Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

How To Reduce Tires Noise From Intruding Inside Cabin?

• Please log in to reply

vr2turbo

Posted 29 December 2010 - 09:36 AM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 71,490 posts
QUOTE (banker @ Dec 28 2010, 09:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
feelfree,
why do you need a gauge to test the sound level when you have a fool proof equipment, your ear? i think what you have is the fear of spending the $$ and not justifying it... let me share my experience...
I have been a customer of DC since the mid 90s, when autofoam was not that popular yet.... back then i too have your concern... spending my hard earned $$ on something that might not give me the equal the value... went thru all the postings and feedbacks and countless visits to DC shop (last time no milo kau offered) to get more understanding. As DC can attest, I am very very careful with how I spend my dosh... keep the long story short, fast forward to present 15+ years and 6 rides later... I am still a customer of DC... all my rides AF by his team.... if it is not worthwhile, would I return?

Now back to to topic, for you to truly appreciate the SP/Autofoam that have been done, first and foremost, you must understand the characteristic of your ride, where and what are the nuisance that are affecting you.... trust your ear, then tell DC what are the things that are affecting you and he will provide a cure... my requirement might not be the same as yours... and what i worry is that if your friends did the AF/SP based on follower's concept (do the same as my friend ride)... then it might not have the maximised effect... analogy, you cant go see a doctor and ask for the same medicine he prescribe to the previous patient as both of you have the same symptom, right?

Just to inform, I am so comfortable with the product when I got my current ride, straight away I brought it to DC to have it autofoamed, but he refused, insisting that I should understand the car before anything is done to appreciate the changes.... now that is what i call customer focus... Personally there is always a different solution to every different problem... can't do wholesale.....

But I know some people who requires charted results...... smile_shock.gif
I agree that you should be familiar with your current ride before doing any SP, so that you can tell the difference..... smile_wink.gif

nextar

Posted 30 December 2010 - 12:44 PM

nextar

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 339 posts
Hi,

I believe the more priced the car the better the sound proofing(SP). So if you already bought the more expensive car the SP package is already paid for. No matter how you upgrade the SP, there will be negligible improvement.

mivecpower

Posted 30 December 2010 - 12:45 PM

mivecpower

3rd Gear

• Members
  • 3 posts
Hi, I'm new here - been active on other forums but recently got introduced to autoworld.

this topic is interesting to me as I've done various soundproofing packages at KL Auto on my Lancer GT and casually play with audio and sound. Since most japanese cars dont match the level of conti factory soundproofing it became a personal interest to find the right balance for my tastes.

honestly to get a satisfying effect in a modern japanese car, you need to spend a minimum of 2-3k (depending on whats annoying you and the car itself and of course how sensitive/fussy you are). Also as some sounds get quieter, some other noise becomes more apparent so doing an overall balanced soundproofing is necessary. this may scare some people but this is better than telling you you'll get a miracle by installing fender/roar soundproofing and expect it to cure your problems.

I know some who only tried roar buster/killer would probably not be satisfied as it only addresses some frequencies and is only part of the solution. different cars have their problem areas and you probably need a mix of some autofoam and soundproofing to get the balanced effect.

you also need to decide on how long you'll be using the car as its an investment that you cannot "see, hold or touch" (except for doors and fender knock test) but can feel with your ears and your driving satisfaction. personally since I hang on to my cars longer than 2-3 years, its worthwhile for me to get the satisfaction. much cheaper than changing cars so often too smile.gif

hope this helps. I dont work for KL Auto but my experience there has been good and you begin to appreciate how much soundproofing is an art more so than just slapping on some dynamat on the car panels.

vr2turbo

Posted 30 December 2010 - 03:34 PM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • 71,490 posts
QUOTE (mivecpower @ Dec 30 2010, 12:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi, I'm new here - been active on other forums but recently got introduced to autoworld.

this topic is interesting to me as I've done various soundproofing packages at KL Auto on my Lancer GT and casually play with audio and sound. Since most japanese cars dont match the level of conti factory soundproofing it became a personal interest to find the right balance for my tastes.

honestly to get a satisfying effect in a modern japanese car, you need to spend a minimum of 2-3k (depending on whats annoying you and the car itself and of course how sensitive/fussy you are). Also as some sounds get quieter, some other noise becomes more apparent so doing an overall balanced soundproofing is necessary. this may scare some people but this is better than telling you you'll get a miracle by installing fender/roar soundproofing and expect it to cure your problems.

I know some who only tried roar buster/killer would probably not be satisfied as it only addresses some frequencies and is only part of the solution. different cars have their problem areas and you probably need a mix of some autofoam and soundproofing to get the balanced effect.

you also need to decide on how long you'll be using the car as its an investment that you cannot "see, hold or touch" (except for doors and fender knock test) but can feel with your ears and your driving satisfaction. personally since I hang on to my cars longer than 2-3 years, its worthwhile for me to get the satisfaction. much cheaper than changing cars so often too smile.gif

hope this helps. I dont work for KL Auto but my experience there has been good and you begin to appreciate how much soundproofing is an art more so than just slapping on some dynamat on the car panels.

