Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Benefits Of Installing Capacitor

• Please log in to reply

gtr88

Posted 05 November 2013 - 06:55 PM

gtr88

4th Gear

• Members
  • 4 posts
I would like to seek opinion if we install capacitor in our car, will it really improve car performance ? I tried one introduced by a local accessories shop recently...... my car audio did sound better & car power seem to have higher torque but I having doubt if it really benefits the car in the long run after doing some research in Google. Attached below is just one of the articles I read.

http://fatfist.hubpa...-They-DONT-Work

Claimed it can bring better fuel mileage by regulating the car electricity.

Will it do more harm to the car in the long run? The one introduced by the shop is local made & doesn't even have a brand name and it's quite expensive, I'm just wondering it's really worth spending the money ??

vr2turbo

Posted 06 November 2013 - 07:51 AM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 71,560 posts
QUOTE (gtr88 @ Nov 5 2013, 06:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would like to seek opinion if we install capacitor in our car, will it really improve car performance ? I tried one introduced by a local accessories shop recently...... my car audio did sound better & car power seem to have higher torque but I having doubt if it really benefits the car in the long run after doing some research in Google. Attached below is just one of the articles I read.

Will it do more harm to the car in the long run? The one introduced by the shop is local made & doesn't even have a brand name and it's quite expensive, I'm just wondering it's really worth spending the money ??

I only see these capacitors fitted in high end audio systems, probably more to stabilized the voltage as not to fry them up when voltage spikes. I don't have them in my simple setup, however I have VS connected to my battery....

Hopefully some ICE sifu can comment.... smile_tongue.gif

kaylcar

Posted 06 November 2013 - 09:37 AM

kaylcar

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,589 posts
QUOTE (gtr88 @ Nov 5 2013, 06:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There isn't a single device in the market you can bolt on to your car that will save you fuel, usually it will do the opposite. Recently tested on Top Gear were 5 "leading" assorted so called fuel savers ranging in price between RM200 to RM1200. The lowest price one (just plug in to your cig lighter and save 10% fuel) turned out to be just a green light! All the devices returned higher fuel consumption than the baseline standard car (all tested on rolling road with exactly same inputs). Don't waste your money on these useless gadgets.
Capacitors may be needed if you have a mobile disco in your car, or even a second battery and bigger alternator, either will burn more fuel because you are using more power so it has to come from somewhere.!
1,463,700 Scoville heat units.....can u feel the burn?

vq20

Posted 18 November 2013 - 05:30 PM

vq20

Probation

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
QUOTE (kaylcar @ Nov 6 2013, 09:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Recently tested on Top Gear were 5 "leading" assorted so called fuel savers ranging in price between RM200 to RM1200. The lowest price one (just plug in to your cig lighter and save 10% fuel) turned out to be just a green light! All the devices returned higher fuel consumption than the baseline standard car (all tested on rolling road with exactly same inputs).

care to list those gadgets?

i almost bought a cyclone device for my carb bluebird way way back after seeing it at a motorshow. may we discuss about few myth such as:

1) adding moth balls into petrol tank
2) strapping magnets to the fuel line
3) venting gas from the cylinder head instead of returning to air inlet blink.gif

vr2turbo

Posted 19 November 2013 - 07:55 AM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • 71,560 posts
QUOTE (vq20 @ Nov 18 2013, 05:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
care to list those gadgets?

i almost bought a cyclone device for my carb bluebird way way back after seeing it at a motorshow. may we discuss about few myth such as:

1) adding moth balls into petrol tank
2) strapping magnets to the fuel line
3) venting gas from the cylinder head instead of returning to air inlet blink.gif

I have a few friends with cyclone thing in their carb cars seems to have better performance. Two of them even have it in their fuel injected cars, but personally have not tried them.

Moth balls, some have tried but seems it will not dissolve totally and may have residue left behind and in the long run may clog up
Magnet so far from a few users don't work
Venting gas from cylinder head is breather only. Going back to inlet manifold is to burn them off. If engine is old best to put oil catch tank in between, then manifold would not get so dirty. Venting them out you still need something to filter it.

vq20

Posted 19 November 2013 - 12:56 PM

vq20

Probation

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
QUOTE (vr2turbo @ Nov 19 2013, 07:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have a few friends with cyclone thing in their carb cars seems to have better performance. Two of them even have it in their fuel injected cars, but personally have not tried them

i'm getting interested smile.gif but makes me wonder if the induced vortex is sustainable into the combustion chamber going pass obstacles such as manifold and valves

QUOTE (vr2turbo @ Nov 19 2013, 07:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Venting gas from cylinder head is breather only

what's the logic in venting the gas? i'm sure you have seen some of those gadgets

vr2turbo

Posted 20 November 2013 - 08:29 AM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • 71,560 posts
QUOTE (vq20 @ Nov 19 2013, 12:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i'm getting interested smile.gif but makes me wonder if the induced vortex is sustainable into the combustion chamber going pass obstacles such as manifold and valves

what's the logic in venting the gas? i'm sure you have seen some of those gadgets

On paper it looks more promising with carb then fuel injection. As fuel injection (MPI) injects fuel right in front of the manifold the vortex does not seems to mix the air and fuel that much before entering combustion camber, but for carb the vortex will swirl the air fuel mixture from carb to the valves all along the manifold.

As mentioned venting the gas is for breather, means release the pressure in the crankcase. Two gadgets I know for this.

One is just a filter attached to capture any oil while venting out the gas.

The other is an oil catch tank where it capture the oil and hold it in the tank while still venting the gas back to inlet manifold. This way manifold will not get the oil as much...

My cheap DIY oil catch tank using plastic petrol filter

vq20

Posted 20 November 2013 - 02:07 PM

vq20

Probation

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
QUOTE (vr2turbo @ Nov 20 2013, 08:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As mentioned venting the gas is for breather, means release the pressure in the crankcase.

any problem letting air n oil vapours into inlet manifold (as ori)?

vr2turbo

Posted 22 November 2013 - 11:16 AM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • 71,560 posts
QUOTE (vq20 @ Nov 20 2013, 02:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
any problem letting air n oil vapours into inlet manifold (as ori)?

For new engine it is definitely okay. When engine gets worn more oil then vapors gets in to inlet manifold. In the long run it gets dirty.
I just cleaned my old Hyundai TB after 180k km of use.

See the inside also dirty

AR1617

Posted 18 December 2013 - 10:41 PM

AR1617

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 214 posts
if u have added amp(s) for ICE, then installing a 1farad cap will surely benefit the SQ, bass more control, mids better focus & highs more refine. The cap acts as power reservoir for the amp so that supply is constant & available when the amp draws the juice from the car electricity supply for that bass rumble....just my opinion & experience.....