Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Laptop Detector

• Please log in to reply

Dmax7

Posted 20 March 2009 - 11:31 AM

Dmax7

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 270 posts
It is so common to hear stories of laptops being stolen from cars. How they did it?

Copy and paste the email just received:-

Apparently there is a booming business in Asia that starts with the purchase of a small device that can detect the presence of a laptop.

Thieves use these devices to determine laptops left in cars or any other unsupervised areas and quickly grab the laptops. Obviously, the monetary value of the device is of concern, but much more important is the proprietary data on the laptops.

This is a good reminder for all of us anywhere in the world, but especially important to those travelling to the Asia region. Make sure your laptop is with you at all times. I know this is difficult when we go to lunch or dinner immediately after work, but never leave the laptops in a car; even locked cars are being broken into if the presence of a laptop is detected.

FYI, in Malaysia , lots of laptops are being stolen from time to time. Too bad....be carefull...

Laptop detector does really exist.
For those who have never heard of it,
here are the pictures of the detector:

http://images.google...rl=...l=en&sa=N

Even the wifi, bluetooth or the entire notebook is completely off,
it can still be detected via radio frequency,
so never leave your laptop, pda, handphone ...
in the car coz PEOPLE KNOW.

These devices are not expensive,
it costs less than RM50 for the thieves to start the "business

ntc2000

Posted 20 March 2009 - 05:09 PM

ntc2000

Knight Rider

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,286 posts
yes sir...

i know this long time ago... they detect through laptop bios battery....

thank for ur info..

ASIMO

Posted 26 March 2009 - 09:04 PM

ASIMO

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 634 posts

can detect handphone too ?

but i heard someone was telling me it doesn't exist !

ASIMO :- Advanced Step in Innovative MObility

ntc2000

Posted 27 March 2009 - 09:51 AM

ntc2000

Knight Rider

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,286 posts
QUOTE (ASIMO @ Mar 26 2009, 09:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
can detect handphone too ?

but i heard someone was telling me it doesn't exist !

u try put ur laptop at boot area and park ur car at damansara up town and see whether exists or not...

hihi... I saw that device in real before.... lmao

azbro

Posted 29 March 2009 - 11:32 AM

azbro

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,861 posts
Ppl. say it is the laptop detector is urban myth..but I think it exist...

thebugbud

Posted 29 March 2009 - 12:02 PM

thebugbud

Driver

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts
fundamentally, the laptop is still running and emitting radio wave when it's suspended or hibernate.

the radio wave come from the internal timer/clock.

even so, the radio wave is weak as compare to suspended mode. In suspension mode, the notebook is still running but very slowly by keeping the state in memory. To keep the memory, especially, ram. The memory need to refresh at a certain rate. That will generate higher radio wave footprint.

By all means, if you intend to keep the notebook in the car. You may reduce the risk by proper shutdown the notebook, take out the battery and keep the notebook in the trunk. Technically speaking, the trunk is metal and that helps to reduce the radio wave signature further.

Still, this is not full proof and to take your notebook with you will still be the best option. :-)

kiddo

Posted 29 March 2009 - 09:00 PM

kiddo

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts
QUOTE (ntc2000 @ Mar 20 2009, 05:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
yes sir...

i know this long time ago... they detect through laptop bios battery....

thank for ur info..

you mean if my laptop have no bios then it'll not be detectable ? i think all this is just a myth. i sometimes leave my laptop in the boot of my car.

- kiddo

SplitFire

Posted 30 March 2009 - 11:32 PM

SplitFire

Heart Like a Wheel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,878 posts
QUOTE (kiddo @ Mar 29 2009, 09:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
you mean if my laptop have no bios then it'll not be detectable ? i think all this is just a myth. i sometimes leave my laptop in the boot of my car.

Nope. Its real. Talk to any security officer in shopping complex and they'll tell you.

JB Sutera Mall security department caught one of this thief few months back. I went to backup their CCTV footage.

Local thieve are not using RF scanner. They uses a RF listen in device like a MP3 player that can be pre-tune to the right frequency of what laptop bios is omitting. And it can correctly detect which brand of laptop it is. The device will give a weezing sound omit via ear phone.

Let say today target is Sony Vaio. They get an actual Sony Vaio and uses that detecting device to tune in front of the laptop till it detect the frequency and omit weezing sound. Then off they go for fishing in the car park. Each manufacturer has different range of bios frequency. Or I should say dfferent bios manufacturer, like Amibios, Pheonix..... .

So whenever you see someone wearing sort of MP3 player or Bluetooth Earpiece loitering around carpark, you might want to give this fella extra attention.

Ram me if you can!

SplitFire

nozzy

Posted 31 March 2009 - 05:05 PM

nozzy

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,654 posts
The one I heard fr my fren that has it was a device that can detect the bios using LEDs, the stonger the LEDs light up(few LEDs arranged in red till yellow) the stronger the possibility presence of a laptop.

kiddo

Posted 31 March 2009 - 09:42 PM

kiddo

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts
QUOTE (SplitFire @ Mar 30 2009, 11:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nope. Its real. Talk to any security officer in shopping complex and they'll tell you.

JB Sutera Mall security department caught one of this thief few months back. I went to backup their CCTV footage.

Local thieve are not using RF scanner. They uses a RF listen in device like a MP3 player that can be pre-tune to the right frequency of what laptop bios is omitting. And it can correctly detect which brand of laptop it is. The device will give a weezing sound omit via ear phone.

if there's no bios in my laptop, then it's safe ? I don't believe mine have. smile_thumbup.gif

- kiddo