As the Chinese saying goes, pay one sen get one sen worth, therefore all depends on your priorities.
The more quiet the more needed..... smile_tongue.gif

madex

Posted 03 January 2011 - 10:14 AM

madex

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 216 posts
Again, NVH solution is not cheap. BMW would not need it Accoustic Dept just to work on NVH if they knew low budget car will get same level of NVH with their entry level car for only RM380!... smile_blackeye.gif

vr2turbo

Posted 03 January 2011 - 11:35 AM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • 71,490 posts
QUOTE (madex @ Jan 3 2011, 10:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Again, NVH solution is not cheap. BMW would not need it Accoustic Dept just to work on NVH if they knew low budget car will get same level of NVH with their entry level car for only RM380!... smile_blackeye.gif

Seen some older BM doing some refurbishing of interior that some pillars already have some original foaming done...... smile_thumbup.gif

dchong

Posted 03 January 2011 - 01:03 PM

dchong

Road Warrior

• Advertiser
  • PipPip
  • 675 posts
Hi,

Firstly, wishing everyone here a FANTASTIC 2011.
( Somehow, cant get into AW earlier....???).

Feelfree,

We can do a dB meter test but it wont be accurate for Tire noise. Tire noise frequency band is too wide band for a simple SPL meter.
For the record, we have recorded 9dB overall reduction consistently with our Soundproofing solutions.

For guys hoping for huge improvements with just a single solution...it is possible if you are driving a BMW, Audi, the latest M/Benz.
We have successfully cured tire noise on the the latest M/B C class with Roar Buster alone.

But if you driving an Asian car with Goodyear NCts, PPs,...you also have to treat the thin panels like doors, boot, the empty wheel wells, hollow pillars etc.

My sincere thanks to bros Madex, Banker, Mivecpower for sharing your input here.

Cheers,

Des
KL AUTO
http://www.autofoam.com.my/autofoam/
KL Auto Accessories Sdn. Bhd.
No: 66, Jalan Dato Haji Eusoff, Kompleks Damai
Off Jalan Ipoh, 50400 Kuala Lumpur
Tel: 603-4042 9928 / 603-4044 9928
H/P No: 017-282 3073 (Desmond Chong)
http://www.autofoam.com.my/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Autofoam/193456474019263

vr2turbo

Posted 03 January 2011 - 01:07 PM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • 71,490 posts
QUOTE (dchong @ Jan 3 2011, 01:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi,

Firstly, wishing everyone here a FANTASTIC 2011.
( Somehow, cant get into AW earlier....???).

Cheers,

Des
KL AUTO
http://www.autofoam.com.my/autofoam/

AW IPS Driver kaput since 31/Dec until today...... smile_blackeye.gif

madex

Posted 03 January 2011 - 02:41 PM

madex

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 216 posts
QUOTE (vr2turbo @ Jan 3 2011, 11:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Seen some older BM doing some refurbishing of interior that some pillars already have some original foaming done...... smile_thumbup.gif

My Ford got some original foam at bottom of B pillar. Some SP on front wheel arces. smile_thumbup.gif

bluecivic

Posted 06 January 2011 - 04:08 PM

bluecivic

1st Gear

• Members
  • 1 posts
I drive a Civic and I've been a customer of KL Auto for a couple of years now. Before I went there, I did do some basic sound proofing at another place for <RM1000. I wasn't particularly impressed what that job cos I got very negligeable noise reduction. I met Desmond a few months later. Desmond took a look at that job, then suggested I do some tweaks here and there for a fraction of the cost and the cabin became quiter by several folds. He's good at what he does cos he takes an engineering approach for each car he services. Provided you don't be cocky with him ... he's a 30 year vetaran ...

I too changed tyres recently from Goodyear Assymetrics to a much quiter Michellin PS3. When I did this, the tyre roar reduced significantly ... to a point my ears started picking up sounds I never noticed before--- like engine revs and wind noise. The reality is, our ears become more sensitive in quieter environments and less sensitive in loud environments. Similar to how the iris in our eyes changes sizes to how bright the light coming into our eyes is, similarly, the ear does the same thing. Hence, you can't compare a meter reading to how you would perceive reduction or increase in cabin noise.

I installed the roar buster last week on my front wheels and at some roads, I can't hear any road at all. On other roads, I hear a roar but it was at no way as bad as before. A combination of quiet tyres, good sound proofing and some music is perhaps the best way to make a joyous journey. Autofoam is a great investment too ... not just for sound but ride comfort if you're not already driving a BMW/MERC that come with foam from factory.

*I too don't work for KL Auto. But like many others, am a happy customer.