I am planning to get Camry soon but with the launch of the 2012 Camry, has created some confusion.
I have a few questions:
1. The Malaysian (Non-US) Model will only have slight variation in design?
2. When will it be available for booking?
3. The entry level is 2.5L? If this is the case, what about 2.0L?
4. Will the current model be cheaper after the new model launch?
5. Will the hybrid version be launched in Malaysia and when?
Before I bought my 2.0G in late Dec09, I already heard a lot of rumours on the Camry 2012 (then was called 2011). Not having much information from SA (as usual) and based on my gut feeling and guestimation, I proceeded to buy it because of the following own justification.
- when new camry 2012 is out, it is going to be a bolehland assembled. current camry is assembled in sawadee land. I worked with many engineers in thai and i like their working attitude. i have more confident with their workmanship on the product. look at H ass-embly plant in melaka.... the workman-sh*t is really boleh!
- many gadgets will be added, perhaps new engine and new tranny... but it wont be cheap. Even a FL already cost few Ks, do u think our dear U&W will be so nice? furthermore, Accord FL is a letdown and our dear C is selling like 700+ units pm. Surely the U&W is sharpening the parang now! Even though the SC now tell me the price could be in the same region, u believe him? I dont:)
- Yes, could be 7 speed CVT which I think its very2 nice as I tested on Altis.... But.... the current Camry is sold so widely... tested, used, fedback and for so long, it is still NOT without any problem..... so? I rather pick the old C which is already proven with most problem known and solved.... It is like not picking d problem free car but rather pick the car with the least unknown prob.
- finally when the US version of Camry 2012 is out, I think its ugly... but the JDM version looks quite good but I dont like the rear part and the interior. I hope i m not bias but I do think that the Camry 2012 JDM is more sporty looking while the current Camry is more high-class looking. As for me I prefer Camry to look highclass than sports.
The SC actually have seen the new Camry 2012 in Shah Alam and when I asked him while showing him the JDM pic, his reply " Dont know if the rear part will be nice or not hor?" he answered with doubt... haha...
Sometimes, new model can be uglier than old model (eg: Vios- Britney Spear vs Vios-Dugong)- my personal opinion.
So? U either can
- book the current camry now and push for fast delivery
- wait till 2012 model (maybe 9 more painful months to go)
- buy something else (afterall, camry is not the only option nor it is d best option)
Good luck TS