place, but Toyota is still giving out ECT 4AT... Wahlao... Really new tech le. Plus CVT provides you with seamless power delivery and the smoothness is even better than the smoothest and refined 4AT, another plus point, the CVT actually optimizes power delivery so you would gain to save from the fuel savings.

So at the end of the day, each brands have their strengths and weaknesses... And to quote luvcar's comments, I really agree with him. In my 50k Myvi, I get BT connection as standard, but with the 150k Camry, I still have to pay 4k for an optional head unit, of course you can argue that it comes with GPS, thrust booster, afterburners, yet still have to pay when other brands are offering them as standard in lower rung cars. So much for new technology.

yeah true, of cos i do know bout the VQ series, i still can rmbr the old time advertisement bout the jet plane using the VQ engine when they first introduce for the Cefiro smile_thumbup.gif

yup, the a33 cefiro is kinda a trademark for the nissan, just like any old timer XV10 camry reliable workhorse, too bad that nowadays, eveery manufacuring is cutting cost, u could hardly find sth which have the build quality and craftmenship like those car.. smile_blackeye.gif

yes, every brand have thier own pro n cons, but if to say that Toyota offering a lower tech for Asean country, I would say that the same thing for Nissan, for the enitre range model aside from the 2.5 Teana being the best in class, others like the new xtrail is a sore product being compared to the old Xtrail, it lose the 4WD capability, and powerplant term is also disaapointing again with the MR20DE.

the slyphy if compared to the curent altis/civic also is pale shadow, and with XCVT+MR20DE, yet still cant acheive a decent FC for its segment, not to mention a drum brake for a C-seg car when almost most B-seg now comes with all round disc, altot u could say that the stopping power n less maintenance is there..but yet still a signed of cost cutting.

the teana 2.0 luxury too, i dun think any previos cefiro owner would buy a teana w/o a V6, it seems that it losing it appeals by just offering a simplicity in luxury car w/o much gadgets to play around..

so Nissan by no means is better than Toyota by alot, in terms of technology and spec offered, aside from the 2.5 teana, where other range u could see that just plain dull especially on the safety features like ESP compared to the other makes smile_blush.gif

swinee

Posted 12 May 2011 - 12:41 PM

swinee

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,042 posts
QUOTE (Tourist @ May 12 2011, 12:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

of cos they are nvr ending stories..just set urself a dateline..tats it..
u cant buy a perfect 10 car smile_thumbup.gif

RonKSLim

Posted 12 May 2011 - 02:18 PM

RonKSLim

Advanced

• Members
  • Pip
  • 95 posts
QUOTE (swinee @ May 12 2011, 12:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
yeah true, of cos i do know bout the VQ series, i still can rmbr the old time advertisement bout the jet plane using the VQ engine when they first introduce for the Cefiro smile_thumbup.gif

yup, the a33 cefiro is kinda a trademark for the nissan, just like any old timer XV10 camry reliable workhorse, too bad that nowadays, eveery manufacuring is cutting cost, u could hardly find sth which have the build quality and craftmenship like those car.. smile_blackeye.gif

yes, every brand have thier own pro n cons, but if to say that Toyota offering a lower tech for Asean country, I would say that the same thing for Nissan, for the enitre range model aside from the 2.5 Teana being the best in class, others like the new xtrail is a sore product being compared to the old Xtrail, it lose the 4WD capability, and powerplant term is also disaapointing again with the MR20DE.

the slyphy if compared to the curent altis/civic also is pale shadow, and with XCVT+MR20DE, yet still cant acheive a decent FC for its segment, not to mention a drum brake for a C-seg car when almost most B-seg now comes with all round disc, altot u could say that the stopping power n less maintenance is there..but yet still a signed of cost cutting.

the teana 2.0 luxury too, i dun think any previos cefiro owner would buy a teana w/o a V6, it seems that it losing it appeals by just offering a simplicity in luxury car w/o much gadgets to play around..

so Nissan by no means is better than Toyota by alot, in terms of technology and spec offered, aside from the 2.5 teana, where other range u could see that just plain dull especially on the safety features like ESP compared to the other makes smile_blush.gif

Yes, nothing wrong with not putting in the latest technology whether Toyota or Nissan so long as it is reliable... I think the problem with the Teana 2.0 and X-trail 2.0 is that Nissan does not have a suitable 2.0 engine in its lineup... As for the X-trail 2.0 being under-specced, there's nothing much they can do in order to price it at RM150k... If they are serious about that product, they need to bite the bullet and CKD it and with that, they can probably up the specs but even then, they probably can't offer 4WD as the 2.0 litre engine they have is only good for 131 bhp (or slightly higher in the X-trail 2.0)... I was thinking of upgrading from Sylphy 2.0 to X-trail 2.0 when the latter was first launched but couldn't do it after test driving it and looking at the specs... So I waited for the Teana....