Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Ford S-max Battery Replacement Procedure

• Please log in to reply

Kevin

Posted 18 July 2013 - 02:46 PM

Kevin

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,080 posts
Just replaced my battery under warranty at Ford PJ today. Here are some photos of what needs to be done to get the battery out (just in case you want to do it at home or once you are outside warranty).

1. Unplug connector (circled blue)
2. Loosen screw (circled red)
3. Pull out air hose (circled green)
4. Using 2 hands, pull out airbox (circled yellow)
5. Once the airbox is out, remove the front plastic cover in front of the battery.
6. You will see the bracket that holds the battery down. Remove nut and bracket.
7. Slide battery out. Remove positive clamp. Slide it further out. Remove negative clamp.

Here's a close-up shot.

Here's the battery specifications. I have no idea what size it is.

Kevin

Posted 18 July 2013 - 02:58 PM

Kevin

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,080 posts
Want to add that there was no warning that the battery was going to die on me. The car started fine and all electronics were working.

Then last night, the car refused to unlock. Having just changed the remote control battery last week, I was certain that it wasn't a flat battery in the remote. I then noticed that the blinking red LED on the speedometer as not blinking at all.

This morning, I used the metal key in the key fob to open the driver's door. BTW, the metal key is such a pain to use - it's too small to get a good grip to turn the key. I had to use a cloth wrapped around the key to turn it. Turn ANTI-CLOCKWISE to unlock the door.

Once inside, nothing worked in the car. The Convers+ screen did not turn on. Interior lamps were all off and the alarm did not sound. I could not open any other door from the inside due to the deadlocks so I had to pop open the bonnet from the driver's seat (lucky I have long arms).

Once I connected the jumper cables, the car woke up and the alarm started sounding.

Jump-starting a car with push-start function is such a pain. There is no way to control the starter motor cranking. I reved the donor car engine to 2k rpm, pushed POWER and the starter motor cranked once, then again and stopped. Power was on to the electrics.

I powered off, and attempted again with the donor car at 3k rpm. Engine started at first attempt.

It's times like this when you miss a manual gearbox car, a proper key and a downhill slope smile.gif

klaatu08

Posted 18 July 2013 - 03:15 PM

klaatu08

Advanced

• Members
  • Pip
  • 64 posts
thanks for sharing, Kevin. smile_thumbup.gif How long the batt last for your SMAX?

Kevin

Posted 18 July 2013 - 05:10 PM

Kevin

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,080 posts
QUOTE (klaatu08 @ Jul 18 2013, 03:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
thanks for sharing, Kevin. smile_thumbup.gif How long the batt last for your SMAX?

1 year and 9 months.
44k km.

Not as long as I would have liked.

Mr757

Posted 19 July 2013 - 09:57 AM

Mr757

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 281 posts
Thanks for the procedure, bro.
I am sure it will be useful for the members here...

Mr757