Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Isuzu Bighorn Value

• Please log in to reply

goofie333

Posted 22 November 2009 - 09:51 AM

goofie333

Advanced

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts
QUOTE (Tourist @ Nov 22 2009, 07:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I know KMA do sell some 3.1TD Auto at RM170K+. I test drove a brand new one, either in 1999 or 2000. Not sure when. Tires fitted were 275/70R16 whereas previous KMA came with 31x10.5x15 tires instead. ACM all fitted their pre-facelift model with 245/70R16.

KMA model came with 7 seaters (not sure what the registration said till I go back to office). ACM came with 5 seats.

I think is KMA model, but what about 5 seats on reg. card?, maybe they add the third row to make it looks like imported Bighorn? this people is trying to sell the car as Bighorn fully imported from Japan... keep on mind that not everybody knows difference btw Trooper and Bighorn, also my mechanic didn't know.
KMA model is the one assembled in Sabah?
what about price 58-60K? is it ok? I don't feel comfortable with it..
Thanks

bwsy2002

Posted 23 November 2009 - 11:43 AM

bwsy2002

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 132 posts
A friend of mine running second car company business did teach me some technics to evaluate the car. Perhaps it helps you:

i) Examine the steering wheel. Normally the second car company doesnt brave enough to change the steering to a new one as it is very complicated and involves to many components ie airbag, power steering system, collapsebale saftey devices...etc. So if the steering condition is too bad with wear n tear everywhere, it means the car might be heavily used.

ii) Safety Belt. There is a sticker at the backside of every safety belt. The useful information on the sticker is the year of which the safety belt is made. Normally it is more or less same with the manufacturing year of the car. If the car is too old as compared with the year stated on the green card (those year of made or registration on the green card could be fake or not accurate for CBU car), the second car company will normally cut that sticker away.

iii) Engine. Check for any sign of oil leak mark. However, if the car's engine is too shinny clean without any dust or dirt, the car engine could have been thoroughly washed and the oil mark can never be tracked. Not even a mechanic can detect the problem of the leakage if the engine has been washed using chemical detergent.

iv) Check turbo charger. This could be done by engaging experienced mechanic. Or you test the car yourself. If the car is still powerful, then properly the turbo is still ok.

v) Check the smoke coming out from the exhaust. White smoke is a sign of big problem as engine starts to "makan" engine oil and overhaulling could possibly be the only solution (cost a bom!!!). Black smoke is ok, just need to service the fuel pump.

vi) Check auto transmission system by test driving the car. If the gear doesnt change automatically or jerking, it show some worry that the gear box might have got some problem (the worst condition is water leaks into gear box). Drain out the ATF (auto transmission fluid) n check if it is milky (water leaks) or still in dark black/pink colur(good) Normally the gear will change after it reaches 2000 rpm. My Prado's rpm is 2000 for 80-90km/hr driving, 3000rpm for 110km/hr driving.

vii) Check if the CBU car comes with Custom Form (declaration form) and duty paid form beside green card. This is very improtant to ensure the car is legal against law as many CBU cars in Malaysia are smuggled with a little Kopi Duit (This is the advice from a car runner). In Kuching here, the second hand CBU car without Custom form could hardly be resale or transferred (unless you pay Kopi Duit)

Hope it helps.

QUOTE (goofie333 @ Nov 21 2009, 09:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
HI Tourist,
maybe you can help me, I found this car (Sabah), it looks very nice but I'm not sure with price:

Isuzu Bighorn (1999) 3.1 TD Auto new facelift CBU Japan fully imported asking 58K. I think not government car as Japan model, maybe only one owner (not yet checked registration card) mileage only 44.000 for sure already rolled back. Please give me your opinion. Urgent...Thank you very much

Ps. I just saw the registration card, and found out the car is not imported but Trooper model so that is mean is local assembled, got 7 seats but on paper only 5 seats and got Auto transmission but as I learnt from all of you Trooper doesn't come with Auto but only manual, in Malaysia. The first owner was a tyres company the second a company from Lahad Datu (I think something to see with planting), and I think there is a third owner who doesn't appear on registration card. Year made 1999 year registration 2000, but the car is in really nice condition, I would say too nice, also engine very nice and clean, also my mechanic says the car is too beautiful to be a 10 years old car. I'm just trying to figure out th history of this car...Please help me....

goofie333

Posted 23 November 2009 - 11:58 AM

goofie333

Advanced

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts
QUOTE (bwsy2002 @ Nov 23 2009, 11:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A friend of mine running second car company business did teach me some technics to evaluate the car. Perhaps it helps you:

i) Examine the steering wheel. Normally the second car company doesnt brave enough to change the steering to a new one as it is very complicated and involves to many components ie airbag, power steering system, collapsebale saftey devices...etc. So if the steering condition is too bad with wear n tear everywhere, it means the car might be heavily used.

ii) Safety Belt. There is a sticker at the backside of every safety belt. The useful information on the sticker is the year of which the safety belt is made. Normally it is more or less same with the manufacturing year of the car. If the car is too old as compared with the year stated on the green card (those year of made or registration on the green card could be fake or not accurate for CBU car), the second car company will normally cut that sticker away.

