Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Please Run-in Your New Car Before Speeding/dragging. Or Else...

• Please log in to reply

lwh813

Posted 01 April 2009 - 12:24 AM

lwh813

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 238 posts
Please run-in your new car before speeding 150+km/h or performing drag... Or else..

TO all new car owners, please ensure your car's run-in before attempting the TOP SPEED... When I took delivery of my Honda Civic FD2, the salesman said "Run-in" for the 1st 2000km. MAKE SURE RPM below 3500rpm. Reason? All I know is "Fuel consumption, lower in the long run" AND engine not strained.

Else, I'll post your car no. plate here... To get the ball rolling, here's the 1st one:

Make/model.....No.plate.....Colour.....Date/time/location
1) Toyota Vios J: WSG 3756, Black, 24 March 2009, 4.20 to 4.45pm.
- KLIA all the way to NKVE Damansara toll.

The owner's insane, tailgating my Telstar @ 150km/h. Guess what? The car's barely "3 WEEKS OLD". Ie. Not running in... Interesting note, 3 WEEKS OLD Vios J 1.5 manual vs 10 YEARS OLD Telstar 2.0i Auto. I "WON" the "FRIENDLY RACE". Both at toll booth (KLIA and Damansara), Managed to keep a distance 3/4 of the journey from KLIA to Damansara Toll. Telstar's acceleration and high end speed prevails though on paper very close in acceleration. 0-100km/h 10.8secs (Vios manual) vs 11.2 secs (Telstar). Topspeed (claimed) 185km/h vs 200km/h. Highest I went is 175km/h. At that speed, 3rd gear @ 5300rpm (roaring) and 4th gear @ 4200rpm (cruising).

Note that, I always ended up the loser, never won "race" before since 2002 (coz, my "opponent" always ended up either overtook from the left or worse, emergency lane OR ZIG-ZAG their way (eg, from MOST RIGHT LANE, to MOST LEFT LANE - often make it right before the "Divider". It was only until today, THIS CAR... SORRY, got carried away...

2)...

And the lists will go on and on...

Money is the root of evil unless used for a good cause. - the late Henry Ford

jepakazoid

Posted 14 April 2009 - 06:16 PM

jepakazoid

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 365 posts

Why do race with him? Do you think that Malaysian roads are safe enough at high speed? I seriously hate tailgaters. Once I put a "baby on board" sticker purposely on my wife's car but still people are tailgating me. Why the hell? What is the rush?

BTW that VIOS driver is probably delivering the car to the owner? Sometimes these drivers they push the engine like there is no tomorrow.

jayraptor

Posted 14 April 2009 - 06:57 PM

jayraptor

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts
QUOTE (lwh813 @ Apr 1 2009, 12:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Please run-in your new car before speeding 150+km/h or performing drag... Or else..

TO all new car owners, please ensure your car's run-in before attempting the TOP SPEED... When I took delivery of my Honda Civic FD2, the salesman said "Run-in" for the 1st 2000km. MAKE SURE RPM below 3500rpm. Reason? All I know is "Fuel consumption, lower in the long run" AND engine not strained.

Else, I'll post your car no. plate here... To get the ball rolling, here's the 1st one:

The owner's insane, tailgating my Telstar @ 150km/h. Guess what? The car's barely "3 WEEKS OLD". Ie. Not running in... Interesting note, 3 WEEKS OLD Vios J 1.5 manual vs 10 YEARS OLD Telstar 2.0i Auto. I "WON" the "FRIENDLY RACE". Both at toll booth (KLIA and Damansara), Managed to keep a distance 3/4 of the journey from KLIA to Damansara Toll. Telstar's acceleration and high end speed prevails though on paper very close in acceleration. 0-100km/h 10.8secs (Vios manual) vs 11.2 secs (Telstar). Topspeed (claimed) 185km/h vs 200km/h. Highest I went is 175km/h. At that speed, 3rd gear @ 5300rpm (roaring) and 4th gear @ 4200rpm (cruising).

Note that, I always ended up the loser, never won "race" before since 2002 (coz, my "opponent" always ended up either overtook from the left or worse, emergency lane OR ZIG-ZAG their way (eg, from MOST RIGHT LANE, to MOST LEFT LANE - often make it right before the "Divider". It was only until today, THIS CAR... SORRY, got carried away...

2)...

