Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Pakatan : Time To Slash Taxes On Car

• Please log in to reply

kcfoo76

Posted 16 February 2011 - 01:19 PM

kcfoo76

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 562 posts
QUOTE (flee @ Feb 15 2011, 02:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why did you just seize on one sentence and not read the meaning of the whole post?

Yes, there are many selfish people around - like those who clog up the schools with their stupid cars. Why can't they just use the bas sekolahs? Why do people even need to drive to the local sundry shop that is 1 km away just to buy ciggies or sweets? The Klang Valley is so polluted with car exhaust emissions. And people, including members of this forum, decat their cars without even thinking about the environmental impact it has on their own children.

In case you did not understand my original message, here is what I had meant to say:

Yes, make cars cheap to buy but expensive to run so that people will think twice about driving and plan their journeys better. Bottom line is the polluter pays - if you want to drive, then pay for the privilege. If you want to run your stationary car's engine so that you can enjoy the aircond, please pay up! Don't expect subsidies for that!

why reduce car tax must increase petrol price or reduce subsidies? thats the principle of our Guoman. PRK principle is to reduce people burden and make people life easier smile_thumbup.gif . Pakatan only mentioned about waive tax but nothing on removal of petrol subsidies smile_tongue.gif Bear in mind, we pay very high tax but min social welfare as compare to most countries. Not to mentioned. we are an oil country who have free flow petrol from the ground. Look at how much Brunei take care of its people, cheap car cheap oil.

please do not confused the two issue here.

I only cut one sentense, cos no intension to made the thread too lenghty, no means for distort your message. The topic is "cheaper car, reduce bruden, it had nothing to do with traffic or pollution. Malaysia air consider very clean compare to most metropolitan like Shanghai, Beijing Hong Kong & etc.

Green environment is too big a topic to discuss here.

cbsteh

Posted 16 February 2011 - 01:53 PM

cbsteh

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,531 posts
I think discussions so far ignore the serious knock-on or spillover effects when the price of petrol/diesel goes up. Yes, it would reduce the number of cars on the road, but it would also increase the price of nearly everything including food and electricity. Whatever savings you made when you buy cheaper cars would be diverted, not to petrol, but to purchasing more expensive essentials.

The point that people often do not realize is it takes a very brave politician (whether he/she is from BN or your favourite DAP politician) to stand up and say before an election, "If I am elected, the price of petrol would go up."

He/she is committing political suicide because that is not what general person wants to hear. The general Malaysian public wants to hear things like:

"Petrol price down"
"Food price down"
"Free water"
"Low tax"
"No to English use in schools"

So, if anyone says anything to the contrary, he/she would not only fail to be elected but also be kicked out from his/her own political party.

To be a successful politician, you have to give people what they want, even if you know what they want is not good for them.

kaylcar

Posted 16 February 2011 - 01:58 PM

kaylcar

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,589 posts
isn't the real problem here that "tax" on cars is used as a smokescreen for dirty business in the auto trade, and it reaches into the highest levels of Gov? I'm talking about AP's, and it's evil sister, the NAP, the effects of which are felt as a burden to all road users. The policy affects everything from public transport to road planning. The funny thing is, it's all secret! Not even all the cabinet Ministers are aware of what policies MITI has and how they are administered!

If you are a Gov., "worker" who benefits from these paternalistic policies, good for you. If not, bad luck for not being invited to the party.

QUOTE (kcfoo76 @ Feb 16 2011, 01:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
why reduce car tax must increase petrol price or reduce subsidies? thats the principle of our Guoman. PRK principle is to reduce people burden and make people life easier smile_thumbup.gif . Pakatan only mentioned about waive tax but nothing on removal of petrol subsidies smile_tongue.gif Bear in mind, we pay very high tax but min social welfare as compare to most countries. Not to mentioned. we are an oil country who have free flow petrol from the ground. Look at how much Brunei take care of its people, cheap car cheap oil.

I only cut one sentense, cos no intension to made the thread too lenghty, no means for distort your message. The topic is "cheaper car, reduce bruden, it had nothing to do with traffic or pollution. Malaysia air consider very clean compare to most metropolitan like Shanghai, Beijing Hong Kong & etc.

1,463,700 Scoville heat units.....can u feel the burn?

flee

Posted 16 February 2011 - 02:07 PM

flee

White Lightning

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,018 posts
QUOTE (kcfoo76 @ Feb 16 2011, 01:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I guess that is why it is never easy to do things in this country. People look at their own narrow and selfish interests only. Tell me how is a Pakatan Rakyat govt. going to finance their other programmes if they cut car taxes and do not have other income to replace it? Remember, the BN govt. is so addicted to the billions of RM collected in car taxes. That is why they find it hard to give them up. Its easy money for them.

Just because we are an oil producing country does not mean that we abuse the blessing. We must use oil in a responsible manner because it is a finite resource. Do not waste what is god given or future generations will have to pay the price.

This is a FORUM. So what is the point of having a discussion if all you want to talk about is cut car taxes? It will be very simple isn't it? Cut car taxes and bankrupt the govt. In the end there will be no development because the govt. will be bankrupt!

