Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

A Sudden Encounter With Puddle Of Water

• Please log in to reply

cbsteh

Posted 10 December 2010 - 07:33 PM

cbsteh

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,531 posts
Let's say you are driving at about 50-80 km/h without a care in the world. Suddenly, in front of your car is a long stretch of a puddle of water. Is it safe to step hard on the brake to slow down the car or just let the car go through the puddle?

I am asking because someone once told me that it is unsafe to suddenly step on the brake just before the car enters the puddle of water because there is a risk of skidding? Is this true?

nofear1979

Posted 10 December 2010 - 10:47 PM

nofear1979

Hot Rod

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14,648 posts
QUOTE (cbsteh @ Dec 10 2010, 07:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Let's say you are driving at about 50-80 km/h without a care in the world. Suddenly, in front of your car is a long stretch of a puddle of water. Is it safe to step hard on the brake to slow down the car or just let the car go through the puddle?

I am asking because someone once told me that it is unsafe to suddenly step on the brake just before the car enters the puddle of water because there is a risk of skidding? Is this true?

step on the brake before the puddle of water.. let go once your tyre almost touching it..
both of your hand must on the steering..... try to keep the wheels straight

if you spun, let go the steering... i survived quite many time on Hydroplaning or aquaplaning with the wrong & stupid falken tyres...
2012 NMT Vice President - nofear1979

Human Resource Solutions
We provide a comprehensive range of Human Resource (HR) management solutions

cashloke

Posted 10 December 2010 - 11:09 PM

cashloke

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 966 posts

Wei! Your car got anti skid ma, won't spin gua.

rallychamp

Posted 11 December 2010 - 12:13 AM

rallychamp

hands on habbit

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,669 posts
release the throttle and let only engine braking slowing the car....grip your steering firmer and be prepared to do any counter-steer/steering adjustment just in case if your car swaying around when hitting the puddle....

*crazy drifter|| http://img225.images...gilalahlagi.jpg
*Drift King is Back!!|| http://img580.images...ahdkterbaik.jpg
(NFS Underground)

cbsteh

Posted 11 December 2010 - 12:36 AM

cbsteh

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,531 posts
QUOTE (rallychamp @ Dec 11 2010, 12:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
release the throttle and let only engine braking slowing the car....grip your steering firmer and be prepared to do any counter-steer/steering adjustment just in case if your car swaying around when hitting the puddle....

Would counter steering makes my car spin even worse? I mean if someone (like me) panics and start to counter steer too hard, would that make things even worse? Or would it be better just to let the car skid and hope (and pray) for the best?

rallychamp

Posted 11 December 2010 - 01:44 AM

rallychamp

hands on habbit

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,669 posts
QUOTE (cbsteh @ Dec 11 2010, 12:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Would counter steering makes my car spin even worse? I mean if someone (like me) panics and start to counter steer too hard, would that make things even worse? Or would it be better just to let the car skid and hope (and pray) for the best?

well thats depends heavily on your reaction time when the car starts to loose its grip.....

but dun worry..even if u fail to save the car from spin..atleast u could try to steer away from hazard (oncoming traffic/divider/drain/cliff)

(NFS Underground)

nofear1979

Posted 11 December 2010 - 01:45 AM

nofear1979

Hot Rod

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14,648 posts
QUOTE (rallychamp @ Dec 11 2010, 12:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

smile_thumbup.gif

experience driver will know to do counter steer...
2012 NMT Vice President - nofear1979

Human Resource Solutions
We provide a comprehensive range of Human Resource (HR) management solutions

r3xt0n

Posted 11 December 2010 - 02:34 AM

r3xt0n

White Lightning

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,148 posts

Lower gear and get ready to step acceleration if the car start to lose traction. Wheel with acceleration hold grounds better than wheel on brake especially when there is minimum friction with the ground. But your next worry is if the pool of water that may cause wave and get into your engine or any other electronic parts, but this could be better than losing control of your car. The next thing to do if you encounter puddle of water frequently is to get higher car, perhaps a 4X4 that has higher ground clearance and 4WD provide better ground holding.

cbsteh

Posted 11 December 2010 - 04:43 PM

cbsteh

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,531 posts
QUOTE (r3xt0n @ Dec 11 2010, 02:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Lower gear and get ready to step acceleration if the car start to lose traction. Wheel with acceleration hold grounds better than wheel on brake especially when there is minimum friction with the ground. But your next worry is if the pool of water that may cause wave and get into your engine or any other electronic parts, but this could be better than losing control of your car. The next thing to do if you encounter puddle of water frequently is to get higher car, perhaps a 4X4 that has higher ground clearance and 4WD provide better ground holding.

Do they teach this stuff, perhaps in the AAM defensive driving course?

rallychamp

Posted 11 December 2010 - 10:46 PM

rallychamp

hands on habbit

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,669 posts
QUOTE (cbsteh @ Dec 11 2010, 04:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Do they teach this stuff, perhaps in the AAM defensive driving course?

most defensive driving course would teach car control technic.... smile_thumbup.gif

(NFS Underground)