Michelin has launched the Agilis 3 for the light commercial vehicles market in Malaysia. With this tyre, the world’s leading tyre company is targeting conventional load customers involved in either people or goods transportation activities. This new tyre aims to capture the larger high-potential, light-load segment with its promise of safety, performance, and environmental consideration.
“In line with Michelin’s “Performance and Safety Made to Last” brand promise, the new MICHELIN Agilis 3 is outfitted with innovative technologies and sophisticated features for long-lasting performance with optimum safety and environmental friendliness. These attributes not only provide a competitive advantage over current competitors in the same market segment, but also reinforces Michelin’s commitment for a more sustainable mobility. Essentially, this tyre is well-positioned to be a sustainable urban growth engine. The latest breakthrough is further evidence of Groupe Michelin’s sustainable-performance strategy in favor of safer, cleaner, more accessible and more efficient mobility,” said Michelin Malaysia’s Commercial Director for B2B, Mr. Muhammad Arya Subrata.
The key Michelin technologies and features incorporated into the Agilis 3 include:
- Stone Ejectors: horizontal bars in the tread groove are designed to minimise stone trapping, resulting in a tyre that keeps customers’ downtime to a minimum and lowers their running costs
- Sidewall Shields: made with an abrasion-resistant rubber compound of 1.5 mm thickness that provides extra sidewall shoulder protection compared to the current generation, without compromising the casing flexibility
- Innovative Compound: with higher density of silica & carbon black materials for improved wet grip, fuel saving, and mileage performance
- U-Shape Grooves: allowing for higher water clearance and better wet grip performance
- Full Depth Sipes: help ensure good flexibility of the tread blocks, resulting in market-leading wet grip performance, both when new and when worn
- Under Tread: keeps the operating temperature cooler to help reduce fuel costs.
The benefits to the Agilis 3 include:
- Shorter wet braking distance by 5% or up to 1.9 meters shorter when new, and 11% or up to 3.8 meters shorter when worn, when compared to its major competitors1;
- Superior mileage performance i.e. 25% more mileage compared to the previous generation, with less downtime caused by tyre damage2.
- 12% superior rolling resistance, plus 90ml/100km less fuel consumption and 228g/100km less CO2 emission, than average competitors3.
“As 97% of MICHELIN Agilis 3 are sourced within the region, it ensures effective on-demand delivery across Asia Pacific countries, as well as minimizes environmental impact and shipment costs. Moreover, the newly launched tyre is specifically designed with RC or reinforced casing to meet challenges of the region’s usages and road conditions. With uncompromised performance plus all the benefits and advantages that come with it under the ‘Safer for Longer’ slogan, we are convinced that MICHELIN Agilis 3 will be warmly received and greatly appreciated in Malaysia,” he added.
The new MICHELIN Agilis 3 is available at all Michelin authorised commercial light truck tyre dealers nationwide.
Tyre sizes (including 4 new sizes) range from 14″ to 16″ and cover the light 1- to 3-ton load segment of the commercial light truck market. For more information, visit www.michelin.com.my.
1 Wet braking test conducted by TUV Rheinland Thailand Ltd, on Michelin’s request, in June 2020, on dimension 215/70R15C on Toyota Hiace Commuter, laden condition of 2,950 kg GVW. Comparing NEW and WORN MICHELIN Agilis 3 versus three other competitor brands of tyres. WORN condition: tyres tested at 2 mm remaining tread depth.
2 Test result from Michelin internal test, conducted on real roads in Thailand, with 215/70R15C tires fitted on Ford Ranger (pick-up truck). Load: Front axle: 1446 kg / Rear axle: 1443 kg. Wear life index was calculated by the “Harmonic average” of 4 tires assuming the Customer regularly rotates tires.
3 Rolling Resistance Test performed at Thailand Automotive Institute and certified by TUV Rheinland Thailand Ltd, on Michelin’s request, in December 2019, on dimension 215/70R15C. Comparing MICHELIN Agilis 3 RC versus other competitor brands.