Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Improve Rexton Suspension

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

r3xt0n

Posted 11 April 2011 - 02:50 AM

r3xt0n

White Lightning

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,148 posts
QUOTE (br1 @ Apr 11 2011, 01:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Bro Re3ton,

tyre pressure at 29 to 30psi???? for your 2 tons monster SUV???
what tyre you use, I remember you use Michellin?

I am using Michelin Latitude Tour H/P 255/65/R16. Rexton Owner Manual do specify 29PSI.

My Cap is pumped at 36 psi front and 35psi rear, just nice and good grip except a little bumpy above 160km/hr, if less than 32psi the tyre side wall is too soft and high speed corner is not stable!!! Maybe my tyre road gripping compound and the side walls are soft if they are pumped at low psi. I use Japan's Toyo Proxies STII (max psi it can hold is 55psi, so it is still at the very lower end psi), I have not tried Michellin but our Cap members also last time pump 30- 32 psi is not good to use, unstable and not good at cornering and tyres makan on 2 front outer sides. They also pumped to 34-35-36psi to get good result.

What is your tyre size? If you are using the recommended tyre size to spec, you should follow its recommended pressure as well.

Do note that each petrol station PSI reading may not be 100% accurate. Some bros tested that there is a difference as much as 3 PSI between petrol station pump and actual pressure gauge check. I just pumped nitrogen at 30PSI (measured by 2 different type of pressure gauge by the tyre shop) but it is harder and bumpy than my usual 215kpa (31.2 PSI) at petrol station.

Just checked that those common a pressure gauge having accuracies of +/- 3 PSI, maybe should get a digital one that should be more accurate.

A better way is Flour Test as follows

i. Spread Flour of about 3mm thick on a flat floor in front of a tire covering the full width of the tire
ii. Slowly drive the tire straight through the flour
iii. Analyze the pattern. It will be easy to tell where the most pressure is.
iv. If there is more pressure in the center...decrease your tire pressure.
v. If there is more pressure on the outsides...increase your tire pressure.
vi. Repeat this procedure until you get even pressure across the full width of the tire.

Suggest give a try pumping to 33-34-35 to 36 psi on your Rex, and see what psi suit you best, No harm trying - air is free if not satisfactory just let off - hehehe - just my 2 cts!!!

P/S - for msia local, indo, phil & thai tyres it is advicesable to keep to the manuf's recommended psi or check on the side wall their max psi it can hold! Dont push to the extreme max limit.

I tried 230kpa (33.3 PSI) as recommended by the tyre shop but found it too bouncy. I think it is safer to follow the car manufacturer spec than the tyre shop because each vehicle weight and suspension system is different.

br1

Posted 11 April 2011 - 03:18 AM

br1

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,825 posts
QUOTE (r3xt0n @ Apr 11 2011, 02:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am using Michelin Latitude Tour H/P 255/65/R16. Rexton Owner Manual do specify 29PSI.

What is your tyre size? If you are using the recommended tyre size to spec, you should follow its recommended pressure as well.

Do note that each petrol station PSI reading may not be 100% accurate. Some bros tested that there is a difference as much as 3 PSI between petrol station pump and actual pressure gauge check. I just pumped nitrogen at 30PSI (measured by 2 different type of pressure gauge by the tyre shop) but it is harder and bumpy than my usual 215kpa (31.2 PSI) at petrol station.

Just checked that those common a pressure gauge having accuracies of +/- 3 PSI, maybe should get a digital one that should be more accurate.

A better way is Flour Test as follows

i. Spread Flour of about 3mm thick on a flat floor in front of a tire covering the full width of the tire
ii. Slowly drive the tire straight through the flour
iii. Analyze the pattern. It will be easy to tell where the most pressure is.
iv. If there is more pressure in the center...decrease your tire pressure.
v. If there is more pressure on the outsides...increase your tire pressure.
vi. Repeat this procedure until you get even pressure across the full width of the tire.

I tried 230kpa (33.3 PSI) as recommended by the tyre shop but found it too bouncy. I think it is safer to follow the car manufacturer spec than the tyre shop because each vehicle weight and suspension system is different.

Ori manuf tyre size is 235/60/17 (Only available from C - NOT available in Malaysia market, cost from SC s only RM430.00) - Maxxis tyre, made in Thailand and damn hard lousy road grip and very very noisy, upon taking delivery of new car changed to Toyo tyres, size 235/65/17 - make the car alittle higher but performed very well. So far have used 4 sets for my 2 rides.- need special order fr this tyres in advance - I was told the Honda CRV kakis is grabbing up this tyres for their CRV rides.

rx270xdi

Posted 11 April 2011 - 08:44 AM

rx270xdi

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 765 posts
Bro Re3ton,

My Cap is pumped at 36 psi front and 35psi rear, just nice and good grip except a little bumpy above 160km/hr, if less than 32psi the tyre side wall is too soft and high speed corner is not stable!!! Maybe my tyre road gripping compound and the side walls are soft if they are pumped at low psi. I use Japan's Toyo Proxies STII (max psi it can hold is 55psi, so it is still at the very lower end psi), I have not tried Michellin but our Cap members also last time pump 30- 32 psi is not good to use, unstable and not good at cornering and tyres makan on 2 front outer sides. They also pumped to 34-35-36psi to get good result.

Suggest give a try pumping to 33-34-35 to 36 psi on your Rex, and see what psi suit you best, No harm trying - air is free if not satisfactory just let off - hehehe - just my 2 cts!!!

P/S - for msia local, indo, phil & thai tyres it is advicesable to keep to the manuf's recommended psi or check on the side wall their max psi it can hold! Dont push to the extreme max limit.

