Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Buying S40, Need Advice

• Please log in to reply

sengthee

Posted 02 August 2009 - 11:27 PM

sengthee

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,609 posts
Guys,

I am about to trade in my S40, YOM 2005, registered 28/12/05, black currant, mileage 72k, Full service at FA. Pristine condition with 4 Michelin PP2 tyres which are less than 1 year old. I also happen to have 2 additional sport rims.

It's a company car, so the trade in price does not bother me but trading in provides me with the convenience of driving this car to collect my new ride. I have been offered 85k as trade in. So if anyone is interested, please act fast as I will be getting my new ride in 1-2 weeks time. To make it worth my trouble, the offer price has to be a few k's above 85.

cheers. smile_thumbup.gif

Saint'ee

Money can't buy everything!

No money, can't buy ANYTHING!

jOnAs

Posted 03 August 2009 - 02:41 PM

jOnAs

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 757 posts
QUOTE (sengthee @ Aug 2 2009, 11:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Guys,

I am about to trade in my S40, YOM 2005, registered 28/12/05, black currant, mileage 72k, Full service at FA. Pristine condition with 4 Michelin PP2 tyres which are less than 1 year old. I also happen to have 2 additional sport rims.

It's a company car, so the trade in price does not bother me but trading in provides me with the convenience of driving this car to collect my new ride. I have been offered 85k as trade in. So if anyone is interested, please act fast as I will be getting my new ride in 1-2 weeks time. To make it worth my trouble, the offer price has to be a few k's above 85.

cheers. smile_thumbup.gif

Few k's above 85k for a car on the road for 3 years 8 months....very very good buy..even if need to spend few k's more to refurbish or servicing also worth buying smile_thumbup.gif
J.Y

hhhlow14

Posted 05 August 2009 - 12:22 AM

hhhlow14

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 787 posts
Hi Sengthee aka Simon Templer "The Saint",

Is the car driven by many and trashed kaw-kaw already? that's why no
staff member wants to buy it as normally staff will get 1st priority to purchase and they know
the history, good or bad. BTW, can you bring the car to SM Sg. Besi this Fri or Sat afternoon for viewing
as some of us may be free to test-drive? What is the plate #? Is it auspicious?

Jonas and others, you coming?

sengthee

Posted 05 August 2009 - 08:22 PM

sengthee

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,609 posts
QUOTE (hhhlow14 @ Aug 5 2009, 12:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Sengthee aka Simon Templer "The Saint",

Is the car driven by many and trashed kaw-kaw already? that's why no
staff member wants to buy it as normally staff will get 1st priority to purchase and they know
the history, good or bad. BTW, can you bring the car to SM Sg. Besi this Fri or Sat afternoon for viewing
as some of us may be free to test-drive? What is the plate #? Is it auspicious?

Jonas and others, you coming?

Hi, the car is driven by me all the time since new. I would rank it as tip-top. No staff has indicated their interests as yet. But we are a small company, we probably have less than a handful who might be able to afford a volvo. So, I personally do not foresee a staff taking up the option.

I am sorry but I am not able to bring the car to SM sungai besi this friday or saturday. If you are interested to view, it will be in my office at Bandar Baru Bangi or PJ somewhere near Damansara Jaya, where I stay. It's Selangor plate, 7922. You can check the full service history of the car at federal auto or maybe even SM, if they are hooked up to the same database.

Briefly, the car has no fault mechanically, no rattling noise, perfect bodywork with some minor scratches (which does not even need paint touch-ups), polished twice yearly, comes with V-Kool, as new interior (since I am the only passenger most of the time). The carpet and mats are new as I have had the 3-M mat since new. So, if you are looking for a used S40, you would not want to miss this unit.

Why am I doing this? Well, it's a pity if a well cared car goes to the used car dealer. I hope that my efforts in taking care of this baby directly benefits the subsequent owner.

Cheers. smile_thumbup.gif

Saint'ee

hhhlow14

Posted 06 August 2009 - 12:40 AM

hhhlow14

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 787 posts
Hi Sengthee,

Have you replaced the brake pads, battery and timimg belt?
What about the condition of gear-box?
Why I asked is because as a salaried worker, these replacement costs a bomb.
Normally new Volvos are bought by corporate and high networth individuals whom will
absorb the sharp depreciation costs.
BTW, I travelled to MINT Bangi almost monthly for instrument calibration and working in Sg. way.
We could meet in Shell/ Giant Kelana Jaya sometime next week.Will it be too late then since your new ride
is on the way? How to reach you incase I'm going to Bangi these few days. My hp - 016 3788 313

jOnAs

Posted 06 August 2009 - 02:34 AM

jOnAs

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 757 posts
QUOTE (hhhlow14 @ Aug 6 2009, 12:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Sengthee,

Normally new Volvos are bought by corporate and high networth individuals whom will
BTW, I travelled to MINT Bangi almost monthly for instrument calibration and working in Sg. way.
We could meet in Shell/ Giant Kelana Jaya sometime next week.Will it be too late then since your new ride
is on the way? How to reach you incase I'm going to Bangi these few days. My hp - 016 3788 313

Hi Low,

I think you can give it a try to view the car..70k km mileage is quite good. If i have not bought it by now then i'd definately consider his..

