Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Toyota Altis 1.8 With Dual Vvt-i And Cvt Coming To Malaysia?

• Please log in to reply

swinee

Posted 07 September 2010 - 12:18 AM

swinee

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,042 posts
QUOTE (Kwar @ Sep 2 2010, 02:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Others giving 6 speeder autobox...they oso wanna save face giving 7 speed ....CVT auto! smile_clown.gif Dual VVti only got 140+ hp??? smile_tongue.gif Sayonara to TOYO_TA!!

omg..another basher here..
when Lexus first launched 8AT for LS, den someone mentioned Lexus need invent extra 1 more gear over 7G-tronic..
now BMW have 8 spd as well , and Merz is coming up wit a 9spd..
so can i concluded that merz wanna save face by giving 9 spd over lexus / bmw... smile_blush.gif

pls..dual vvti wit 140hp, is all about fuelefficiency, and smoothness..it have a highly tuned version available..
well Honda always have a highly tuned engine on paper..but wat happen on realworld?
it just doesnt work that way man.. smile_blackeye.gif

scenic

Posted 07 September 2010 - 09:52 AM

scenic

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,156 posts
QUOTE (swinee @ Sep 7 2010, 12:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
omg..another basher here..
when Lexus first launched 8AT for LS, den someone mentioned Lexus need invent extra 1 more gear over 7G-tronic..
now BMW have 8 spd as well , and Merz is coming up wit a 9spd..
so can i concluded that merz wanna save face by giving 9 spd over lexus / bmw... smile_blush.gif

pls..dual vvti wit 140hp, is all about fuelefficiency, and smoothness..it have a highly tuned version available..
well Honda always have a highly tuned engine on paper..but wat happen on realworld?

Agree with you swinee. Real world drivability and paper figure are totally different things. Cheers.
director's choice

kinboon

Posted 07 September 2010 - 10:01 AM

kinboon

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 110 posts
[/quote]

need opinion,
dual vvti wit 140hp - how doesn't this compare with the current altis in term of power and pick up.
....................Moving around for Cheese

swinee

Posted 07 September 2010 - 10:37 AM

swinee

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,042 posts
QUOTE (scenic @ Sep 7 2010, 09:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Agree with you swinee. Real world drivability and paper figure are totally different things. Cheers.

sometimes ppl are too obsess with on paper figure.. smile_blush.gif

swinee

Posted 07 September 2010 - 10:47 AM

swinee

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,042 posts
QUOTE (kinboon @ Sep 7 2010, 10:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
need opinion,
dual vvti wit 140hp - how doesn't this compare with the current altis in term of power and pick up.

the 2.0v come wit 147hp/187nm and the 1.8G come with 140hp/173nm
so interms of power it already better than the the current outgoing 1ZZ-FE which is a very responsive and adequate unit.. smile_tongue.gif
as usual the any engine mated wit CVT gearbox, the urging power surely is to be missed compared to previous 4AT, so some one might feel that it lack the power..but the truth is the power is there..just u dun feel it..try kick down and do 0-100km/h sprint..den surely u will know the power of CVT smile_tongue.gif

and according to taiwan release the altis dual vvti + cvt have the best class leading FC figure in its class..Yeah..if not mistaken 16km+/L..tat is quite a shoking figure..again whether we could achieve that in MY is another story.. smile_blush.gif
but i believe that wit new engine and cvt, surely it will have an improvement in terms of FC over the current already frugal 1ZZ-FE

jayraptor

Posted 07 September 2010 - 11:01 AM

jayraptor

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts
QUOTE (hideiyoshi @ Sep 1 2010, 09:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I wonder if there's a need to install transmission cooler............. smile_blackeye.gif

Hi Hideiyoshi,
Whatever cars that are sold here, they must have transmission cooler especially enlarged version like the larger radiator suited to our temperature to prevent overheating. Straining the gearbox especially going uphill slope such as Genting and Cameron will require efficient cooling.

Hi Kwar,

The engine is undersquare (Bore x Stroke : 80.5 × 97.6 mm >> longer stroke), more towards torque making it harder to get 150hp but it still takes overall for determining its acceleration. With dual VVTi, it should not be problem tweaking it to 150hp. Maybe Toyota thinks its acceleration is already good enough at 145hp and focus more on getting good FC.

Last Sunday's CBT reported its:
output > 145hp@6200rpm
torque > 187Nm@3600rpm

That seems to be weird, not sure whether they made any mistake on the torque figure because Taiwan carmedia reported its torque is 194Nm@3,900 rpm. Surely CBT made printing mistake again.

Hi Swinee, Scenic & kinboon,

Dual VVTi, you can choose to tweak it towards super FC with normal performance or super performance but still maintain good FC. Honda's i-VTEC is getting dated loosing to dual VVTi and dual CVVT by today's standings.

