Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Proton Iriz: Downhill Problem?

proton iriz

• Please log in to reply

LeMustier

Posted 02 November 2015 - 12:20 PM

LeMustier

4th Gear

• Members
  • 4 posts

Hi, so I purchased my Proton Iriz CVT 1.3 Standard exactly two months ago. Had my first service weeks ago. 

Driving through the city road is great. Smooth and easy. But there's a downside when driving downhill. 

See, I drove my Iriz back to my hometown, it's about 80km from the city. The road that I took has about 50km going uphill and 30km going downhill. What i noticed was that when I drove on a long downhill road, the RPM shoots up to 3, and I'm just at 60km/h. On a steep road, brake is applicable, and the RPM can be tamed because of the brake, but when on a long  (but NOT steep) downhill road, the RPM shoots up. I can use the brake to tame the RPM but it would be ridiculous especially when it's not a steep road and when there are cars behind because it would slow down the car to 50km/h. It made me think twice to cut in line whenever I need to especially cutting an 8-10 wheeler truck who uses the same road because using L gear at top speed would shoot the RPM to 4.

Does this have something to do with the engine braking system? The only solution we have at this moment when driving through a long downhill road is by maintaining at 50km/h, without much pressure on the accelerator.

It made me think that this car is not made for the hillside.   

vr2turbo

Posted 03 November 2015 - 08:16 AM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 71,443 posts

Yes, I think is due to engine braking. My Chery SUV does the same thing but usually on steep downhill, but I do have a particular route that is only slightly sloping downhill, but every time I use that route the engine braking come in and the rpm is higher. Could be that slope has the exact angle that activates the engine braking...

Anyway I will transfer you to Proton section hopefully to get more replies....

LeMustier

Posted 03 November 2015 - 09:47 AM

LeMustier

4th Gear

• Members
  • 4 posts
thanks

rallychamp

Posted 03 November 2015 - 03:37 PM

rallychamp

hands on habbit

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,669 posts

its step down to assist braking during downhill...

common in mitsubishi based invecs2 and most cvt transmission if not mistaken...

so...do you mean u want lower rpm with higher cruising downhill speed

or want more engine braking?

if u want higher cruising speed during downhill try lightly press the throttle and keep it steady...or just use manual over-ride and keep it high gear...

*crazy drifter|| http://img225.images...gilalahlagi.jpg
*Drift King is Back!!|| http://img580.images...ahdkterbaik.jpg
(NFS Underground)

vr2turbo

Posted 03 November 2015 - 08:25 PM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • 71,443 posts

Yup, he wants lower rpm....

LeMustier

Posted 05 November 2015 - 02:46 PM

LeMustier

4th Gear

• Members
  • 4 posts

Yes, lower RPM...it made my sister's perodua viva looks far superior than my iriz when it comes to downhill performance. 

LeMustier

Posted 11 November 2015 - 12:30 PM

LeMustier

4th Gear

• Members
  • 4 posts

if u want higher cruising speed during downhill try lightly press the throttle and keep it steady...or just use manual over-ride and keep it high gear...

Tried the light press and it worked! I just need to practice more and I will get used to it. Thanks!

vr2turbo

Posted 12 November 2015 - 07:47 AM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • 71,443 posts

So lightly press cheats the ECU that you are accelerating...... :D

rallychamp

Posted 12 November 2015 - 07:52 PM

rallychamp

hands on habbit

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,669 posts

yeap...that trick found since proton campro auto (mitsubishi based invecs2 gearbox)

probably the punch cvt mapping also based on that

*crazy drifter|| http://img225.images...gilalahlagi.jpg
*Drift King is Back!!|| http://img580.images...ahdkterbaik.jpg
(NFS Underground)