And by the way Low, if u really purchase this car and the gearbox is still good, i urge you to change the ATF immediately although volvo mention that no ATF change is required but i have read cases and advices by sifus about consequences of not changing the ATF..my current volvo mechanic also recomended ATF change at 40k or max 60k km interval.

I agree with sengthee that not many employees could afford volvo therefore they might not be interested even if the price is reasonable. And he's right about not wanting the car to fall into hands of car dealer where new owner needs to pay higher price for it. Imagine if sengthee sold it to car dealer at 85k and later u bought it from the dealer at say 95k, it'll be much better to settle at a win-win price for both rite..not many got the chance to meet direct owner which will def offer you a better price...

I called FA to check on the service record b4 buying and they are very helpful, just provide the reg no. They'll provide you full service details through the phone but u need to write it down coz they wont provide u in written. I remember calling to enquire abt 1 particular unit and the officer told me bumper and headlamp have been changed coz kena langgar and when i asked abt any pending problem or problem that has been diagnosed but owner chooses to ignore it and she told me yes, absorber knocking sound..i immediately turned down the offer...of course u pandai pandai say that you wanna service at their place after buying it therefore u need the service record to understand the car better.

Anyway, this is just my opinion and it's up to yr judgement..dont blame me if anything goes wrong k..hehe..read more forums and threads then you'll understand more abt volvo..i spent weeks reading threads to learn more abt volvo so that my wife's wallet wont kena burn by choosing volvo as her ride...And btw, thanks for inviting but i'm afraid i'm not able to make it..do update abt yr meet up here if u dont mind..gd luck
J.Y

sengthee

Posted 06 August 2009 - 11:04 AM

sengthee

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,609 posts
QUOTE (hhhlow14 @ Aug 6 2009, 12:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Sengthee,

Hi, I have replaced the brake pads during my last service at 60k km, in December 2008. During the same service, I have also replaced the anti-roll bar link rod under warranty. I have also replaced the battery last August. As for timing belt, no. It's not due yet I believe. I believe the GB is in fine condition as I have not detected anything abnormal with the GB. In fact, I tried calling you but could not get thru your mobile.

I expect my new ride to be ready sometime next week. I have got the reg. no and the loan is being processed. But I will be travelling next week and return only on Friday, so maybe I will collect my car next Saturday at the earliest.

Let's see how it goes. Cheers. smile_thumbup.gif

Saint'ee

hhhlow14

Posted 06 August 2009 - 09:17 PM

hhhlow14

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 787 posts
[quote name='sengthee' date='Aug 6 2009, 11:04 AM' post='1440758']
Hi, I have replaced the brake pads during my last service at 60k km, in December 2008. During the same service, I have also replaced the anti-roll bar link rod under warranty. I have also replaced the battery last August. As for timing belt, no. It's not due yet I believe. I believe the GB is in fine condition as I have not detected anything abnormal with the GB. In fact, I tried calling you but could not get thru your mobile.

I expect my new ride to be ready sometime next week. I have got the reg. no and the loan is being processed. But I will be travelling next week and return only on Friday, so maybe I will collect my car next Saturday at the earliest.

Jonas,

Tks. for ur inputs. But you bought your 05 model below rm90k which is a very good buy.
I also want value for money with my restricted budget........

Sengthee,

My friend could be tied-up on Sun, what about Sat afternoon?
Would you be able to come to the agreed Shell station?
BTW, you haven't give me a missed call. Kindly . advise.Tks.

jOnAs

Posted 07 August 2009 - 04:52 PM

jOnAs

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 757 posts
[quote name='hhhlow14' date='Aug 6 2009, 09:17 PM' post='1441218']
[quote name='sengthee' date='Aug 6 2009, 11:04 AM' post='1440758']

Jonas,

Tks. for ur inputs. But you bought your 05 model below rm90k which is a very good buy.
I also want value for money with my restricted budget........

Low,

Mine YOM is actually 2004 but reg july 2005. Though YOM is 2004 but considering that it has been on the road for only 4 years i still think it's ok although the depreciation would be calculated based on yr 2004. But with that kinda price and main parts replaced, i couldnt complain much..gd luck
J.Y

hhhlow14

Posted 11 August 2009 - 12:30 PM

hhhlow14

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 787 posts
Jonas,

Someone leapfrogged infront of me and booked The saint's car by a whisker!
Went to Keong Heng and saw a silver Merc 02 C200k, local model in immaculate showroom condition
asking for RM118k, which is above my rm90k budget...... Need to save till next yr......