Proton has officially launched the 2017 Iriz hatchback with 4 variants available:
- 1.3 Standard Manual (RM 43,800)
- 1.3 Standard CVT (RM 46,800)
- 1.3 Executive CVT (RM 50,800)
- 1.6 Premium CVT (RM 58,800)
All prices are on-the-road with insurance.
And while it looks very similar to the outgoing one, it nevertheless has been improved and refined. The improvements are adapted from the development of the new Saga and Persona, and have more to do with the car’s character than its appearance.
- Black front grille
- Roof, rear spoiler and mirrors in black
- 2 new colors – Ruby Red & Carnelian Brown (in addition to the existing Graphite Grey, Atlantic Blue and Cotton White)
- Combi-leather interior with red stitching on seats, steering wheel and carpets (Premium only)
- New fabric upholstery with red and blue stripes for other variants
- Gloss trim on dashboard (Premium only)
- New infotainment unit with screen mirroring (Premium only)
- New meter cluster with Eco Drive Assist indicator
- New gear lever
- Keyless entry and push-button start for Executive and Premium variants
- Improved noise insulation (Proton claims cabin noise has been reduced by 5 decibels)
- Reduced engine mounts to 3 instead of 4 for reduced vibration and improved refinement
- Retuned ECU and TCU for quicker acceleration and engine responsiveness
- New exhaust system
The engines remain unchanged and still produce 94 hp & 120 Nm (1.3 VVT), and 107 hp & 150 Nm (1.6 VVT).
Safety equipment too remain unchanged with dual airbags, ISOFIX points, Anti-lock Braking System with Electronic Brake-force Distribution, Brake Assist, Electronic Stability Control, Traction Control and Hill Start Assist. However, the Premium variant gets a total of 6 airbags.
We had a go with all the variants around Proton’s test track, including the outgoing model as comparison, and found the improvements made to the noise, vibration and harshness (NVH) levels as well as drivability and engine responsiveness to be very apparent.