If we do not keep an eye of traffic congestion and environmental pollution now, the cost of fixing these problems will be far higher than prevention. So do you want your income and other taxes to escalate exponentially should the pollution problems become huge?
Regards,
Flee

cbsteh

Posted 16 February 2011 - 02:15 PM

cbsteh

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,531 posts
QUOTE (flee @ Feb 16 2011, 02:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just because we are an oil producing country does not mean that we abuse the blessing. We must use oil in a responsible manner because it is a finite resource. Do not waste what is god given or future generations will have to pay the price.

True, true. Malaysia may be an oil-producing country and be currently self sufficient in energy, but our oil production has been declining since the mid 1980s. It is estimated that Malaysia may have to import energy by 2015 or perhaps 2020. Recently, however, oil deposits have been found offshore Sarawak.

Nevertheless, we must still try to wean ourselves off oil. The US Energy Information Adminstration (EIA) estimates that the price per oil barrel would continue to rise and hit USD180 by 2030.

kcfoo76

Posted 16 February 2011 - 02:53 PM

kcfoo76

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 562 posts
QUOTE (flee @ Feb 16 2011, 02:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I guess that is why it is never easy to do things in this country. People look at their own narrow and selfish interests only. Tell me how is a Pakatan Rakyat govt. going to finance their other programmes if they cut car taxes and do not have other income to replace it? Remember, the BN govt. is so addicted to the billions of RM collected in car taxes. That is why they find it hard to give them up. Its easy money for them.

This is a FORUM. So what is the point of having a discussion if all you want to talk about is cut car taxes? It will be very simple isn't it? Cut car taxes and bankrupt the govt. In the end there will be no development because the govt. will be bankrupt!

If we do not keep an eye of traffic congestion and environmental pollution now, the cost of fixing these problems will be far higher than prevention. So do you want your income and other taxes to escalate exponentially should the pollution problems become huge?

my point is simple, the country "may" run better with a new leader, a new team.

the way i see....we are like the previous "sick" nissan, we in need of a true leader like carlos Ghosn to manage properly and turn it into a profitable nissan.

kcfoo76

Posted 16 February 2011 - 02:56 PM

kcfoo76

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 562 posts
QUOTE (cbsteh @ Feb 16 2011, 02:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
True, true. Malaysia may be an oil-producing country and be currently self sufficient in energy, but our oil production has been declining since the mid 1980s. It is estimated that Malaysia may have to import energy by 2015 or perhaps 2020. Recently, however, oil deposits have been found offshore Sarawak.

Nevertheless, we must still try to wean ourselves off oil. The US Energy Information Adminstration (EIA) estimates that the price per oil barrel would continue to rise and hit USD180 by 2030.

i am in oil and gas industry, we still have oil resources, specially offshore. telling the people, we are running short resources so that it is a good excuse to raise petrol price.

bear in mind, one day the car will run on elec or h2O. cheaper car would still benefit the people.

cbsteh

Posted 16 February 2011 - 03:20 PM

cbsteh

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,531 posts
QUOTE (kcfoo76 @ Feb 16 2011, 02:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i am in oil and gas industry, we still have oil resources, specially offshore. telling the people, we are running short resources so that it is a good excuse to raise petrol price.
bear in mind, one day the car will run on elec or h2O. cheaper car would still benefit the people.

The data I got was from International Energy Agency publication: "ENERGY BALANCES OF NON-OECD COUNTRIES (2010 Edition). International Energy Agency, France. 2010."

Particularly, a chart I extracted from pg. 198 showing the falling self sufficiency levels for Malaysia:

Of course, one could say, without proof, that these figures have been falsely manipulated by the government, and so on and on.

kcfoo76

Posted 16 February 2011 - 06:31 PM

kcfoo76

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 562 posts
QUOTE (cbsteh @ Feb 16 2011, 03:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The data I got was from International Energy Agency publication: "ENERGY BALANCES OF NON-OECD COUNTRIES (2010 Edition). International Energy Agency, France. 2010."

Particularly, a chart I extracted from pg. 198 showing the falling self sufficiency levels for Malaysia:

Of course, one could say, without proof, that these figures have been falsely manipulated by the government, and so on and on.

yes, you are right, likewise china hide their own oil and import from oversea. but thats for the military strategy purpose.

ring

Posted 16 February 2011 - 11:16 PM

ring

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,628 posts
...after reading all your comments...I will still vote for a clean government. That government will not be a BN bcos

1. Mainstream media one-sided. Did many cover ups. Only supply news the govern wants u to hear not otherwise
2. Idiotic education system & administration
3. Most high profile corruption cases (eg. PKFZ) "tune down" / low publicity (transparency...my foot)
4. Bad country's financial administration..resulting cut of subsidies, increase of important household commodities' prices, dwindling FDI, etc
5. Country being administered by "monkeys"....also, you can see almost all ministers do not have strong credentials & track records
6.....my lists can go on

That's my 2 cents of view.

Do not bother to read if you still think I am wrong.

Ring

"IDEMITSU engine oil and YUASA Battery...A truely Japanese quality product"