Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Ford Focus Vs Lancer Gte

• Please log in to reply

zealotj

Posted 13 May 2014 - 02:23 PM

zealotj

3rd Gear

• Members
  • 3 posts
Hi guys, need your help to choose between these two cars. First and foremost, I gotta admit that I'm not a car savvy guy. Just a normal guy looking for a car that is quite stylish and highly reliable for peace of mind in the long term.

So my criteria:
1) Got style - I like Lancer, although people may see it a bit outdated since Inspira is around.
2) Comfort for long distance travel
3) Roomy.
4) Reliability, and I mean fairly proven one. And I think Lancer have quite track record for this do they?
5) After sales service. This one is really important too. And I think Ford do offer slightly more attractive service right?

So that's about it. What do you guys think?

Oh if you guys wanna recommend other choice, feel free to chip in. My budget is definitely below 120k.

Thanks everybody fing30.gif

jamespaul

Posted 14 May 2014 - 09:27 AM

jamespaul

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 180 posts
QUOTE (zealotj @ May 13 2014, 02:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi guys, need your help to choose between these two cars. First and foremost, I gotta admit that I'm not a car savvy guy. Just a normal guy looking for a car that is quite stylish and highly reliable for peace of mind in the long term.

So my criteria:
1) Got style - I like Lancer, although people may see it a bit outdated since Inspira is around.
3) Roomy.
4) Reliability, and I mean fairly proven one. And I think Lancer have quite track record for this do they?
5) After sales service. This one is really important too. And I think Ford do offer slightly more attractive service right?

Oh if you guys wanna recommend other choice, feel free to chip in. My budget is definitely below 120k.

My advise. Ford Focus.
Style. I have no comments. my hot may not be your hot.
Comfort. The Inspira is really noisy on highways (within legal speeds). the Focus is sublime. Their seats are more comfy and the highway road manners i probably best in price range.
Roomy. The Inspira is bigger but not by much
Reliability. Lancer parts are cheaper due to economies of scale
Ford has 3 year free service and 5 year warranty.

Ford has all the safety features you'd every want.
Handles better.

vr2turbo

Posted 14 May 2014 - 09:38 AM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 71,469 posts
QUOTE (jamespaul @ May 14 2014, 09:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My advise. Ford Focus.
Comfort. The Inspira is really noisy on highways (within legal speeds). the Focus is sublime. Their seats are more comfy and the highway road manners i probably best in price range.

Handles better.

How is Ford reliability nowadays? Many Conti like VW and Audi seems to have many problems be it small or big.

If want Roomy and Comfort I think Nissan Sylphy is best, but shape may not be hot. Cannot have it all.....hahaha smile_big.gif

jamespaul

Posted 14 May 2014 - 11:57 AM

jamespaul

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 180 posts
QUOTE (vr2turbo @ May 14 2014, 09:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How is Ford reliability nowadays? Many Conti like VW and Audi seems to have many problems be it small or big.

If want Roomy and Comfort I think Nissan Sylphy is best, but shape may not be hot. Cannot have it all.....hahaha smile_big.gif

sylphy is so so so so so so so so so so so so ugly....

yes, when compared to the old, it better looking.

but when compared to its rivals......

Posted 14 May 2014 - 12:43 PM

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 137 posts
QUOTE (jamespaul @ May 14 2014, 11:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
sylphy is so so so so so so so so so so so so ugly....

yes, when compared to the old, it better looking.

but when compared to its rivals......

Dear All,

My humble opinion about Sylphy : Yes there are upgrades in certain aspects of the new model. BUT how come one of the

key factors which most customers concern with THE HORSEPOWER DOWNGRADES FROM 133 FROM THE FORMER TO 131

THE LATEST. This is rather weird. In the year 80s, people bought new cars hoping for power-steering/windows ; in the year

90s hoping for disc brakes/abs; in the year 2000s aimed for VSC ,TC, 2 airbags, retractable side mirrors with indicator lights,

Xenon head lamps...; Now we should hope for multiple 6 airbags, reverse camera, push start/off, keyless entry, isofex, GPS

navigator, resonable horsepower, UBS......