Correction on VIOS J 0-100km/h is not 10.8s but 12.xx close to 13s. Car with drag co-efficient much higher than 0.32 and 1.5L engine can't get 10.8s unless it's turbocharged and tuned up.

From your description, your Telstar should be the V6 body type (drag co-efficient 0.32cd). Yes no problem in beating Vios, City and several more even if it's an inline 4, DOHC 16V I20 engine unless it's in bad condition. 1 thing for sure is that ur car could beat many in hard corner.

Anyway, don't race on public street next time, dangerous to many. Congrats on winning d race. Telstar with KF-ZE 1995cc V6 engine variant could get 10s for 0-100km/h thanks to lightweight at 1235kg and slippery body but sacrifice much fuel

V406198

Posted 15 April 2009 - 02:18 PM

V406198

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,151 posts
QUOTE (jepakazoid @ Apr 14 2009, 06:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why do race with him? Do you think that Malaysian roads are safe enough at high speed? I seriously hate tailgaters. Once I put a "baby on board" sticker purposely on my wife's car but still people are tailgating me. Why the hell? What is the rush?

BTW that VIOS driver is probably delivering the car to the owner? Sometimes these drivers they push the engine like there is no tomorrow.

Me too, HATE those who like tailgated font car even the front traffic are blocking...i normally will "give" them back the same that their did to me as i'm not a "good" driver either.. but i never tailgate front car unless the driver hog the fast lane without reason....

2004 S60R. AT. Tit Grey. Nordkap. 18" Pegs. TME SportCat Exhaust DP & Cat Back System. TME Lower Spring. Garrett GT3071R. RC 750cc Injectors. FMIC. K&N Filter. Pegasus 3" CAI. IPD HD TCV. IPD HD Ignition Coil, IPD 25mm Front Sway Bar. UR Custom 23mm Rear Sway Bar. UR Front & Rear Strut Bars. Stainless Steel Brake Hoses. Audi TT DV, Saab 900 ATF Cooler. TkiMotorSportRacing & IPD HD Link Rod. H&R 5mm Front Wheel Spacer. Endless Sport 0-400 Front Brake Pad. ScangaugeII Diagnostic Gauge. Stages 2 Snow Performance methanol Injection.

lwh813

Posted 19 April 2009 - 08:49 PM

lwh813

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 238 posts
QUOTE (V406198 @ Apr 15 2009, 02:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Me too, HATE those who like tailgated font car even the front traffic are blocking...i normally will "give" them back the same that their did to me as i'm not a "good" driver either.. but i never tailgate front car unless the driver hog the fast lane without reason....

I DIDN'T TAILGATE HIM... in fact I don't know the REAL TAILGATING until I witnessed it myself few months ago... A MERCEDES ML320 tailgated the car beside me... 5 FEET AWAY ONLY. I shudder when I think "WHAT IF" the car in front Hard Brake...
Rather, HE TAILGATED ME... For a GOOD 10KM... When I let him overtake, I MAKE SURE I KEPT 2 CAR LENGTH from HIM. I cannot STAND HIM TAILGATING and LET HIM PASS. This JOKER then, SLOWED DOWN from 160km/h to 100km/h IN FRONT OF ME...

I GOT PISSED than only RETALIATED with a "RACE". My 1999 TELSTAR Ghia is NOT A V6 AND only has 85kw (116hp) and 170Nm Torque STOCK. You know what? EVEN A Honda Civic 1.8iVTEC has more POWER and TORQUE than my Car.

Vios 1.5 MANUAL is QUOTED Below 11 seconds by couple of back recent issue of "AUTOCAR ASEAN". Under: "VIOS TRD". Vios 1.5 AUTO is the ONE 12-13 secs... YES, MAN and AUTO Lots of Difference.

Eg. Iswara 1.5 MANUAL and AUTO. 0-100km/h one is 10.5secs (SOURCE: Highway Malaysia Oct 1992 issue), and the other 3 speed auto is 13+ secs (my STOPWATCH - previous car).

OH, In case you are wondering why I didn't win races "ON HIGHWAY"... I DON"T PRACTICE ZIG-ZAGGING, Don't drive on EMERGENCY Lane. Also don't know the TRICK from "MOST RIGHT LANE" to MOST LEFT LANE cut in "JUST BEFORE THE JUNCTION DIVIDER". I always wonder how they do it... These are my Weakness which other driver exploits...

