Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

New Proton Exora Reviewed

• Please log in to reply

ntc2000

Posted 14 February 2012 - 10:36 AM

ntc2000

Knight Rider

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,286 posts
QUOTE (hhc8 @ Feb 14 2012, 10:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Got my Bold yesterday and notice the fan turning even though the engine if shut but when I turn on the turn the fan stops. When I pull out the key, it starts again. Called PE Mutiara and the SA said it was normal.

is common bro.... for cooling purposes.

jonlsl

Posted 14 February 2012 - 11:04 AM

jonlsl

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts
Can somebody enlighten me as to what the real purpose of keeping the fans on after the engine is off?

The fan being on will only cool the fluid in the radiator. The water pump is not working so it won't circulate the fluid. If the coolant is boiling and expanding into the expansion tank I understand but any car in good working order will not boil the coolant.

Then is it possible that through convection currents that the cooler radiator fluid move by itself in the system until the thermostat fully closes which is about 70deg? Is there enough temp difference for that to happen between the radiator fluid and the engine and is there enough convection force for the coolant to move through all the hoses and galleries? If that is the case then it would be reasonable to assume that it would be good to have the fans on especially the turbo coolant return hose goes directly into the radiator top cover.

Any engineering sifu want to confirm this theory?

ntc2000

Posted 15 February 2012 - 03:46 PM

ntc2000

Knight Rider

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,286 posts
QUOTE (jonlsl @ Feb 14 2012, 11:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Can somebody enlighten me as to what the real purpose of keeping the fans on after the engine is off?

The fan being on will only cool the fluid in the radiator. The water pump is not working so it won't circulate the fluid. If the coolant is boiling and expanding into the expansion tank I understand but any car in good working order will not boil the coolant.

Then is it possible that through convection currents that the cooler radiator fluid move by itself in the system until the thermostat fully closes which is about 70deg? Is there enough temp difference for that to happen between the radiator fluid and the engine and is there enough convection force for the coolant to move through all the hoses and galleries? If that is the case then it would be reasonable to assume that it would be good to have the fans on especially the turbo coolant return hose goes directly into the radiator top cover.

hihi, i am not engineering based. 059.gif

rallychamp

Posted 16 February 2012 - 12:28 AM

rallychamp

hands on habbit

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,669 posts
QUOTE (jonlsl @ Feb 14 2012, 11:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

to prevent head wraping and coolant expansion shortly after engine stopping....

this is because of the nature of heat...where the heat potential energy still active even after engine is off..(especially with iron block which act as big heat container).....so the temp. still climbing after engine off...to avoid head wraping and radiator burst/cap leaking/pipe bloating this is the way the ecu counter....especially the siemens vdo ecu was intelligent type...it acts depend on continous feedback from all of the working sensor unlike old gen mitsubishi engine work on open loop ecu....only act based on sensor at first but not from the after that.....

just think it as an intelligent turbo timer...

*crazy drifter|| http://img225.images...gilalahlagi.jpg
*Drift King is Back!!|| http://img580.images...ahdkterbaik.jpg
(NFS Underground)

jonlsl

Posted 16 February 2012 - 11:38 AM

jonlsl

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts
QUOTE (rallychamp @ Feb 16 2012, 12:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
to prevent head wraping and coolant expansion shortly after engine stopping....

this is because of the nature of heat...where the heat potential energy still active even after engine is off..(especially with iron block which act as big heat container).....so the temp. still climbing after engine off...to avoid head wraping and radiator burst/cap leaking/pipe bloating this is the way the ecu counter....especially the siemens vdo ecu was intelligent type...it acts depend on continous feedback from all of the working sensor unlike old gen mitsubishi engine work on open loop ecu....only act based on sensor at first but not from the after that.....

just think it as an intelligent turbo timer...

So what you are saying is that the water in the head and the block does travel by itself to the radiator to be cooled even the water pump not working? That is what I want confirmed, as i know that heat soak can happen, not only engine block and head as we now have the heat from the turbo as its very hot there as well.

Logically the fluid in the head and block turbo should be hotter then the radiator but what I want confirmed is that the fluid can move "by itself" to the radiator until the thermostat shuts.

tepets

Posted 16 February 2012 - 12:30 PM

tepets

1st Gear

• Members
  • 1 posts
QUOTE (jonlsl @ Feb 16 2012, 11:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So what you are saying is that the water in the head and the block does travel by itself to the radiator to be cooled even the water pump not working? That is what I want confirmed, as i know that heat soak can happen, not only engine block and head as we now have the heat from the turbo as its very hot there as well.

Logically the fluid in the head and block turbo should be hotter then the radiator but what I want confirmed is that the fluid can move "by itself" to the radiator until the thermostat shuts.

http://funtastickode...us-engineering/

http://funtastickode...ssue_43_web.pdf

ckwg

Posted 16 February 2012 - 01:43 PM

ckwg

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 213 posts
QUOTE (tepets @ Feb 16 2012, 12:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks Tepets for the document! Very informative (though I only understand 50% of what it says smile.gif).

"...An
electrical pump which is actuated
on key-off to provide coolant to the
turbocharger bearing housing after
engine shutdown. This pump also
circulates coolant around the rest of
the coolant circuit to prevent boiling,
an important feature in the high
ambient temperature of Malaysia
and Proton’s export markets."

This means we don't need any turbo timer right?

jonlsl

Posted 16 February 2012 - 02:33 PM

jonlsl

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts
QUOTE (tepets @ Feb 16 2012, 12:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ah, finally the answer from the horse mouth. Great that they put the electirc water pump in. Save us to install a turbo timer and waste fuel idleing the car down. have to go check out where did they put the electric water pump.

Great find regarding the article. Thanks. smile_thumbup.gif

ntc2000

Posted 16 February 2012 - 11:00 PM

ntc2000

Knight Rider

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,286 posts
QUOTE (jonlsl @ Feb 16 2012, 02:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ah, finally the answer from the horse mouth. Great that they put the electirc water pump in. Save us to install a turbo timer and waste fuel idleing the car down. have to go check out where did they put the electric water pump.

Great find regarding the article. Thanks. smile_thumbup.gif

yup, yday also just read that CFE article. very informative. smile_thumbup.gif smile_thumbup.gif

thiaga

Posted 02 March 2012 - 08:58 AM

thiaga

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 419 posts
Exora Bold Premium - i am not happy with the accessories package costing RM4,310 is too expensive and ridiculous.

I hope the CEO of proton reads this or someone forward these comments to Proton management. I think this should be optional to customers and make the customer happy rather than frustrate them. Pls proton dont burden the customers with overrated stuffs coz we never know what we will be going thro with the turbo charged system.

coil mat
safety kit
boot organizer (useless)
number plate holder
tint film - too light so need to re-tint anyway
door visor
mutipurpose container (plastic cup!)
navigator - can buy for RM 399 for garmin brand from superbuy

As for discount, most outlet says none for bold 2012 but got 1 frm pj giving rm 1k for white color and another frm kl giving frm his comm rm 1.5 k for 2012 models.

rgds