Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Interested in original 16v rims

• Please log in to reply

spygame

Posted 13 February 2003 - 12:50 PM

spygame

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 334 posts
Currently I have 2 pairs ov TWS 16" rims. Is it advisable to change back to the original 15" rims (I drive a 16v).
Anyone sell these babies anymore?

jeromeliao

Posted 13 February 2003 - 05:10 PM

jeromeliao

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 213 posts
spygame,

i have a set of 16V rims if you are interested. call me at 012-388 5527. we'll discuss further .....

JEROME

spygame

Posted 13 February 2003 - 10:32 PM

spygame

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 334 posts
Glad to hear from you Jerome.
It's a bit late...so I'll call you tomorrow.
-spygame

spygame

Posted 15 February 2003 - 07:51 PM

spygame

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 334 posts
I inherited my TWS 16"rims from c16v (remember that diamond red 16v)
I'm having second thoughts about it. Yes I love the looks (thouhg abit flashy) and the handling
but I prefer comfort.
I need advice from anyone (sifu or non-sifu) about the pros and cons of having these 16" babies. Should I be contented with them? I'm willing to barter trade them with good conditioned Orriginal Citoren zx 16v rims. I'm using Potenza RE711. The front pair is 2 weeks old. Rear thread is 70-80%. Anyway, what would be a reasonable price for original 16v rims new/used?
Thanks !
-spygame

nistelrooy

Posted 15 February 2003 - 11:18 PM

nistelrooy

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 370 posts
spygame..
I don't have 16" rims or a 16v, but i did change the rims on my ZX to 15" 5 spoke speedlines and 195/50 tires.
It definately looks better but handling and ride wise I still prefer the original 14" and 185/60 tires. Yes, you get more grip with the wider rubber, but I miss the nimbleness and agility (not to mention ride comfort) of the original setup. The car feels a lot more fluent with the standard tires. With the bigger tires,my ZX seems to bottom out more and i can't quite go as fast on undulating surfaces, constantly backing off for the fear of hearing that grinding sound!
Actually, since the original ZX setup is so good, i don't see the need to meddle with its handling by adding bigger rims, lowering springs etc...anybody agree with me?
All it needs is a bit more poke...

spygame

Posted 16 February 2003 - 12:13 AM

spygame

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 334 posts
Thanks for replying,nistelrooy.
I agree fully with you. I miss the ride comfort of my previous ZX on 14" rims. I think I'll go for the original 16v rims.
Anyone interestes in barter trading with TWS 16" (as above) can call me at 012-3152288 or email me.

vonnig

Posted 16 February 2003 - 08:49 AM

vonnig

White Lightning

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,143 posts
nistelrooy... i beg to differ... because i have come to love the 15" rims and i have found that the ride is actually much better as compared to the 14"rims... but then you have to know how to mix and match lar... i'm currently using the original absorbers and is therefore oil based thus a softer more comfortable ride... (eventhough it's leaking)... and there is no scraping sound... unless i'm fetching like a total of four or more ppl in the car... if you are alone in the car... there's no bottom out unless your rear axle is worn already... then it will touch the rear inner wheel arch... otherwise... the 15" will be heaven... i can't wait to change my absorbers to take advantage of grippy corners once again...

while i was using the 14" i found no advantage to it... the difference in acceleration is negligible if at all... and it seemed to lack character and charm of a 15"... i now wonder how i could've driven around in a 14" rim for almost 2years when the 15" was a simple wonder in cornering, grip, stability and comfort... in the 15" i found going thru humps and potholes (accidently) less damaging and rough as compared to the 14"... i suppose to each his own...

spygame... if i had a 16V or better arch clearance, i might take you up on that offer altho i don't have the original 16V rims... i'm using the Peugeot MI16 speedline rims...

nistelrooy

Posted 16 February 2003 - 11:46 AM

nistelrooy

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 370 posts
vonnig,
What you said is true, the 15" would work fine if my absorbers/axles and the rest were fit to match. I've even had wheel arches done on my car at a fiberglass shop so that it would have more clearance.
But what I miss most is the adjustability in corners that you get with the 14". The difference is very subltle and most people wouldn't even give a hoot but I've driven back and forth over the same stretch of roads using the original setup and the bigger tires and i can feel it.
It happens when I turn into a corner, accelerate, and back off the gas pedal. With the 14", I can feel the car tuck its nose in and follow the line. It feels lithe and when I take a sequence of corners, the thing feels so fluent, it nevers seems to be caught in a lurch. Its like the car has telepathy, reading the road ahead and simply gliding through it! For all out performance, the 15" would corner harder and faster, but i'm talking about the "feel" and smoothness of it...to me you still can't beat the old plain 14". The 15" goes harder, but doesn't feel quite as fluid. When you back off in corners, the car just squats and keeps on gripping...more stable,and faster if you're pressing on, but not as much fun! Its the old handling vs roadholding thingie..But it depends on your tastes, I guess.

spygame

Posted 05 March 2003 - 10:57 PM

spygame

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 334 posts
Dear Jerome,

Hi, its me again. I guess I was undecided on whether to change my rims or not.Did you receive my SMS? I've given it some thought...
I'm definitely changing to the original 15" 16v rims.
I don't think the ride characteristics will differ much with my 16", but frankly speaking, I think the 16v looks nicer with the original wheels.
Willing to buy or trade in.
If you've sold you wheels Jerome, that's okay.
Guys, where can I start my search for these wheels. Where did you guys dispose of your original rims?
Do you think PH Auto or Directional sells these wheels anymore?
My apologies for reposting this topic.
-spygameDisapprove

Ri

Posted 06 March 2003 - 04:56 PM

Ri

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 424 posts
Hi, yesterday went to tyre shop to do balancing/alignment. Guess what??? 3 of the original rims bengkok!! No wonder tak syok bawak. Countless of hitting patholes. So aparagi re-align all those 3. This guy charge me RM60/rim (RM180 - all), and charge RM30 for balancing and alignment!!!! Jangan mare..I think it cheap..and to add more spice, it take one of the "botak" tyre and change to Bridgestone RE711 (90% thread left) without any charge....So total up is only RM210 (The same speed I always made for my 16v).

I don't mind go to his shop even I stay in Bangi, and did that at Bandar Sri Damansara because he has served me better than I paid for.Smile