Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Soundproofing

• Please log in to reply

built

Posted 20 August 2010 - 02:50 PM

built

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 210 posts
des,
ever did a kangoo? what would you recommend?

thanks.
built-2-last
Enjoy the Music

ggeatweb

Posted 02 October 2010 - 12:23 AM

ggeatweb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
White Magic @ KLAuto review

In another post, Desmond mentioned something pretty interesting: that if you are with you SP car all the time, you might not notice how good it is until you compare it with others…he used the "chili padi" analogy: if you eat chili padi every day, it doesn't feel hot at all.

Last week I paid a visit to KL Auto on my way from Penang to Johor. It was time for an upgrade to the new "white magic" solution. Well, for this case, the white magic is HOT……….EVERY TIME I DRIVE.

After I initially did lots of SP +Autofoam track 6 months ago, there was this "heavy" sound that still come out of the tyres.

(Skip this for non technical minded people smile_sleepy.gif ) If you're an engineer like me, you will notice this as a resonance effect. When the structure property changes due to SP, resonance will shift in frequency and amplify whatever noise is at that new frequency. The key is to make sure that the new resonance frequency does not coincide with the noise….to do that, we have Desmond (and his team's) ears to thank for :-)

The AF improved the ride a lot while the SP drastically reduced engine and outside noise, but that "woo woo" sound persisted. It was horrible when I went up Cameron Highlands, as much of the road is very rough.

After the "white" treatment on the doors and wheel arches, the tyres seemed to have "moved" far away from the car. While driving from KL to Johor, the highway noise was significantly reduced. It didn't sound tiring at all. I got my music playing at a lower volume, so overall my ears weren't taxed much ( == better alertness and health).

And for the past week, I notice reduced noise (hmm…actually, noise that is pleasant) on all the roads that I typically drive on. The ride seemed to improved as well. I suspect that this is psychological, as louder noise may give you the impression that the ride is worse than it is.

So for anyone who has some cash to spare and want a great soundproofing experience, pay a visit to Desmond for his latest stuff.

(PS: to Des…you owe me one.... smile_tongue.gif )

dchong

Posted 04 October 2010 - 12:13 PM

dchong

Road Warrior

• Advertiser
  • PipPip
  • 675 posts
ggeatweb bro,

YES...i owe you a BIG one.

As an engineer, you understand exactly what i was trying to achieve.
A very comfortable and relaxed ambience without any "pressure" drones.

Let me know when is your next trip down from Penang.
ps. can ta-pau Penang Prawn-Mee. smile_tongue.gif .

Cheers,

Des
KL AUTO
http://www.autofoam........0&Itemid=87
KL Auto Accessories Sdn. Bhd.
No: 66, Jalan Dato Haji Eusoff, Kompleks Damai
Off Jalan Ipoh, 50400 Kuala Lumpur
Tel: 603-4042 9928 / 603-4044 9928
H/P No: 017-282 3073 (Desmond Chong)
http://www.autofoam.com.my/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Autofoam/193456474019263

vr2turbo

Posted 06 October 2010 - 01:29 PM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 71,491 posts
QUOTE (dchong @ Oct 4 2010, 12:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ggeatweb bro,

YES...i owe you a BIG one.

As an engineer, you understand exactly what i was trying to achieve.
A very comfortable and relaxed ambience without any "pressure" drones.

Let me know when is your next trip down from Penang.
ps. can ta-pau Penang Prawn-Mee. smile_tongue.gif .

Cheers,

Des
KL AUTO
http://www.autofoam........0&Itemid=87

Char Koay Tiau for me.....ha! ha!
Aiyah, come down also cold already.....Better Char siew fan at Auto Foam...... smile_tongue.gif

k701

Posted 17 October 2010 - 06:32 PM

k701

Advanced

• Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts
[quote name='dchong' date='Aug 4 2010, 02:30 PM' post='1587544']
Madex bro,

"... make NCT tires quiet...is HARD work!!!"

Very impressive.... double thumbs up, DC!!!

vr2turbo

Posted 18 October 2010 - 10:12 AM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 71,491 posts
QUOTE (k701 @ Oct 17 2010, 06:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
"... make NCT tires quiet...is HARD work!!!"

Very impressive.... double thumbs up, DC!!!

Auto foam or any sound proofing materials cannot make the tyres quiet leh! smile_wink.gif
Block the sound then yes........ smile_big.gif

madex

Posted 16 December 2010 - 12:03 PM

madex

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 216 posts
For all of you who read this, let me explain that NVH for Ford Focus from Philipinos is not that good to my ear although maybe it is better than some competitors. In fact, you can 'Google' it which you may found and auto-typo "Ford Focus Road Noise' ready.

I thought i am bit fussy on NVH. Yes, BMWs alway is my reference. Well, i couldn't compare that. Better still i don't compare with Merc of Lexus. But recentlty I test drove new Proton Inspira. I surprised how difference is car feel compare to it twin, Lancer. Proton may said true about the improvements have been done to the car. Better refinement, solid and compose. A friend who is BMW follower suggest it feel similar to Pug 308. Maybe partially due to smaller wheel and new Continental Comfort Contact 5 which tuned for silent anc comfort ride. Soon i climbed back to my beloved Focus, i knew that my car deliver more sporty character but that not nessessary can't do nothing to improve the NVH and slighly more comfort ride.