Money is the root of evil unless used for a good cause. - the late Henry Ford

SplitFire

Posted 19 May 2009 - 06:14 PM

SplitFire

Heart Like a Wheel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,879 posts
QUOTE (lwh813 @ Apr 19 2009, 08:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I DIDN'T TAILGATE HIM... in fact I don't know the REAL TAILGATING until I witnessed it myself few months ago... A MERCEDES ML320 tailgated the car beside me... 5 FEET AWAY ONLY. I shudder when I think "WHAT IF" the car in front Hard Brake...
Rather, HE TAILGATED ME... For a GOOD 10KM... When I let him overtake, I MAKE SURE I KEPT 2 CAR LENGTH from HIM. I cannot STAND HIM TAILGATING and LET HIM PASS. This JOKER then, SLOWED DOWN from 160km/h to 100km/h IN FRONT OF ME...

I GOT PISSED than only RETALIATED with a "RACE". My 1999 TELSTAR Ghia is NOT A V6 AND only has 85kw (116hp) and 170Nm Torque STOCK. You know what? EVEN A Honda Civic 1.8iVTEC has more POWER and TORQUE than my Car.

Vios 1.5 MANUAL is QUOTED Below 11 seconds by couple of back recent issue of "AUTOCAR ASEAN". Under: "VIOS TRD". Vios 1.5 AUTO is the ONE 12-13 secs... YES, MAN and AUTO Lots of Difference.

Eg. Iswara 1.5 MANUAL and AUTO. 0-100km/h one is 10.5secs (SOURCE: Highway Malaysia Oct 1992 issue), and the other 3 speed auto is 13+ secs (my STOPWATCH - previous car).

OH, In case you are wondering why I didn't win races "ON HIGHWAY"... I DON"T PRACTICE ZIG-ZAGGING, Don't drive on EMERGENCY Lane. Also don't know the TRICK from "MOST RIGHT LANE" to MOST LEFT LANE cut in "JUST BEFORE THE JUNCTION DIVIDER". I always wonder how they do it... These are my Weakness which other driver exploits...

Who will tailgate another car at a distance of 5 feet? 5 feet is not tailgating. Tailgating should be closer than 3 feet. smile_evil.gif
Ram me if you can!

SplitFire

vr2turbo

Posted 19 May 2009 - 09:10 PM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 71,482 posts
QUOTE (SplitFire @ May 19 2009, 06:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Who will tailgate another car at a distance of 5 feet? 5 feet is not tailgating. Tailgating should be closer than 3 feet. smile_evil.gif

I was once in K.K. on work assignment. This staff of my distributor there took me out for dinner and the way he drives is real tailgater. I think the bumpers were almost kissing already. Just wonder what will happen if the front car decides to tap on the brakes.... smile_shock.gif

vr2turbo

Posted 19 May 2009 - 09:15 PM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 71,482 posts
QUOTE (lwh813 @ Apr 1 2009, 12:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

2)...

New Toyota Vios want to run in first. No need. Already done by the Toyota Car Transport Drivers.....
I work in Shah Alam and Toyota has a few factories around that area. One is actually very near my factory and I can see them almost everyday, driving the cars from one factory to another. If you think they are doing 80km/h, bro., think again.
Got a few times these jokers want to test their Vios against my VR4....ha! ha!

SplitFire

Posted 20 May 2009 - 01:54 PM

SplitFire

Heart Like a Wheel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,879 posts
QUOTE (vr2turbo @ May 19 2009, 09:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
New Toyota Vios want to run in first. No need. Already done by the Toyota Car Transport Drivers.....
I work in Shah Alam and Toyota has a few factories around that area. One is actually very near my factory and I can see them almost everyday, driving the cars from one factory to another. If you think they are doing 80km/h, bro., think again.
Got a few times these jokers want to test their Vios against my VR4....ha! ha!

Yup...these joker will run around without the ODO connected. So not shown on the mileage. However, luxury car like Audi, BMW, Mercedes Benz all are pre-run in ler. You can rev all you can once out from the showroom.
Ram me if you can!

SplitFire

fkmfkm

Posted 20 May 2009 - 01:58 PM

fkmfkm

White Lightning

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,021 posts
Need to run new engine hard...if not the tiger will become pussy cat....