Honda Malaysia Sdn. Bhd. has issued an update on their recall exercise for models affected by the Takata airbag issue. Honda Malaysia continues to alert and inform its customers of the importance of replacing the affected vehicles’ airbags and has undertaken the following measures to reach the owners of vehicles affected by the recalls, including:
• Mailing more than 240,000 letters to owners.
• Advertising campaign and issued press releases to notify the public.
• Notice on Honda website, and made available VIN (chassis number) search of affected vehicles on www.honda.com.my
• Outreach campaigns at all on-ground activities and roadshows.
• Sending emails to more than 35,000 owners.
• Blasting SMS to more than 126,000 customers.
• Sharing information about the recall in Honda’s ‘With Dreams’ magazine.
• Phone calls to customers – calls made to more than 2,000 customers thus far.
Here’s what to do if you HAVE received a notification:
And what to do if you HAVEN’T received any notification:
Below is Honda Malaysia’s official statement, ad verbatim:
Honda Malaysia sincerely regrets the inconvenience caused by Takata airbag inflator recalls and would like to apologize to our affected customers for the low stock of the replacement parts and for not being able to meet the replacement demands from the customers recently. We would like to assure that Honda is committed to addressing the needs and concerns of our customers who are affected by the current situation coming from the Takata airbag inflator issue. We have been working to secure an increasing supply of replacement parts from Takata, asking them to improve the supply of replacement parts, and we continue to expand the supply from other suppliers, such as Daicel, Autoliv and TRW. Honda Malaysia will continuously take every possible measure to ensure the replacement parts become promptly available so that our customers’ vehicles can be repaired as soon as possible.
1. Parts Supply and Stock Availability Outlook
Honda is currently working with Takata Corporation to increase supply for the replacement parts, and the replacement parts for Takata DRIVER front airbag inflators have started arriving since last week. We will ensure the replacement parts are delivered to all our dealers nationwide as soon as possible. Based on our thorough studies on the supply, we are now certain that Honda Malaysia will be able to have 100% stock availability for Takata DRIVER front airbag inflators by mid-August 2016 to ensure the replacement of the affected parts of the relevant recalls.
In the meantime, as for the replacement parts for the affected Takata PASSENGER front airbag inflators, we are still unable to give indications when we will be able to secure 100% stock availability in Malaysia, due to the shortage of the parts we have been experiencing globally since May 2016. Honda Malaysia will continue our best efforts to improve our stock level as soon as possible for the replacement. The company plans to inform our customers when the parts availability outlook becomes much clearer.
Due to the multiple recalls for Takata front airbag inflators, it would be possible that one vehicle is recalled for both Takata driver and passenger front airbags inflators. In this circumstance, however, there is a possibility that both airbags inflators in the vehicle might not be changed at one time due to the low availability of the replacement parts for Takata PASSENGER front airbag inflators. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience and would like to seek for our customers’ understanding.
2. Service Capacity
While we work towards ensuring enough stock for replacement, we also look into our servicing capacity ensuring priority for airbag inflator change. Thus, we are focusing on the following measures to increase the capacity for Takata airbag inflator related recalls:
- Reduce the Preventive Maintenance Service Schedule (maintenance service) intake starting 20th July 2016 at our dealers to 50% in order to increase the capacity for airbag inflator replacement. As priority is being given to airbag inflator replacement, there is a possibility that the normal preventive maintenance service might not be met. Honda Malaysia, in such cases, will extend the maintenance period and reflect accordingly in the warranty period of the involved cars.
- Open three (3) temporary Central Hubs to further increase capacity for airbag inflator replacement. These three hubs will operate 7 days a week to provide additional centres for airbag inflator replacement, helping alleviate limited dealer capacities for airbag inflator replacement activity, and also to provide storage for the required parts. The locations of the Central Hubs will be announced soon.
- Open Mobile Hubs nationwide to make it more convenient for customers to reach servicing venues and to ensure faster and easier airbag inflator replacement process. The locations and details of these Mobile Hubs will be announced soon.
We sincerely regret the inconvenience and distress caused by the Takata front airbag inflator recalls and parts shortage, as well as the delay in updating the replacement parts availability outlook. Safety of our customers is our highest priority and Honda Malaysia will do the best to ensure parts availability and sufficient service capacity together with our authorized dealers in Malaysia. We thank our customers for their kind patience and understanding.
In an effort to provide better platform for communication, Honda Malaysia has set up a special page www.productrecall.honda.com.my so that customers can log in to have better understanding on recall process flow. We have also prepared a Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) to address customers’ concern and queries on the website for easy reference.
Note: Servicing for Parallel Imported Honda Vehicles
At Honda Malaysia, safety is our priority. Hence, the company is extending the replacement of Takata airbag inflators to parallel imported Honda vehicles, which were not sold by authorized Honda dealers in Malaysia. The owners of the parallel imported Honda vehicles are advised to contact any authorized Honda dealers in the country for the details of the required preparations to have their vehicles repaired as soon as possible. Cost of parts and labour for the airbag inflator replacement will be borne by Honda Malaysia.