Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Citroen Ds 5 - Care To Share Experience / Feedback

• Please log in to reply

intermilan

Posted 20 October 2014 - 02:13 PM

intermilan

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,555 posts
Locally, the DS5 was launched in Feb 2013. Its been around 1.5 years since that.

Glad if owners could share their experience on the car.

We all know and agree on the great design, quality refinement and luxurious feel of the car.

But a few facts e.g.
(1) usage of the 156bhp version of the Prince engine is rather worrying as we all know Peugeot 308T with the same engine version does experienced several issues that keep coming back.
(2) pretty stiff ride which was highlighted by a few UK-based testers and quite a few Citroen enthusiasts back in the early days. Read here that Citroen was going to revise the suspension setup, but not sure if its already been rolled out and if it does, do Malaysia-bound DS5 come with the revised suspension or not.

As such, any shared feedback is much appreciated.

However, please refrain from turning this thread into an outlet to bash the DS5 or the distributors. Kindly keep it sensible.

Thanks

rafaiq

Posted 25 October 2014 - 12:38 PM

rafaiq

1st Gear

• Members
  • 1 posts
Hi,

Been driving a DS5 since May 2014. Other then small issues where SC had addressed quickly, had no problems with the engine. What problem did the 308T has?

The ride is a bit hard but acceptable.

Only issue I have is after it sync with our hp... to search for a contact, I need to start alphabetically.

Any other DS5 owner out there? We should share our experiences.

Thanks

QUOTE (intermilan @ Oct 20 2014, 02:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Locally, the DS5 was launched in Feb 2013. Its been around 1.5 years since that.

Glad if owners could share their experience on the car.

We all know and agree on the great design, quality refinement and luxurious feel of the car.

But a few facts e.g.
(1) usage of the 156bhp version of the Prince engine is rather worrying as we all know Peugeot 308T with the same engine version does experienced several issues that keep coming back.
(2) pretty stiff ride which was highlighted by a few UK-based testers and quite a few Citroen enthusiasts back in the early days. Read here that Citroen was going to revise the suspension setup, but not sure if its already been rolled out and if it does, do Malaysia-bound DS5 come with the revised suspension or not.

As such, any shared feedback is much appreciated.

However, please refrain from turning this thread into an outlet to bash the DS5 or the distributors. Kindly keep it sensible.

Thanks

intermilan

Posted 28 October 2014 - 04:16 PM

intermilan

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,555 posts
QUOTE (rafaiq @ Oct 25 2014, 12:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi,

Been driving a DS5 since May 2014. Other then small issues where SC had addressed quickly, had no problems with the engine. What problem did the 308T has?

The ride is a bit hard but acceptable.

Only issue I have is after it sync with our hp... to search for a contact, I need to start alphabetically.

Any other DS5 owner out there? We should share our experiences.

Thanks

The 156bhp version of the Prince engine is known to have a few issues.. most of them were due to PSA Peugeot Citroen own fault.
After quite a ruckus back then.. and the whole thing was make worse by other factors (like complaint of incompetent SC etc), 308 and Peugeot in general lost 'steam' in sales. Not to mention VW entrance into the market.

Not sure if rectifications were made to the 156 bhp version but for our local market, starting in 2012 with 408 and in 2013 with FL RCZ, a new version i.e. the 163bhp Prince engine was introduced. By 2014, all new Peugeots models (so far only FL 3008 and FL 5008) comes with the 163bhp version engine (rather than the 156bhp version). A few have said that this is the cure for all the issues plaguing the 156bhp version.

MASsenger

Posted 08 January 2015 - 11:45 AM

MASsenger

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,393 posts
QUOTE (intermilan @ Oct 28 2014, 04:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The 156bhp version of the Prince engine is known to have a few issues.. most of them were due to PSA Peugeot Citroen own fault.
After quite a ruckus back then.. and the whole thing was make worse by other factors (like complaint of incompetent SC etc), 308 and Peugeot in general lost 'steam' in sales. Not to mention VW entrance into the market.

Not sure if rectifications were made to the 156 bhp version but for our local market, starting in 2012 with 408 and in 2013 with FL RCZ, a new version i.e. the 163bhp Prince engine was introduced. By 2014, all new Peugeots models (so far only FL 3008 and FL 5008) comes with the 163bhp version engine (rather than the 156bhp version). A few have said that this is the cure for all the issues plaguing the 156bhp version.

Good idea to checkout some details,before forking out a large sum of money on a car. I think the DS5 is a very good looking car. Let me answer your questions. I have done extensive research on the Prince engine.

I'm sure you know Prince has won Europe Engine Award for 8 years running. This is very surprising and puzzling,as early Prince ( 140THP ) was besieged with premature carbon buildup. Ok this does not appear on a brand new engine out of the factory. In practice or real life of the engine, this problem appeared as early as 15K km, reported by some owners! Prince was retuned to 156hp ( EP6DTC )and that solved 95% of the problems. This engine became standard for most PSA vehicles. Premature carbon buildup complaints dropped drastically. 2012 we saw 408 introduced to Malaysia, was the first to come with a new Prince ( EP6CDTM ) that was given a complete make over. All problems relating to reliability were addressed on this engine.

Lowyat forum has a 408 dedicated thread. Over 10,000 postings with more than 100, THP registered owners. Not a single premature carbon buildup complaint. IMO that is an excellent testament to EP6CDTM's reliability. Apart from addressing the premature carbon problem, a total of 8 mods were carried out, all addressing reliability issues on the engine. Here's copy of the list of the mods I made on my research:

EP6CDTM mods:
1) Engine tuned to run on RON 87 petrol
2) Remapped ECU
3) New designed piston with lower compression
4) New designed catalyzer.
5) New engine oil filter housing with heat exchanger
6) New turbo charger
7) New fuel tank gauge unit with lower pressure pump to handle lower grade petrol.
8) A fuel filter to cater for hash atmospheric condition ( third world country )

As this engine has proven it's self reliable, presently all PSA 1.6THP petrol sedans/MPV/SUV are fitted with EP6CDTM.Some diesel options are available. Me being an owner of the 1.6THP, am absolutely satisfied and this engine is such a delight. Almost 3 years & my Lion still has a healthy roar!

The REALdeal

intermilan

Posted 14 April 2016 - 04:40 PM

intermilan

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,555 posts

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I agree that there seems to be very little complaint heard from 408 owners on engine problem.

And its been more than a year since this thread received it last entry.

Perhaps now is a good time for owners of DS5 to share their ownership experience. Its been more than 3 years since DS5 introduction in Malaysia.