iii) Engine. Check for any sign of oil leak mark. However, if the car's engine is too shinny clean without any dust or dirt, the car engine could have been thoroughly washed and the oil mark can never be tracked. Not even a mechanic can detect the problem of the leakage if the engine has been washed using chemical detergent.

iv) Check turbo charger. This could be done by engaging experienced mechanic. Or you test the car yourself. If the car is still powerful, then properly the turbo is still ok.

v) Check the smoke coming out from the exhaust. White smoke is a sign of big problem as engine starts to "makan" engine oil and overhaulling could possibly be the only solution (cost a bom!!!). Black smoke is ok, just need to service the fuel pump.

vi) Check auto transmission system by test driving the car. If the gear doesnt change automatically or jerking, it show some worry that the gear box might have got some problem (the worst condition is water leaks into gear box). Drain out the ATF (auto transmission fluid) n check if it is milky (water leaks) or still in dark black/pink colur(good) Normally the gear will change after it reaches 2000 rpm. My Prado's rpm is 2000 for 80-90km/hr driving, 3000rpm for 110km/hr driving.

vii) Check if the CBU car comes with Custom Form (declaration form) and duty paid form beside green card. This is very improtant to ensure the car is legal against law as many CBU cars in Malaysia are smuggled with a little Kopi Duit (This is the advice from a car runner). In Kuching here, the second hand CBU car without Custom form could hardly be resale or transferred (unless you pay Kopi Duit)

Hope it helps.

Thanks bwsy2002,
but I found already that the car isn't a CBU car, but Malaysia assembled I think KMA model, now my concern is about price as I guess that this car has been put together with different pieces from different cars to make it looks like Bighorn. I just want understand if the price they are asking (60K) is ok or not

goofie333

Posted 23 November 2009 - 12:31 PM

goofie333

Advanced

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts

Tourist

Posted 23 November 2009 - 01:10 PM

Tourist

White Lightning

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,715 posts
QUOTE (goofie333 @ Nov 22 2009, 09:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think is KMA model, but what about 5 seats on reg. card?, maybe they add the third row to make it looks like imported Bighorn? this people is trying to sell the car as Bighorn fully imported from Japan... keep on mind that not everybody knows difference btw Trooper and Bighorn, also my mechanic didn't know.
KMA model is the one assembled in Sabah?
what about price 58-60K? is it ok? I don't feel comfortable with it..
Thanks

AFAIK....

Sabah KMA assembled with older headlight all came with 5 seats. Original tires are 31x10.5x15.

For KMA model, only the newer headlight (~1999) 3.1TDi AUTO came with 7 seats.

West Malaysia assembled ACM 3.1Tdi model came with 7 seats even though registration card states 5 only. Original tires fitted are always 245/70R16.

I have driven both ACM and KMA model and found the KMA has better road handling performance. I think KMA's are Irmscher Lotus tuned model or it could be the bigger tires. Not sure.
I prefers to use my head than follow the crowd. After all, it is my money and not theirs.

Tourist

Posted 23 November 2009 - 01:16 PM

Tourist

White Lightning

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,715 posts
QUOTE (bwsy2002 @ Nov 23 2009, 11:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

For petrol car, white smoke are water vapor and is a good sign. But I never seen it with diesel engine.

For makan engine oil, the color is blue. But I know for certain for some Isuzu engine like the 4JB1-T 2.8 turbo diesel engine, it is normal to have blue smoke from Day-1 brand new engine and is normal. Confused? So am I.

As for black smoke, it indicates poor fuel combustion. Could be as simple as a dirty air filter or injectors need changing.

I prefers to use my head than follow the crowd. After all, it is my money and not theirs.

goofie333

Posted 23 November 2009 - 03:17 PM

goofie333

Advanced

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts
QUOTE (goofie333 @ Nov 23 2009, 12:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

what I need to know is:
60K is a right price for Trooper 1999/2000?
Tq.

ShiftVQV6

Posted 23 November 2009 - 03:31 PM

ShiftVQV6

White Lightning

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,659 posts
QUOTE (goofie333 @ Nov 23 2009, 03:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
what I need to know is:
60K is a right price for Trooper 1999/2000?
Tq.

for me, i will pay rm60k (for the facelift version), if the condition of the car is good.

archebald3

Posted 22 April 2010 - 11:34 AM

archebald3

Advanced

• Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts
QUOTE (Tourist @ Nov 23 2009, 01:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
AFAIK....

Sabah KMA assembled with older headlight all came with 5 seats. Original tires are 31x10.5x15.

For KMA model, only the newer headlight (~1999) 3.1TDi AUTO came with 7 seats.

West Malaysia assembled ACM 3.1Tdi model came with 7 seats even though registration card states 5 only. Original tires fitted are always 245/70R16.

I have driven both ACM and KMA model and found the KMA has better road handling performance. I think KMA's are Irmscher Lotus tuned model or it could be the bigger tires. Not sure.

in contrary to this, i find acm to have a better grip on the road. the kma is quite hard to maneuver especially on sharp curves.
tHe gReat arcHebALd!
watch me here: How To Replace a Muffler