Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Timing Belt Change

• Please log in to reply

Evergreen2

Posted 11 December 2018 - 06:39 PM

Evergreen2

1st Gear

• Members
  • 1 posts

My Proton Persona mileage hit 80K kilometre now and it is time to change the engine timing belt. I have get a quote from Proton Service centre nearby, the package cost over RM1K. Feeling it is costly, so I looking for workshop outside, and managed to find one in KL which charge only RM200 (labour + part). There are big contrast in cost between these 2 options. I wonder is there any difference in the service package been offered by Proton service centre as compare to workshop outside? Hope Sifu here can advise. Thank you.

vr2turbo

Posted 12 December 2018 - 09:52 AM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 71,443 posts

My Proton Persona mileage hit 80K kilometre now and it is time to change the engine timing belt. I have get a quote from Proton Service centre nearby, the package cost over RM1K. Feeling it is costly, so I looking for workshop outside, and managed to find one in KL which charge only RM200 (labour + part). There are big contrast in cost between these 2 options. I wonder is there any difference in the service package been offered by Proton service centre as compare to workshop outside? Hope Sifu here can advise. Thank you.

Looks like too great a difference. Labour plus parts at RM200 is like too cheap. Timing belt change involves belt, tensioners, oil seals etc., and at least half day labour. Try getting another quote, if it is about the same then probably ok to go ahead.....