After all the aboves mixed feel, about a week ago, i got my beloved Focus sent to DC for 3rd time since I had done quite few sound proofing with DC without autofoam. The impact was noticeble but not obvious. This time, DC suggested to autofoam for comfort package, A & C pillar. As usual, i didn't expect much when i test drove around town as the slow speed not giving me much input other than the softer damping over speed hump. My hacthback Focus which usually feel super agile and light in steering now feel a bit compose and heavy. The car also feel better traction on the road and breaking as well. Still, being fussy on the road noise and some vibrating/humming from the oil burner engine made me uneasy if there any improvement or worse at higher speed.

On the way back home via Jln Tun Razak to south, known to be potholes here and there, obviously more solid, whichever should normally sounds 'dap dap!......das das.!' now "tub tub...dup dup!". While i was entering KL-Putrajaya highway, short turning my head to the back, putting my ear close to doors and pillars, finding if any improvement against noise, i thought i was doing 90kmh. WTF! my speedo showed 120kmh. The highway which known one of the bouncing along the ramp, now glide through with easy. As the days gone by, i started to appreciate more. The NVH kept improving. The engine humming and sorround noise noticable reduced. Last 2 days, a rare moments that i have opportunity to sat at the back of my car while my relative driving it. It was supprisingly calm.

However, i do have some issues. With those improvements, the engine humming at highway speed gave bit pressure to my ear at the back which made me wondering if the noise tranfer via roof with my flimsy ceiling. Then, I am starting to point the wind and traffic noise are slightly obvious. I don't want to conclude the results here and now becoz i have not done with DC. He should be smiling by now thinking that i will comeback to spend another bucks!... smile_angry.gif

dchong

Posted 16 December 2010 - 02:07 PM

dchong

Road Warrior

• Advertiser
  • PipPip
  • 675 posts
QUOTE (madex @ Dec 16 2010, 12:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
For all of you who read this, let me explain that NVH for Ford Focus from Philipinos is not that good to my ear although maybe it is better than some competitors. In fact, you can 'Google' it which you may found and auto-typo "Ford Focus Road Noise' ready.

I thought i am bit fussy on NVH. Yes, BMWs alway is my reference. Well, i couldn't compare that. Better still i don't compare with Merc of Lexus. But recentlty I test drove new Proton Inspira. I surprised how difference is car feel compare to it twin, Lancer. Proton may said true about the improvements have been done to the car. Better refinement, solid and compose. A friend who is BMW follower suggest it feel similar to Pug 308. Maybe partially due to smaller wheel and new Continental Comfort Contact 5 which tuned for silent anc comfort ride. Soon i climbed back to my beloved Focus, i knew that my car deliver more sporty character but that not nessessary can't do nothing to improve the NVH and slighly more comfort ride.

After all the aboves mixed feel, about a week ago, i got my beloved Focus sent to DC for 3rd time since I had done quite few sound proofing with DC without autofoam. The impact was noticeble but not obvious. This time, DC suggested to autofoam for comfort package, A & C pillar. As usual, i didn't expect much when i test drove around town as the slow speed not giving me much input other than the softer damping over speed hump. My hacthback Focus which usually feel super agile and light in steering now feel a bit compose and heavy. The car also feel better traction on the road and breaking as well. Still, being fussy on the road noise and some vibrating/humming from the oil burner engine made me uneasy if there any improvement or worse at higher speed.

On the way back home via Jln Tun Razak to south, known to be potholes here and there, obviously more solid, whichever should normally sounds 'dap dap!......das das.!' now "tub tub...dup dup!". While i was entering KL-Putrajaya highway, short turning my head to the back, putting my ear close to doors and pillars, finding if any improvement against noise, i thought i was doing 90kmh. WTF! my speedo showed 120kmh. The highway which known one of the bouncing along the ramp, now glide through with easy. As the days gone by, i started to appreciate more. The NVH kept improving. The engine humming and sorround noise noticable reduced. Last 2 days, a rare moments that i have opportunity to sat at the back of my car while my relative driving it. It was supprisingly calm.

However, i do have some issues. With those improvements, the engine humming at highway speed gave bit pressure to my ear at the back which made me wondering if the noise tranfer via roof with my flimsy ceiling. Then, I am starting to point the wind and traffic noise are slightly obvious. I don't want to conclude the results here and now becoz i have not done with DC. He should be smiling by now thinking that i will comeback to spend another bucks!... smile_angry.gif

Madex bro,

Happily waiting for you smile_tongue.gif

Cheers,

Des
KL AUTO
KL Auto Accessories Sdn. Bhd.
No: 66, Jalan Dato Haji Eusoff, Kompleks Damai
Off Jalan Ipoh, 50400 Kuala Lumpur
Tel: 603-4042 9928 / 603-4044 9928
H/P No: 017-282 3073 (Desmond Chong)
http://www.autofoam.com.my/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Autofoam/193456474019263

madex

Posted 16 December 2010 - 04:53 PM

madex

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 216 posts
Bro, DC....As soon as i got time and extra fund. Got addicted by autofoam which as far as i can see, it is the best combo for soundproofing. I should have got autofoam in my 1st visit but then you will say sound proof mats will be the completeness, will you?.... smile_tongue.gif

valuebuyer

Posted 25 June 2012 - 10:37 PM

valuebuyer

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 193 posts
Hi,
Does anyone know where i can get autofoam at Penang?
Thanks.