Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Accident With Autofoam

• Please log in to reply

blackwoods

Posted 25 June 2013 - 03:37 PM

blackwoods

6th Gear

• Members
  • 9 posts
QUOTE (dchong @ Mar 12 2012, 02:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi guys,
Sorry for MIA a while.

Xyber,
This is an old topic and often asked question.
It is partially answered by bros here who are familiar with AutoFOAM and been to KL AUTO where we have pics and automotive articles for you to see, feel, read and understand.

There are 3 parts to your question :-
1) How to repair a stock chassis ?
2) How to repair an AutoFOAMed chassis ?
3) How AutoFOAM can mitigate the damage to your car in the event of an accident ?
4) How genuine Automotive foam, AutoFOAM, can Improve the Safety of your car ?

It is a lot easier with pictures and illustrations.
Since dinosaur here does not know how to post pics here, so here we go...
Facebook / Autofoam ( pls LIKE us when you are there. smile_thumbup.gif )

http://www.facebook....3...9263&type=1

Cheers,

Desmond
KL AUTO
017 282 3073

Thanks Desmond for this information, it's very useful for a newbie like me.

Malaysia Dedicated Server | Malaysia Cloud Hosting | Register a Domain Name

sonofgod

Posted 06 April 2014 - 03:36 AM

sonofgod

2nd Gear

• Members
  • 2 posts
So? Is it auto foam is good for the car or...? need some opinion too!

jamespaul

Posted 07 April 2014 - 11:03 AM

jamespaul

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 180 posts
QUOTE (sonofgod @ Apr 6 2014, 03:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So? Is it auto foam is good for the car or...? need some opinion too!

Is it good? Maybe?

if you are looking at just benefits (without taking into account of cost), then yes.

Does it increase rigidity? yes, but compared to steel, its a bit. but not a lot. because the foam is way way softer than steel which is what your chassis is made of.

Does it does reduce noise? yes, it does. putting more "material" into any hollow chassis will reduce noise, Eg: adding water into a can of coke will be quieter than an empty can. Adding sand, paper, rice and stuff.

does it help? short answer is yes.

does it help to justify the price?

in my opinion, no.

because the rigidity improvements are minimal, the noise reduction is negligible (most car noises doesn't come from your chassis)

td00164306

Posted 08 April 2014 - 05:48 PM

td00164306

2nd Gear

• Members
  • 2 posts
QUOTE (jamespaul @ Apr 7 2014, 11:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is it good? Maybe?

if you are looking at just benefits (without taking into account of cost), then yes.

Does it increase rigidity? yes, but compared to steel, its a bit. but not a lot. because the foam is way way softer than steel which is what your chassis is made of.

Does it does reduce noise? yes, it does. putting more "material" into any hollow chassis will reduce noise, Eg: adding water into a can of coke will be quieter than an empty can. Adding sand, paper, rice and stuff.

does it help? short answer is yes.

does it help to justify the price?

in my opinion, no.

because the rigidity improvements are minimal, the noise reduction is negligible (most car noises doesn't come from your chassis)

Have you tried this in your car?

jamespaul

Posted 08 April 2014 - 06:06 PM

jamespaul

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 180 posts
QUOTE (td00164306 @ Apr 8 2014, 05:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Have you tried this in your car?

my friend did it to his ride. it was a blind test (means i didnt know that he has done it)

i usually take his car out for a weekend spin. good friend of mine.

my verdict, almost no difference. he said his steering was heavier. to me, it felt exactly the same.

around corners or bumps the chassis still flexes. he is driving a Golf GTI.

td00164306

Posted 27 April 2014 - 05:11 PM

td00164306

2nd Gear

• Members
  • 2 posts
QUOTE (jamespaul @ Apr 8 2014, 06:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
my friend did it to his ride. it was a blind test (means i didnt know that he has done it)

i usually take his car out for a weekend spin. good friend of mine.

my verdict, almost no difference. he said his steering was heavier. to me, it felt exactly the same.

around corners or bumps the chassis still flexes. he is driving a Golf GTI.

I did mine two days ago (Comfort Package + A Pillars). All I can say is it is awesome.

Emergency brakes feel less shaky. Car feel more stable on high speed (170km/h just now on MEX) and cornering with higher speed and better steer.

jamespaul

Posted 28 April 2014 - 02:36 PM

jamespaul

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 180 posts
QUOTE (td00164306 @ Apr 27 2014, 05:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I did mine two days ago (Comfort Package + A Pillars). All I can say is it is awesome.

Emergency brakes feel less shaky. Car feel more stable on high speed (170km/h just now on MEX) and cornering with higher speed and better steer.

what car are you driving?

If you are driving a 20 year old car, maybe it will make a difference.

if not, what you are feeling is the placebo effect (after spending a lot of money)

mych

Posted 08 January 2015 - 10:30 PM

mych

White Lightning

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,789 posts
If you are afraid of rust do not do it.. there is always a possibility that the water drainage channels would be clogged by foam and rust may occur.. My car did rust at the potion that the side step metal pin insert into the plastic clip of the chassis... Why did it rust? Water from rain seeping in between the side step and body and pool in the holes of the clip.. over time even the metal clips got rusted away... At one point, you may need to repair the rusted portion yourself.. .. I did bring my car for Desmond to inspect.. he faults the manufacture's design ... your call...
Mych

vr2turbo

Posted 09 January 2015 - 07:50 AM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 71,469 posts
QUOTE (mych @ Jan 8 2015, 10:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you are afraid of rust do not do it.. there is always a possibility that the water drainage channels would be clogged by foam and rust may occur.. My car did rust at the potion that the side step metal pin insert into the plastic clip of the chassis... Why did it rust? Water from rain seeping in between the side step and body and pool in the holes of the clip.. over time even the metal clips got rusted away... At one point, you may need to repair the rusted portion yourself.. .. I did bring my car for Desmond to inspect.. he faults the manufacture's design ... your call...

Depends on the cars too. My Mitsu JDM one have no such issues even after 23 years. My Chery however only 4 years old the rear side step passenger side is rusting and nothing was modded or added, means no foam etc....

jamespaul

Posted 19 March 2015 - 03:53 PM

jamespaul

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 180 posts
Autofoam is snake oil.

If your car is a kancil, maybe you'd see some effects. as the car's chassis is soft.

if you want a stiffer chassis, chassis braces, rollbars, would be better and removable.

It may reduce chassis borne noise but stiffer chassis? unlikely.

Unless, it is harder than steel. it wouldnt and couldnt make the chassis stiffer.

its like coating chocolate on a bamboo stick. will the Bamboo stick become harder? yes, but by only 0.00001%

I would challenge Desmond to put the foam in a pipe, and crack the pipe open and test how rigid the foam is