Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Steering Rack & Pinion

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

soeffeyan

Posted 08 June 2012 - 05:25 PM

soeffeyan

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 107 posts
there is leaking for my power steering. upon checking i was told that there is one small seal that need to replace. The bad news is I need to change the whole steering rack. Nasim quote me 5300. Outside shop I manage to get around 3300. part number is 4000NT, steering rack & pinion(?).

I think it is expensive to change the whole rack. There is another option which is only change the certain block, that is going to cost me 1700. I was recommended to change the whole thing so that I can have peace of mind....

I dont know what to do. I thought changing the seal only should be fine but apparently they only sell the whole set, there is no repair kit. Since I need to order this from outside, I have to pay cash, which I dont have the money at this moment.

Anyone have this experience? mind to share how you fix it? before i spend the money i just want to make sure it is the only way to do it.

thanks

intermilan

Posted 29 August 2012 - 10:58 PM

intermilan

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,555 posts
This might be too late but get a used rack from half cut shop.
Most peugeot workshops could sourced it for you. Price definitely much less than buying new.

soeffeyan

Posted 01 October 2012 - 09:55 AM

soeffeyan

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 107 posts
QUOTE (intermilan @ Aug 29 2012, 10:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This might be too late but get a used rack from half cut shop.
Most peugeot workshops could sourced it for you. Price definitely much less than buying new.

Right now I am in KK, very hard to get peugeot spare part from half cut.

I delayed the repair for a few months. I bought a bottle ATF fluid and topup the power steering oil almost every morning. After I save enough money I replaced the whole thing.

Total damage around RM3200 but the result total satisfaction. No need to open engine hood every morning anymore, hooray!!!

Some bad news from my mechanics, he detect some oil leak around the gear box. I hope he is wrong. He alrady cleaned the gear box, so will check again in my netx service. Worst case scenario, buy a passo half cut engine + gearbox (preferable passo), heart transplant muahahaha