How about Mazda 3 skyactiv or Altis 2.0 V which fulfill the above specs? There might be a few thousands RM more but there

are the cars for this era. The other choice is go for Korean.....

zealotj

Posted 14 May 2014 - 01:27 PM

zealotj

3rd Gear

• Members
  • 3 posts
QUOTE (jamespaul @ May 14 2014, 09:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My advise. Ford Focus.

Handles better.

Thanks for the feedback.

When you said Inspira is noisy do also refer to the new Lancer? I couldn't notice significant noise on Lancer when I test-drove it. Maybe I should try Focus too for comparison, haven't got the time to test one.

And also the reliability part. From what I've gathered so far, Lancer really have the upper hand on this.

Firstly,

http://www.nydailyne...ticle-1.1205917

Thus Lancer has the favourable history on its side, even though the news clip is rather old one. Moreover, I've got a friend who already is driving a 2012 Focus, and he already had one major problem on its gearbox iinm, which of course have been dealt by Ford smoothly, but really that cast a major doubt in my mind.

And yes I'm aware Ford do has a lot of features. Furthermore I can find some dealer offering Focus at cheaper price (big discount) compared too Lancer. Just browsed through Mudah can easily find one. So this is why I'm kinda divided LOL.

jamespaul

Posted 14 May 2014 - 03:25 PM

jamespaul

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 180 posts
QUOTE (zealotj @ May 14 2014, 01:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks for the feedback.

When you said Inspira is noisy do also refer to the new Lancer? I couldn't notice significant noise on Lancer when I test-drove it. Maybe I should try Focus too for comparison, haven't got the time to test one.

And also the reliability part. From what I've gathered so far, Lancer really have the upper hand on this.

Firstly,

http://www.nydailyne...ticle-1.1205917

Thus Lancer has the favourable history on its side, even though the news clip is rather old one. Moreover, I've got a friend who already is driving a 2012 Focus, and he already had one major problem on its gearbox iinm, which of course have been dealt by Ford smoothly, but really that cast a major doubt in my mind.

And yes I'm aware Ford do has a lot of features. Furthermore I can find some dealer offering Focus at cheaper price (big discount) compared too Lancer. Just browsed through Mudah can easily find one. So this is why I'm kinda divided LOL.

Edit: wow double post. Sorry about that.

how long was your test drive? typically people's test drive involves, a short drive around the showroom area.

when i test drive a car, i usually take it for an extended period. longest was a full weekend (my dad knows most of the car dealers in town) and shortest would be at least an hour.

the Lancer suffers from noisy engine at highway speeds and poor sound insulation.

you gave long trips on the highway as priority. if so, Focus is the answer.

Breadman

Posted 18 May 2014 - 11:27 AM

Breadman

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,172 posts
Why would anyone want to buy the current Lancer? The design is so dated and should have been replaced by now. I must admit the price and features are tempting but competitors are not lacking, especially the Focus.

"Behind every great fortune there is a crime." ~ Mario Puzo (The Godfather)

nancylong

Posted 19 November 2014 - 12:42 AM

nancylong

Driver

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts
QUOTE (zealotj @ May 13 2014, 02:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So my criteria:
3) Roomy.

In Mitsubishi Lancer, passengers in the back seat will be able to stretch out a lot more than the Ford Focus due to its greater head- and legroom.
automotive repair services

realdude83

Posted 23 April 2017 - 04:48 PM

realdude83

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

My vote goes to Ford Focus too. I've had a ford focus in the past and 2 of my friends & relatives have Fords. Not focus tho, just ford. But still, they're really reliable and I've always loved them! Parts and service for them is also pretty cheap. Cheers.