Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Resetting The Al4 Gear Box For B206

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

ridt

Posted 29 June 2010 - 08:24 PM

ridt

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 628 posts
QUOTE (Andy214 @ Jun 29 2010, 10:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Actually, computers are simple, they just follow the rules and conditions. As I've said, it's only YES or NO, there's no MAYBE. It's the rules that makes it complicated and depending on the refinements of the settings/rules.

Next, the computer sense your driver behaviour, registers and check to condition. If it matches, it will switch. I'm not sure if the is like need to wait how long or how many conditions need to be met before switching. Obviously, it cannot just simply switch based on 1 condition. There's many complicated rules and condition because HUMANS are complicated and the road is unpredictable. So, that's why it takes some time before adapting to the new changes.

Some people mentioned that they use the tiptronic to teach the gearbox instead. I'm not sure if the gearbox have this feature of learning when engaged to tiptronic, but you can try.

Remember, computer have no eyes, they cannot see the road; You can imagine this, ask your friend/gf/bf/etc to drive. Close your eyes and feel, can you tell what the driver want to do? Does he/she wants to go fast, slow, economy, etc? It's hard to predict, maybe you feel he wants to fast, suddenly, he slow down (maybe got car slow in front), then you will feel wierd because you don't know what happen. Or he/she is driving slow, suddenly he or she speed and accelerate hard (maybe to catch the traffic light), but you don't know what's going on.
So, it's hard to predict such situation; The computer maybe tries to adapt to your driving behaviour, suddenly you change it "temporarily", it will affect it's adaptive logic.
Maybe you can do an experiement, try to drive the SAME way in a place where there is no cars, no traffic lights, etc. see how long it takes to adap to your behaviour and how consistent is it.

But I can tell you one thing, humans are not accurate. Can you apply the same amount of pressure 100% all the time? Impossible. Let's say now you press "HALF" on the accelerator, the ECU detects and registers 55.75% (example), during this time, it may change because we're not robots, and the next time you press "HALF" again, probably it's 48.67% (example). So, it's human that cannot do "perfect" things.

i also dont think that by using tiptronic u will teach the gb how to adapt... yeah i guess al4 nott perfect since its considered quite old technology?

after taking many things in consideration ( road conidition, congestion etc.) better stick with tiptronic... smile.gif

http://www.facebook.com/thepadangs

My sweet peugeot 206 1.6 16v

Mod list : k & n typhoon air filter , 4-2-1 mandrel bent custom extractor , full piping s-flow brand topcat 1.6", denso iridium spark plugs, Unichip Q tuned by RS Impressive, 16" OZ rims
Max BHP & torque : 127 bhp @ 6,00rpm , 173 nm @ 4,000rpm (tuned for torque)

edchuang

Posted 09 July 2010 - 09:49 PM

edchuang

Advanced

• Members
  • Pip
  • 54 posts
QUOTE (ain206 @ Jun 26 2010, 09:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
1st step

Drive the car as usual and perhaps you can try to find the road condition as above.

2nd step.

Stop the car by the road side. Switch off the engine and all switches/controls that consume electricity. Do this for at least 10 second.

3rd step

Switch on the ignition and step on the accelerator for also at least 10 second. Do nothing else.

4th step

Leave the ignition 'ON" and step on the brake. While doing this play with the gear shifting from P, R, N D, 1,2,3,4,3,2,1, and back to P. Keep repeating this for at least 20 second.

5th step

Step on the accelerator for at least 20 second. Do nothing else.

6th step
Start the engine. Make sure gear at the P level. Drive the car gently/gradually like 'jalan petang'. Don't rush . If you drive it right 2nd gear will engage between 1.8-2k rpm. keep on moving and watch the RPM. You can stick to 2.5K. The gear will shift up to 3 and 4 at 2.5k although it take longer time to shift. Just keep on driving for may be 10km for the GB to learn the new shifting pattern. Even slowing down ,speed up gently so that it will still shift up at 2.5K(plus/minus).

If everything is right you will see gear shift pattern will be below 3K any time . Bear in mind that road condition will affect the shit pattern. It might go to above 3K if climbing hill. No worry. This is only while climbing and when we in a rush.

I have done this many time in trying to perfect it. People said practice makes perfect. I can now cruise at 60km/h at about 1.5k rpm in top gear.

Try it out my friend. Safe some RM by doing it ourselves and get better mileage out of it.

Hope this help in solving some annoying GB issue. If cannot then we do practical next TT ya. All the best guys!!!!

(Changing to tiptronic will not disturb the shifting pattern thereafter) - edited

P/s Do this everytime after sending your car for servicing as the diagnose computer will reset the shifting pattern

Great info Bro, now I start to adapt your method..... smile_thumbup.gif

ridt

Posted 10 July 2010 - 12:39 PM

ridt

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 628 posts
QUOTE (edchuang @ Jul 9 2010, 09:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Great info Bro, now I start to adapt your method..... smile_thumbup.gif

i request a sticky for this as this is very helpful. many users not aware of this

Mod list : k & n typhoon air filter , 4-2-1 mandrel bent custom extractor , full piping s-flow brand topcat 1.6", denso iridium spark plugs, Unichip Q tuned by RS Impressive, 16" OZ rims

nozzy

Posted 14 July 2010 - 12:10 PM

nozzy

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,654 posts
QUOTE (ridt @ Jul 10 2010, 12:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i request a sticky for this as this is very helpful. many users not aware of this

Totally AGREE

ridt

Posted 14 July 2010 - 12:56 PM

ridt

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 628 posts
QUOTE (nozzy @ Jul 14 2010, 12:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Totally AGREE

they shud put this kind of thing in the user manual u know...