Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Toyota Altis 1.6 Vs New Honda City

• Please log in to reply

honeylee

Posted 20 February 2009 - 02:46 PM

honeylee

5th Gear

• Members
  • 5 posts
We are planning to buy another car. Was thinking of buying City, but was told Altis got promo now. So all in (including interest), Altis only cost RM12k more than City. Is Altis worth buying? We are not familiar with cars. tx

alldisc

Posted 20 February 2009 - 03:42 PM

alldisc

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,705 posts
hi there. allow me to share my opinion. please be advised that i may be a little bias to toyota.

first of all, both cars are new and launched in 2008. altis maybe 6 months older but they are both relatively new in market. replacement will be long time away. so, both are equally a good buy.

2ndly in terms of pricing altis is 12K more in 1.6E spec, compare to City 1.5E at 90K

3rd - in terms of horsepower the altis 1.6 loses out to city's sophisticated long stroke i vtec engine with 109PS vs 120PS (city). they produce similar torque output 145Nm but Corolla achieved it at 4,400rpm while City at 4,800rpm.

4. city uses 16" wheels (E spec), while Altis 1.6E 15" but with fat and wider tyres for comfortable ride and more tyre contact with the road.

5. both cars are equally advanced with EFI, 16V and variable valve timing (VVTi vs i-VTEC), both utilise timing chain drive

6. both using sophisticed high tech automatic transmission with the city having extra gear ratio which is useful on high motorway speed. otherwise, for city driving it will only use the top 4 gears - same like altis. but with a super low overdrive ratio (0.700) the altis does enjoy good fuel economy too.

7. twin airbags, ABS and EBD are all standard but corolla lacks stability contorl (VSC) and traction control. it is because it is the lowest spec in corolla line-up. if i am not mistaken, the city do not have stability control either.

8. in terms of luxury, both cars have electric everything. pwr windows, pwr mirrors, power door locks as well as EPS (electric power steering) which make do without hydraulic pumps.

9. however the extra money u spend will get you a bigger bodyshell.

altis is longer than the city at 4540mm vs 4395mm

altis has a longer wheelbase with 2600mm vs 2550mm for city

city is 5mm taller than altis's 1465mm body height

but altis is about 6cm wider than the city at 1760mm, vs 1695mm. this makes the cabin wider and 3 adults can sit more comfortably against the city

10. altis has purely flat rear floor for comfort. city rear floor is not flat in the centre, incresed about 2.5cm

in the end, the choice will come back to you. i will not buy the city because it is somehow heavier at 1,150kg which will affect fuel consumption and performance. the other thing is i do not favour the red illumination of the instrument meters. the glares make my eyes feel tired at a fast rate. maybe because i am not that young anymore.

however, i may buy the city for some other reasons like electric fuel release, funky rear end look, nice to feel and look steering wheel plus paddle shifter.

otherwise, the sensible choices will be corolla altis. because why? the cheapest civic 1.8 needs another 10K.

honeylee

Posted 20 February 2009 - 03:51 PM

honeylee

5th Gear

• Members
  • 5 posts
alldisc,

thanks a lot for ur detailed comparison. i dun know much about cars, so cannot understand some of it smile_tongue.gif

i guess to us the main thing will be fuel efficiency and comfortable. so i understand from ur analysis, Altis will be the better choice (let me know if i got u wrong).

thanks a lot smile.gif

scenic

Posted 20 February 2009 - 04:34 PM

scenic

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,156 posts
QUOTE (honeylee @ Feb 20 2009, 03:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
alldisc,

thanks a lot for ur detailed comparison. i dun know much about cars, so cannot understand some of it smile_tongue.gif

i guess to us the main thing will be fuel efficiency and comfortable. so i understand from ur analysis, Altis will be the better choice (let me know if i got u wrong).
Cheers.
thanks a lot smile.gif

Altis 1.6E is nicer and more refine in engine. Test drove both before, and the Altis engine is much quieter and the AT gearbox runs smoother. No offence to those new City owners. Altis seating position is better and it is a wider car too. Built quality in Altis is better off. Cheers
director's choice

Justicebao

Posted 21 February 2009 - 05:21 PM

Justicebao

White Lightning

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,604 posts
Both cars are in different segment lar....It's like comparing a 325 and a 523
Please join the Toyota facebook group --> HERE

duck

Posted 21 February 2009 - 05:29 PM

duck

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 174 posts
honeylee,

it depends on what you are looking for in your new car. If you want comfort, i think the Altis will be better. But if you're young, wants to do some mods to your car, enjoy hi-revving your car then the City is the better car.

The Altis dun really have much leg room inside the car, however a big boot which is actually comparable to City's boot (damn big!). However, City's passenger sitting position is kinda small especially for tall people. In front, the roof is pretty low because of the curve. If you sit at the back, people like me only 171cm, my hair already touch the roof. If go over bump surely hit my head.

In terms of engine power and FC, the City should do better. Altis 1.6 is underpowered for its body weight. Under powered cars have higher FC because you tend to 'tekan' more to make the car move.

City is trendy and young, Altis is more conservative. Take your pick smile.gif

honeylee,

it depends on what you are looking for in your new car. If you want comfort, i think the Altis will be better. But if you're young, wants to do some mods to your car, enjoy hi-revving your car then the City is the better car.

The Altis dun really have much leg room inside the car, however a big boot which is actually comparable to City's boot (damn big!). However, City's passenger sitting position is kinda small especially for tall people. In front, the roof is pretty low because of the curve. If you sit at the back, people like me only 171cm, my hair already touch the roof. If go over bump surely hit my head.

In terms of engine power and FC, the City should do better. Altis 1.6 is underpowered for its body weight. Under powered cars have higher FC because you tend to 'tekan' more to make the car move.

City is trendy and young, Altis is more conservative. Take your pick smile.gif
Quack Quack Quack

Justicebao

Posted 21 February 2009 - 05:32 PM

Justicebao

White Lightning

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,604 posts
If i could afford the extra 12k...i guess i will go for Altis as well...It's 1 class higher than City which is in Compact car catergory
Please join the Toyota facebook group --> HERE

duck

Posted 22 February 2009 - 09:24 AM

duck

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 174 posts
Actually you can also go for the Nissan Latio Sports at 96k. It's 1.6 and has bigger interior space than the City and Altis. But the boot size definitely lose out to the City and Altis though.
Quack Quack Quack

glau

Posted 22 February 2009 - 11:30 AM

glau

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 119 posts
QUOTE (duck @ Feb 22 2009, 09:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Actually you can also go for the Nissan Latio Sports at 96k. It's 1.6 and has bigger interior space than the City and Altis. But the boot size definitely lose out to the City and Altis though.

Just came back from the nissan show room, Nissan is giving all latios a 4.5k discount..

Joytoy

Posted 22 February 2009 - 11:37 AM

Joytoy

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,148 posts
QUOTE (glau @ Feb 22 2009, 11:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just came back from the nissan show room, Nissan is giving all latios a 4.5k discount..

2008 or 2009 model?