The only reason why Civic 2.0 could get 9.2s in 0-100km/h just because of its low height and sharp slope backwards angle of its A-pillar giving it 0.26cd in drag co-efficient.

If the Civic were to have height of 1460mm with 0.29cd, it could only achieve estimated acceleration of >10.5s close to 11s with that torque. The Accord G8 losing to Camry in acceleration already tells it all, 12s vs 11s.

Hi Yeong,

It will not hold back the Koreans as they have dual CVVT together with ex-Audi & BMW designers to build them nice cars at affordable price. So far, only the Avante 1.6GDI with output of 1.8L being released in Korea. When comes to worldwide market, they'll fit the 2.0L + 6-speed gearbox (RON95 compatible) to pit against Altis at RM10k cheaper. Focus 2011 with dual VVT too will join the match next year followed by several more makes/models.

This is part of main reason why Toyota suddenly become generous to ASEAN buyers. Crappy dugong Vios is still around.

Slightly related news >> Sonata YF 2.4 dual CVVT is aggressively pitting against Camry 2.5 dual VVTi in American market and winning.

darreltian

Posted 07 September 2010 - 11:04 AM

darreltian

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,823 posts
QUOTE (swinee @ Sep 7 2010, 10:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
the 2.0v come wit 147hp/187nm and the 1.8G come with 140hp/173nm
so interms of power it already better than the the current outgoing 1ZZ-FE which is a very responsive and adequate unit.. smile_tongue.gif
as usual the any engine mated wit CVT gearbox, the urging power surely is to be missed compared to previous 4AT, so some one might feel that it lack the power..but the truth is the power is there..just u dun feel it..try kick down and do 0-100km/h sprint..den surely u will know the power of CVT smile_tongue.gif

and according to taiwan release the altis dual vvti + cvt have the best class leading FC figure in its class..Yeah..if not mistaken 16km+/L..tat is quite a shoking figure..again whether we could achieve that in MY is another story.. smile_blush.gif
but i believe that wit new engine and cvt, surely it will have an improvement in terms of FC over the current already frugal 1ZZ-FE

ya from paper the 2Z's offer 10% and 15% better FC for 2.0 and 1.8 respectively... smile_thumbup.gif
but i still feel honda designers not doing hard enough ot the external look and internal designs smile_disapprove.gif

jayraptor

Posted 07 September 2010 - 11:12 AM

jayraptor

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts
QUOTE (darreltian @ Sep 7 2010, 11:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ya from paper the 2Z's offer 10% and 15% better FC for 2.0 and 1.8 respectively... smile_thumbup.gif
but i still feel honda designers not doing hard enough ot the external look and internal designs smile_disapprove.gif

Honda is currently conducting multiple research on how to counter Toyota, MMC/Hyundai-Kia and Ford's superior valve timing actuators and engines that generate higher torque (pulling power) before coming up with the new Civic scheduled launch 2011. They know they'll be defeated if they still can't come up with better car. New Civic was delayed, only design is done leaving the engine question mark. It'll need new DOHC engine with dual i-VTEC that would cost more to build.

swinee

Posted 07 September 2010 - 02:09 PM

swinee

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,042 posts
QUOTE (jayraptor @ Sep 7 2010, 11:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Honda is currently conducting multiple research on how to counter Toyota, MMC/Hyundai-Kia and Ford's superior valve timing actuators and engines that generate higher torque (pulling power) before coming up with the new Civic scheduled launch 2011. They know they'll be defeated if they still can't come up with better car. New Civic was delayed, only design is done leaving the engine question mark. It'll need new DOHC engine with dual i-VTEC that would cost more to build.

actually honda now seems like playing the catching up game after the famous IVTEC..
they have the prototype for AVTEC years ago..but din bear fruit till early this year..
whilte the toyota already launched & production its Valvematic for some years!!! smile_approve.gif

tats y the new gen honda will PROPBABLY get the AVTEC instead of the current aging IVTEC..hopefully smile_blush.gif

alldisc

Posted 09 September 2010 - 11:07 AM

alldisc

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,705 posts
QUOTE (swinee @ Sep 7 2010, 02:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
actually honda now seems like playing the catching up game after the famous IVTEC..
they have the prototype for AVTEC years ago..but din bear fruit till early this year..
whilte the toyota already launched & production its Valvematic for some years!!! smile_approve.gif

tats y the new gen honda will PROPBABLY get the AVTEC instead of the current aging IVTEC..hopefully smile_blush.gif

actually, honda's i vtec is already very good in terms of emission level without much sacrifice on performance. and when combined with systems like Variable CYlinder Management has made possible for Honda cars to pass California's strict LEV status. to have a dual ivtec maybe not necessary from honda's point of view, just yet. unless they feel like competing with companies like toyota.