Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

New Vios Very Unstable > 110kmh

• Please log in to reply

drexchan

Posted 12 February 2009 - 01:55 PM

drexchan

Hot Rod

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14,758 posts
QUOTE (scenic @ Feb 12 2009, 09:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is Wira stable on the highway ? Had one before, I see and feel no stability on the highway. Check around with some experienced ppl, got shot in the leg when I said Wira has multilink suspension. Answer I got was independent suspension has the cheap and expensive type ! I was asked, do I think Wira is equiped with those expensive type or cheapo one ? Cheers.

Why are we comparing Vios with Wira? Vios is a new generation car with brand new chassis, unlike the 15-yo CA chassis inherited from the Japanese. In addition to that, Wira is not a competitor for Vios, it has also been discontinued, it's much cheaper and obsolete.

My whole point of my previous post was: Who says Vios is unstable at speed? Come I bring him for a run. Most of the time, it's the driver and the road..

So, OT abit, regarding Wira stability... well this was taken back in 2004, stock standard suspension, photo was taken with a stupid (retired) Fujifilm camera by a passenger sitting on standard seat, straped with standard safety belt:

http://drexchan.foto...t/p9681416.html

I am not sure if I can call this stable or not. Not even a shake.

scenic

Posted 12 February 2009 - 03:33 PM

scenic

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,156 posts
QUOTE (drexchan @ Feb 12 2009, 01:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why are we comparing Vios with Wira? Vios is a new generation car with brand new chassis, unlike the 15-yo CA chassis inherited from the Japanese. In addition to that, Wira is not a competitor for Vios, it has also been discontinued, it's much cheaper and obsolete.

My whole point of my previous post was: Who says Vios is unstable at speed? Come I bring him for a run. Most of the time, it's the driver and the road..

So, OT abit, regarding Wira stability... well this was taken back in 2004, stock standard suspension, photo was taken with a stupid (retired) Fujifilm camera by a passenger sitting on standard seat, straped with standard safety belt:

http://drexchan.foto...t/p9681416.html

I am not sure if I can call this stable or not. Not even a shake.

Does steering not vibrating tentamount to being stable ? I thought not stable means floaty ? Steering vibrates mean alighnment out ? Vios is a higher car and Wira is a very low car, too low for comfort and not forgetting it is a pain in the knees to get in and out of the car. Sports car wannabe ? And, it caused backache to many drivers too. Many can testify on this. Cheers.

director's choice

drexchan

Posted 12 February 2009 - 04:06 PM

drexchan

Hot Rod

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14,758 posts
I mean the camera, not the steering, smart.

Owning a Wira and modifying it doesn't mean I have never driven other cars before. I am in one of the exclusive group of people that get a chance of testing different cars up to its limit and certainly I have cruised a Vios at speed. I have never said Vios is poor in stability, it was the Vios owner themselves.

It was your fella Vios members here who compalint about the stability, FIRST, and compared it to a Gen.2. Then, it was you dragging in the Wira. Comparing a Vios to a Wira (and trying to be little it) is a shame to the Vios. Don't you think so?

At the speed concerned the topic starter (110km/h), stability has NOTHING to do with ride-height. Therefore I do not understand why are you commenting about the height. Maybe you just want to divert the focus. High-riding chassis is the trend in the recent decade, mainly for egonomic and safety. It was the trend back then to have low-riding chassis as aerodynamic wasn't that advanced yet. Wira was designed low by the JAPANESE as Lancer CA4A, then latter "down-graded" by Proton for the Wira C97/98/99.

If your intention of replying my post is to prove your own opinion that Wira is a crappy highway cruiser, yes you are right. But my wife sleeps in the cabin while I was doing 160km/h. I bet that she can sleep better in a Vios.

scenic

Posted 12 February 2009 - 04:43 PM

scenic

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,156 posts
QUOTE (drexchan @ Feb 11 2009, 10:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
paying more to buy a more expensive car that needs to be modified to match the cheaper competitor? unsure.gif

I post my findings based on your question above. If really you have tested the Vios to be stable then you ought to have put up a clarification from the beginning instead of the remark above. I did not belittle the Wira but that's how it handled on the highway to me. Ask anyone who like to race, why they lowered their cars as low as possible if it is not for the sake of a stable ride and lesser air travelling under the carriage ? Then, what's that for ? Cheers.

director's choice

drexchan

Posted 12 February 2009 - 11:41 PM

drexchan

Hot Rod

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14,758 posts
Questioning how I choose to throw a pebble to make some waves - you should not.

The problem is, you have your built-in defensive system activated and you instinctively over reacted to a statement that you perceived as negative towards the brand that you highly praise. You fell into your own trap thinking that I was trying to make a critic on the car.

I might not be a qualified test driver but I think I put my hands on more type of steering wheels than you, brought more cars to their limit than you, stripped more car to bare bone than you, and most importantly more open minded than you.

scenic

Posted 13 February 2009 - 09:28 AM

scenic

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,156 posts
QUOTE (drexchan @ Feb 12 2009, 11:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Questioning how I choose to throw a pebble to make some waves - you should not.

The problem is, you have your built-in defensive system activated and you instinctively over reacted to a statement that you perceived as negative towards the brand that you highly praise. You fell into your own trap thinking that I was trying to make a critic on the car.

I might not be a qualified test driver but I think I put my hands on more type of steering wheels than you, brought more cars to their limit than you, stripped more car to bare bone than you, and most importantly more open minded than you.

Remember one thing in life, self praise is no praise. You have the right to judge me and I give you the priviledge, remember. I don't highly regard one particular brand as perceived/claimed by you. There you go, you don't know me, do you ? You just merry go round trying hard thinking what's going on in my writing. Whatever achievements you proclaimed here, so be it. Anyone will just take it as a pinch of salt. Cheers.
director's choice

simonlim

Posted 13 February 2009 - 04:25 PM

simonlim

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,578 posts
to me, a vios is stable at any speed. one just needs to hold on to the steering tight and then enjoy the floaty feeling above 120km/h. it's still considered stable IMO, just a bit floaty along 120-160km/h. i dare not go beyond 160km/h with my vios, i might scream!
<SiMoN LiM>
Toyota Camry 2.4V ACV30

drexchan

Posted 13 February 2009 - 05:47 PM

drexchan

Hot Rod

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14,758 posts
A steady stream of water has a lot of turbulance in it. It's never laminar.

Holding the steering wheel tight is not the best way to go fast with a soft suspension. You must give it some freedom to self adapt to the undulation and bump steering.

simonlim

Posted 14 February 2009 - 01:55 AM

simonlim

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,578 posts
QUOTE (drexchan @ Feb 13 2009, 05:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A steady stream of water has a lot of turbulance in it. It's never laminar.

Holding the steering wheel tight is not the best way to go fast with a soft suspension. You must give it some freedom to self adapt to the undulation and bump steering.

hmm..keep going drex, i wanna learn more. u often go down to the track? wat kind of competitions u go for? i have a cousin brother on the track too but it was long ago then. his name is deric lim, driving an aged white wira 1.5L. he has switched to drifting though. he was in time attack last time.
<SiMoN LiM>
Toyota Camry 2.4V ACV30

drexchan

Posted 15 February 2009 - 04:14 AM

drexchan

Hot Rod

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14,758 posts
First, sit right and hold right.

Which position do you hold on the steering when you are going high speed? 10, 2, or 9, 3?

Do you need to stretch your arms at those position? What's the elbow angle? 120 deg, 180 deg, or less than 90 deg?

Do you sit straigh up or slant to the back? What's the pelvic angle?