Hi Bro,

Difference car difference spec and difference requirement, you can read the previous post which we already discuss to this topic, no one like to drive with 34-35 even worse 36psig tire pressure. Rexton is using 255/65/16 tire, which is bigger the bore diameter can stand for higher weight.

r3xt0n

Posted 11 April 2011 - 12:13 PM

r3xt0n

White Lightning

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,148 posts
QUOTE (br1 @ Apr 11 2011, 03:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ori manuf tyre size is 235/60/17 (Only available from C - NOT available in Malaysia market, cost from SC s only RM430.00) - Maxxis tyre, made in Thailand and damn hard lousy road grip and very very noisy, upon taking delivery of new car changed to Toyo tyres, size 235/65/17 - make the car alittle higher but performed very well. So far have used 4 sets for my 2 rides.- need special order fr this tyres in advance - I was told the Honda CRV kakis is grabbing up this tyres for their CRV rides.

Slimmer tyre should feel lighter but the lowest that we have gone so far is 245/70/R16 because this is more common than 255/65/R16. The last time I checked, Michelin Latitude Tour HP 245/70/R16 from Thailand is selling around RM500/pc while 255/65/R16 from Poland is selling RM600/pc. So, that's close to 20% cheaper.

tkw138

Posted 11 April 2011 - 12:25 PM

tkw138

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 242 posts
Bro Re3ton,

Bro br1,

I think your situation is similar to mine.
I inflate my tyres just like what you did at my nearest P station.

One of the reason is because my absorbers are very weak.
2nd reason is the uneven wear & tare on my front tyres with low pressure.

For experienced owers, you will observe your tyre - the tyre that carrying load on the ground should look a bit buncit.
If you don't see the different, believe it is inflated too much. That is definately not a good idea.
In other hand, tyres not inflated sufficiently will not respond well especially a car weight > 2 tons on the run.

So, for experienced users, try observe your tyre's shape after inflating and should be able to find the best "loaded shape" that suite your ride.
That is what I have been doing.

KW

rex4585

Posted 11 April 2011 - 04:32 PM

rex4585

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 681 posts
For RexII the specs say 32psi all round. Just ordered a pair of Konis for front. Yellow colour for sports. As for rear intend to go for another brand as fear Konis too hard and uncomfortable.

br1

Posted 11 April 2011 - 06:42 PM

br1

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,825 posts
QUOTE (tkw138 @ Apr 11 2011, 12:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Bro br1,

KW

Brand new car with new absorber, and moreover, Cap absorber are real hard and and stiff with the rear super heavy duty type. which is self levelling adjusting when load in on. Imagine the rear absorber outer shaft diameter of approx. 75-80mm.

Tyres - I dont think so as I use Brand new imported good & high performance tyres.

So it is maybe the car charateristic and the tyres used, which I have found it is most suitable to increase psi to suit.
Dont follow my extra high psi on your Rex.

r3xt0n

Posted 11 April 2011 - 10:27 PM

r3xt0n

White Lightning

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,148 posts
QUOTE (tkw138 @ Apr 11 2011, 12:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Bro br1,

For experienced owers, you will observe your tyre - the tyre that carrying load on the ground should look a bit buncit.
If you don't see the different, believe it is inflated too much. That is definately not a good idea.
In other hand, tyres not inflated sufficiently will not respond well especially a car weight > 2 tons on the run.

So, for experienced users, try observe your tyre's shape after inflating and should be able to find the best "loaded shape" that suite your ride.
That is what I have been doing.

KW

Maybe you like to consider changing your Absorbers. OEM Hyunkai is only about RM100 each, cheap cheap. With the rubber damper added, maybe this combination is good enough unless you expecting racing handling, then go for Koni.

rex4585

Posted 21 April 2011 - 04:20 PM

rex4585

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 681 posts
QUOTE (r3xt0n @ Apr 11 2011, 10:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Maybe you like to consider changing your Absorbers. OEM Hyunkai is only about RM100 each, cheap cheap. With the rubber damper added, maybe this combination is good enough unless you expecting racing handling, then go for Koni.

Change the rear shocks on my old Rex to Hunkai. Can say it is extremely good value and quite good ride. I use it without rear rubber dampers. Suggest all bros should look into their shocks. If still original most likely kaput oledi. Mine RexII only 4 years old and 80k km also gone very soft. Anyway SC chap tells me RexII has softer suspension but says mine more soft than normal. It woubles and rolls like a sailing galleon on high seas. Change front to Hunkai today and rear to original Ssangyong. My Koni for front not arrive yet. Will report after more time with it.
BTW the front for Rex and RexII are same. For the rear the bush size is different for Rex and RexII and not interchangeable.

r3xt0n

Posted 21 April 2011 - 09:12 PM

r3xt0n

White Lightning

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,148 posts
QUOTE (rex4585 @ Apr 21 2011, 04:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Change the rear shocks on my old Rex to Hunkai. Can say it is extremely good value and quite good ride. I use it without rear rubber dampers. Suggest all bros should look into their shocks. If still original most likely kaput oledi. Mine RexII only 4 years old and 80k km also gone very soft. Anyway SC chap tells me RexII has softer suspension but says mine more soft than normal. It woubles and rolls like a sailing galleon on high seas. Change front to Hunkai today and rear to original Ssangyong. My Koni for front not arrive yet. Will report after more time with it.
BTW the front for Rex and RexII are same. For the rear the bush size is different for Rex and RexII and not interchangeable.

Wah like this can arrange Group Buy for OEM Hyunkai Absorbers already. Anyone else interested?