Kuala Lumpur, 14 May 2018 – The All-New Nissan Serena S-Hybrid 2.0L was launched today by Edaran Tan Chong Moor Sdn Bhd (ETCM). This new model comes with great new features and some of them, though simple, make life better for Serena users.
Here are a few of the thoughtful features:-
- A 2-stage rear door opening that allows the top half to be opened as opposed to having to lift open the entire rear-most door. In tight spaces, this feature will be very much appreciated. This very thoughtful feature first appeared in the Nissan Terrano in the late 1990’s.
- Opening the side door by activating a sensor with your foot is another convenience feature. As long as you have the key in close proximity, you can get the sliding (middle) door to open simply be ‘breaking’ an electronic beam by placing your foot under the door. This is great if your arms are full of packages and you do not have a hand free to do the job.
- Third row occupants will love the fact that it is now much easier to get into and exit the Nissan Serena S-Hybrid – by simply making the door wider (in effect placing the rear side of the door further back), and allowing the 2nd row seats to slide forward, at the same time making the controls easily accessible from the back, people can get in and out of the third row more easily.
- Power switch to open the side door remotely from the third row – this makes it easy for the third row occupants to open the door.
- Walk-through cabin construction gets rid of impediments to mobility. Sliding seats also help.
There are two variants available, the Highway Star and Premium Highway Star, both of which are offered at very attractive retail prices; the Highway Star is priced at RM135,700.00 while the Premium Highway Star is priced at RM147,700. (Prices are on-the-road without insurance).
Sales and Marketing Director of ETCM, Mr. Christopher Tan said, “In 2013, ETCM was the first to introduce a hybrid MPV to Malaysia. Today, Malaysia is the first country outside of Japan to locally assemble the All-New Nissan Serena S-Hybrid. This is to support the local popularity of the all-new Nissan Serena S-Hybrid; and to date, we have already collected 1,300 bookings.”
The overall shape and dimensions remain similar to the previous Serena S-Hybrid despite this being a totally new model; the improvements many, with many being mostly internal, and aimed at making life easier for occupants.
Key external features include a new front grille, dual layer LED Projector headlamps, and LED signature lamp, a Floating Roof design, and LED Tail Lamps fashioned in an S-shape.
Nissan has adopted Nissan Intelligent Mobility (NIM) features, key highlights of which are:
- S-Hybrid system with upgraded Eco Motor that controls the Idling Stop system, and provides additional torque assist in start-up acceleration. During deceleration, it also acts as an alternator to charge up the batteries.
- An Intelligent Around View Monitor (i-AVM) that uses 4 cameras to provide a 360 degree bird’s eye view of the vehicle.
- Intelligent Moving Object Detection (I-MOD) that detects and alerts the driver of moving objects around the vicinity of the vehicle.
- Intelligent Driver Alertness (I-DA) that senses steering pattern to detect drowsiness and alerts the driver by a polite alarm and a suggestion to stop for a coffee break.
- Smartphone connectivity with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto.
Power comes from a 2.0 litre (MR20DD) Twin CVTC engine paired to a Nissan XTRONIC CVT with Adaptive Shift Control (ASC). Maximum output is 150 PS at 6,000 rpm, with a maximum torque of 200 Nm at 4,400 rpm. Fuel economy is mooted at 14.2 km/litre (based on NEDC R101). The Nissan Serena S-Hybrid gets Energy Efficient Vehicle (EEV Status).
Tomorrow, we will be going on a media drive organized by ETCM – we will be taking an extended drive to Penang to check out the Nissan Serena S-Hybrid – Stay Tuned for updates!